Review Highlights
Awesome with the kids!

It was our first time surfing (41 yo, 10 yo, 7 yo) and all three of us did great thanks to the... read more

Reviewed September 6, 2017
mcleanmafia
via mobile
Best surfing experience!

We booked a two hour lesson for our two boys, ages 8 & 10. We met Christian at Dog Beach in Del Mar... read more

Reviewed August 21, 2017
aliciaw1012
Salt Lake City, Utah
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 27, 2015

Learning how to surf has long been on my bucket list! Despite living in a family of surfers, no one has been successful in helping me check this off my list, until I met Christian! I have been a teacher and coach my entire adult life, so I immediately recognized Christian's proficiency as both a teacher and coach. Christian's patience, expertise and knowledge of the ocean, as well as his step by step, simple, yet extremely effective instructions and technique, instilled confidence in me. Christian recognized that I had anxieties of the board, the waves and the wildlife. He provided me the tools to overcome these fears that had prevented me from being successful in the past. Always keeping safety first, Christian initially pushed me into the waves but before long I was catching wave after wave on my own! It was truly the most exhilarating and personally rewarding day of my life! I was finally surfing alongside my family and turtles! Thank you, Christian, for a day I'll never forget!

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed June 9, 2015

If you are interested in surfing as a hobby or more I would Highly Recommend Christian at Progressive Surf Academy.
I was shocked to find myself riding waves during my first one-on-one lesson (and I'm not exactly a youngster). I have progressed significantly since and look forward to my next lesson. He is not only a professional surfer but a very professional, patient, skilled and awesome TEACHER. I was really nervous - surfing can be risky if you don't know what you are doing; Christian does all he can to make lessons Safe, Productive and Fun. He provided the gear, location and was right there with me throughout each lessons. I'm going to buy a board and gear now that I know I can actually surf. It's an empowering and gratifying experience to actually ride a wave.
I took lessons with a popular surf group in La Jolla and didn't get anything close to the quality of time and instruction I'm getting with PSA (I've also taken surf lessons from my surfer friends and don't recommend that at all!). He is very efficient, making sure each lesson is productive and enjoyable. He teaches adults (young and old), kids and even experienced surfers that want to up their skills.
I can't say enough good things about my learning experience with Christian and PSA of San Diego.

Reviewed May 24, 2015

My husband and I took our first ever surf lessons with Christian a few weeks ago and it was a great experience. I had never so much as held a surf board before and by the second run I was standing up and riding a wave. He does a short on land lesson about how to stand on the board and then the rest of the time you are in the water actually practicing. The best thing about the lesson is how much hands on help he provides. He's out there with you, so after each run he can tell you what you did well and what you should do differently. This is how we figured out that even though I'm right-handed, I should lead with my left while surfing. He also points out when to ride the wave which is so necessary if you don't know how to "read the waves" yet. He is also an all around friendly and pleasant guy. We opted to get photos done from his friend Sean, which I would also recommend if you don't have special water cameras, or someone else with you who is not surfing to take the pictures. Overall highly recommend.

Reviewed May 21, 2015

Took my 3 girls for SUP lessons today and we had a great time, Christian is a great instructor and has a great personality. We would definitely come back for surf lessons!

Reviewed May 16, 2015

Christian is one of the best instructors that you can have. He first taught me when he was teaching on the North Shore of Oahu and I could not have asked for a better instructor. He cares about your safety while surfing and working on specific goals during your lesson to help you improve, not just pushing you into waves like so many surf schools do. He is excellent in teaching both children and adults and understands whatever challenges you might have to becoming a better surfer (for myself being an over 40 year old who had a lot of anxiety about being in the ocean). Check out his school. You will leave very happy about your surfing experience.