“not my first stay - won't be my last”

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #12 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I am a Hilton Honors member and this was my 5th stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, San Diego Del Mar. As always, all good. This hotel is close to the vendor I regularly visit and not far from many restaurants. If you do not want to venture out, the restaurant at the hotel is excellent and the staff is fabulous. Genevieve is attentive and entertaining at the bar! The rooms are nice and quiet. As a business traveler, I appreciate that. The beds are amazing! Sleep number! So comfy! The latest addition is the Kuerig brewer in the room. I could never get a decent cuppa from the little coffee makers. This little device makes my morning that much better. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank cahanz

Reviewed December 22, 2013

My wife, 2 daughters (7 & 11) and I stayed here for one night the day before Thanksgiving. We wish we could have stayed longer as the hotel was perfect for us.

We had just spent the previous 3 days at Disneyland and popped down to San Diego for a quick visit to Sea World as we had tickets from the previous year that were still good. I had looked at hotels in the area around Sea World, and wasn't very impressed. In the past we had visited family in the Carmel Valley area, and knew it was a nice area, close to the freeways, and 15 minutes from Sea World.

The hotel location is 5 minutes from the freeway in what I would describe as a residential area with apartments close by. We drove up from Sea World and arrived at the hotel around 7PM at night. We already stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo earlier in our trip, and knew what to expect, but even so this hotel still managed to impress.

The lobby is nice with some seating to the right as you walk in with the restaurant on the left. The front desk clerk was friendly and checked us in rather quick which was appreciated. Our room was on the 2nd floor and it met all of our expectations. The room is a bit tight for a family of four, but it has two queen beds which is a must, and we were able to make it work. The room looked modern and felt fresh and inviting and was very clean. We dropped our bags and decided to eat at Bistro 39 as I didn't want to spend driving anywhere and looking for a restaurant.

As we learned in El Segundo, one of the greatest assets of the Hilton Garden Inn are its restaurants. Bistro 39 is no exception, they have high quality food with good selection at reasonable prices. There is a kids menu that kept both kids happy (very important) with a good selection for dinner. My wife had the steak salad, and I had the Pan Fried Pistachio Chicken Breast with a blueberry wine reduction which was absolutely delicious. With drinks and Key Lime Pie dessert (also very delicious), it was a bit pricey but worth every penny.

The next day we decided to eat breakfast there which was a great decision. It's a buffet, but you can get made to order dishes from a menu (i.e. french toast, omelette, pancakes, etc.), and once again they had a kids menu with chocolate chip pancakes among other things. The buffet had oatmeal, cereal, juices, toast, etc. All in all it was a great meal at a great price, and it was a perfect way to start the day.

We checked out shortly after breakfast and as we were wrapping up, the clerk brought out some kind of oatmeal bars and encouraged us to take a couple for the road. We were stuffed at that point in time, but they came in handy later in the day when the kids were hungry and needed a snack.

We got to Sea World and discovered we forgot a poncho in the closet back at the room that we bought at Disneyland for the wet rides. I called the hotel, the front desk clerk said she would check with housekeeping, and 10 minutes later I received a call back telling me they had the poncho. We ended up stopping by the hotel on our drive back to the LA area later in the afternoon which worked out well.

The bottom line is that we enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Del Mar, and we definitely will stay here the next time we are in San Diego.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kurt M
Reviewed December 22, 2013

On my first trip to San Diego, I chose this hotel first & foremost b/c they did not charge for parking & the reviews I had read were very favorable. We very much enjoyed our stay, the staff was very courteous and attentive, hotel was clean & pleasing to the eye. We enjoyed breakfast at least 3 times in the restaurant, and the price was very reasonable for the amount of food they offer. You could participate in the buffet & also order something from the grill, my kind of place ! I would definitely stay again & would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area. BTW, I loved San Diego ! JG from Arlington, Texas

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan G
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I had an incredible experience with this hotel. The location is excellent. It is convenient to restaurants and the freeways . The staff was extremely courteous and pleasant. All of my interactions were smooth and flawless. The room was large and very comfortable. The rate was reasonable for this hotel. I look forward to a return to this hotel.

2  Thank Mark B
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you Mark B for the great review! We pride ourselves in our levels of service, quality of amenities and convenience of location and it seems that you had the chance to enjoy all of those. We are pleased to see your great rating and we hope to have you back next time you are in the San Diego area.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I am a Hilton Honors member and I usually prefer to stay in the Hilton Garden Inn. I really enjoyed my stay for 2 nights. First the staff in the reception were very friendly and courteous. The location is well suited to reach nice restaurants and shops within few minutes. The location is close to hit the 805 & 5 highways. The room and the overall atmosphere was very clean and quiet for a tired business traveler. All in all, great experience.

1  Thank ThangadG
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Del Mar Hilton Garden Inn for 4 nights during the busy Thanksgiving week. What a total delight in this hotel, starting with the Manager on down to EVERY staff member. When we came in late at night, there was a staff member to greet and chat with us. We had breakfast every morning in the restaurant, and enjoyed the cooked to order meals. We always stay at Hilton Garden Inns because of the adjustable beds, quiet and clean rooms, and the wonderful mobility accessible accommodations as well. .

Room Tip: Higher floors and away from the elevator gives you a quieter experience.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Rita U
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights before hopping on a cruise ship to Hawaii. We have found Hilton Garden Inns to be clean, reasonably priced, and having dining and beverages on the premises. This particular Garden Inn fit our needs precisely!
We found the check-in process easy and friendly, desk staff very personable. Our room with balcony was clean and large enough not to feel cramped for space. I thought that the balcony would provide some kind of view of something nice, but it actually was walled in and only would have been useful had we been smokers who could use it in that way. I wouldn't pay extra for a "balcony room" again.
The restaurant and bar on main level were a delight. The food here is much better than the usual "comfort food" found at other Garden Inns. Breakfast is buffet plus cook-to-order service. The dinner menu has many selections and the chef is very good. This was especially ideal as there aren't other restaurants very close-by and we didn't want to fight the California traffic to go to dinner. Instead, dinner in sufficed very well. Dining and bar staff were very accommodating. If you are inclined to venture out, the front desk has a list of restaurants, drug stores, service stationss, etc and directions to all. Very helpful! Lunch is served at a connecting deli.
The location is very convenient to the Del Mar beaches and to downtown San Diego. If we return to SD, we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the balcony rooms unless you need to go outside and smoke your cigs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SharpShoey
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear SharpShoey,

Thanks for your review of our property! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your room, the Bistro and the level of service you experienced. We are constantly striving to be everything for every guest, and we are pleased to know that we provided what you needed. We hope you enjoyed your cruise and we look forward to having you stay with us again!