“Never going there again.”

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #16 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
California, United States
“Never going there again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

The location of the hotel was horrible, there was nothing near by. The pool didn't get any sunlight until late afternoon and only lasted a few hours. Very bad tv channel selection and no guide. No comp breakfast. Comforter was not up to par. Room didn't look like room online. One of the elevators was broken. Tea/Food was overpriced. No tourist guides/pamphlets. Way overpriced! The employees were very helpful though!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YoliMS1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We just returned home from a three day stay in San Diego. The hotel is very nice, well decorated and clean. The rooms are really nice. The only complaint I have was that they need better instructions on amenities. I spent two nights on a hard bed because I wasn't aware of the garden sleep system. There were no advertisements or instructions in the room. Aside from a place card at the front desk( of which I don't remember being there when I arrived) there is no other indication of a bed that goes from firm to soft. I did voice this concern and they offered a free breakfast for all in my room..(two adults, two kids). The breakfast is made to order and omelets are wonderful. Didn't quite compensate for my whole body being sore, but at least they showed concern and tried to make up for my two nights of hell. I took part responsibility because I didn't voice my concern on night one. Anyway upon leaving I called Hilton guest services and let them know what happened and explained I'm letting you know so hopefully you can fix the problem by publicizing the sleep system better..well they decided to send me a voucher for a free night at any Hilton within the US. She wanted to credit my room back to my card but I reserved through a third party, so they don't have the transaction. I'm OK with the voucher since we like to travel and we love the Hilton hotels.
The hotel is situated in a residential area so very quiet. Its at least 20 minutes from all attractions, but it wasn't bad when you take everything you need for the day with you. Overall it was a lovely stay. The staff was exceptional. I didn't get the guys on night shifts names but I really wanted to praise the one that suggested Urban plates!!!Wonderful food and very reasonably priced!!! In the morning the wait staff in the breakfast area and Rona the front desk clerk were all very nice and helpful. Even the housekeeping lady on our floor was nice. I would definitely stay here again!..

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank uniqueiz
Kevin E, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you very much for writing such a detailed review. I am so sorry to hear about your uncomfortable evening due to the firm mattress setting. I will be immediately addressing this to make sure each guest is aware of our wonderful adjustable mattresses when entering your guest room. I am very pleased to hear that our staff was sincere and truly took care of your needs, as that is what we are here for. I have shared your review with Rona and the entire team, we all appreciate your kind words.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

All in all, this is one of the best HGI's ever. The internet is fast, the beds are nice, the rooms are the standard HGI rooms but they are clean, newer and fresh. The restaurant is a full service restaurant that, actually, is pretty good!

What I like:
The rooms: these are why we come to hotels. The beds are great, the fridge is nice (standard HGI) as is the microwave. The balcony rooms are great as they allow you to open the door for fresh air. The TV's are a good size (not great, but not tiny) and the AC in the rooms is quiet and works great. All in all it's what you'd expect. Oh, and the kitchen is good!

What I didn't like.
I can't say I really didn't like it as I expected it - the gym is, well, lacking. There are a few pieces of cardio but nothing else. Again, I expected this so it's not really a complaint, it's just the way most HGI's are. This is a small nit-pick though, overall it's a great property.

Summary:
Stay here if you are in the carmel valley/mountain area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AgileDude
Channel Islands National Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I wanted to stay north of San Diego, close to the freeway, but didn't want the crowds of Hotel Circle. This HGI was perfect for this. It is in a nice area and easy to find. The hotel staff are really over the top on hospitality. In the lobby is Bistro 39 for any meals you need so that you don't have to drive anywhere. There are some other places to eat, including a Ruth's Chris Steak house about a mile or so down the road. Again, the hotel staff is really nice and helpful. The breakfast in the morning is a fairly good buffet with everything you need, but they do have cooked to order if you want that also.

Room Tip: If you sleep early, they you should take a room on the opposite side of the pool. We were on the 4t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed one night. The hotel is clean and quiet. The staff are very friendly! Decided to eat at their restaurant and had the Pecan crusted Chicken... WOW! It was delicious. And the cookies in the lobby were a nice treat. I would definitely stay here again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the location fool you, this is one of the nicest HGI's I've ever stayed at - and I travel for a living!!!

From the front desk staff on, this property never disappoints. Nice, clean rooms and a very helpful staff!

Good for business travelers (only 15 - 20 mins from SAN) with quick access to many prominent employers and, local restaurants and great beaches!!

• Stayed March 2013
Lewisville, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is an excellent place to stay. I arrived there without a reservation, but they had no trouble providing me with a king room for the two nights I needed. I also had breakfast each morning: french toast one day and an omlet the other, and both were cooked to order and excellent. The staff was friendly and even remembered my name. The room was cheap compared to prices I've paid in a central district, downtown areas (San Francisco or New York City, for example) and was generally in better condition. I am definitely impressed with this hotel.