“Great Little Secret in San Diego”

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #13 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Oak Park
“Great Little Secret in San Diego”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Off the beaten path, this hotel is in a perfect location between La Jolla and Del Mar. Great front desk service.

Nice touch with the water, fruit, muffins and cookies laid out for all guest.

Gym is small but nice... elliptical, treadmill, free weights and bench. Everything you need just to "get a quick workout done."

Room was clean (and smelled great).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I consider myself a picky traveler and I spent quite a deal of time on TripAdvisor looking for the right hotel for my recent visit to the La Jolla area. Thanks to TripAdvisor's reviews, I found this wonderful hotel. It is very close to UC San Diego. I stayed at the hotel while my daughter was visiting the school. I did not put an early arrival request in my reservation, but I arrived very early (before 8:00 a.m.)...many hours before check-in, which I believe was about 3:00 p.m. I was prepared to have to kill time and come back, but luckily the hotel was able to accommodate my very early check-in and put me in a room right away and without charging me anything extra. The room itself was very nice, quiet and clean. The bed was comfortable and there were lots of pillows. There was a coffeemaker, small frig and microwave in the room. There is a grocery store only a few miles away, so I bought food and used the frig and microwave, which saved me money by not having to eat out at a restaurant for 4 meals.

I went down to the pool area, which is charming. It was clean and there were lots of new towels there. There's a small pool and jacuzzi and a few nice lounge chairs and a table and chairs. It's a nice place to sit and read. No one else was there when I went down, and I enjoyed the peace and quiet.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the La Jolla area, who wants a nice clean safe place to stay, without having to shell out the big bucks for a room. Many other hotels in the La Jolla area are $200+ a night. My room with my AAA discount was about $135 a night...with tax and all, it came to about $148.

The staff was kind, helpful and friendly. Parking is free. Overall, this is a great hotel and is well worth the money. I give it 5 stars and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Save money eating out by keeping food in the frig in the room and using the microwave.
1 Thank DiscreetTraveler5
Parris P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hi Discreet Traveler, first allow me to thank you for taking the time to give us a five star rating, it truly is appreciated. I'm extremely glad that we were able to accommodate your early arrival and that you were able to enjoy our amenities, pool, and staff. We look forward to seeing you next time, and should you have any further comments, questions, or suggestions please feel free to contact me personally.
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Glad we decided to stay here! Nice hotel, the beds are ok (not a big fan of this hotel chains beds so nothing not expected), good location, the restaurant/food was great and the staff is amazing! The people who worked there went above and beyond and were always super friendly and super helpful! I love great service and they definitely provided it. The spa is nice, too bad we weren't able to get in, all the appointments had been booked up.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Sorrels13, I'm so glad and appreciative that you took the time to review your stay with us, and to provide us with a five star review. I'm happy you had a chance to dine with us and enjoyed the staff as well. I hope that next time you're able to enjoy our spa services. Should you need any assistance booking spa packages in the future or have any other comments or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact me personally.
scottsdale, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Great hotel, very friendly and very helpful. Great location to cruise around with everything within an easy drive. surrounding street traffic was not nearly as bad as expected. Easy to get anywhere you need to go. This place is excellent!

Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Visiting wanted a quiet place to stay tried and it was perfect. Great location tucked away in quiet residental area, yet close enough to everything you need. Cozy with friendly staff. Try it if you need getaway. Great value for area. Easy access to freeways. Wonderful staff.

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at how full service this hotel was from the staff to the amenities. It has a lovely, comfortable lobby complete with a lounging area and a fireplace. There are high ceiling with plenty of natural light. The hotel provided fruit infused water and cookies. It has a restaurant and bar area as well. The room and bathroom were a nice size. The shower had excellent water pressure. I was very happy with my hotel selection and would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank jennlarra
Phoenix, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The room was much quieter than I expected, perfect for napping children! The room was fairly spacious. The only complaint was that service was slow. We left the room at 9:00 am and returned at 1:30 pm and the room had still not been made up yet, even though housekeeping was right outside of our door when we left and saw us leave. The room was a little far away from Sea World (our primary reason for visiting) and most other things, but we were going for inexpensive over convenience. We drove, so being out of the way was somewhat annoying but not a deal breaker.