“Steps away from Gaslamp and Petco” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lucky D's Hostel

Lucky D's Hostel
New Westminster
“Steps away from Gaslamp and Petco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed here by myself the week of Apr08-17 had a blast the staff were great, nice and helpful. The hostel is like 4 blocks from Petco Park home of the Padres!! It is right in the Gaslamp Quarter and close to sooo many Bars and Pubs its great! Room was clean and showers and bathrooms were clean too! Common area was a great place to have a beer or just lounge and read a book.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
LuckyDsHostel, Manager at Lucky D's Hostel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hi Corey,
You seem to have had an enjoyable stay at Lucky D's which is fantastic and by the sounds of things you made the most what the hostel and San Diego has to offer. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I arrived at Lucky D's as a lone traveller & left with plenty of friends across the world & within San Diego. I cannot speak highly enough of Lucky D's. The hostel has very helpful staff, is super clean and the meals provided are to a very high standard. The ICT facilities are very good and a phone is also provided. This really is a fantastic place to meet new friends. The only hostel to stay in San Diego. A special mention to staff members Jenowa & Megan for their help - thank you. Though all staff were friendly & helpful.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review George, glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to tell Jenowa and Megan about your glowing review. Hope to see you again soon!
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Had an awesome time in Lucky D's. The cleanest hostel I have EVER been to! The staff is so cool and there are plenty of things going on in the common room every day. And Saturdays are FREE beer!! If you want to stay in Gaslamp, Lucky D's is the place to be bar none!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review of the hostel. So glad you had a good stay here and you took full advantage of everything the hostel offers! Hope to see you again
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

A friendly and great priced family run hostel in a hard to beat location downtown. There is an amazing amount of freebies such as wifi, breakfast etc my only gripes would be a fair bit of noise at night ( but thats mainly due to city location) and that it could be a little cleaner! id definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review. Glad you had a good time and made the most of the amenities that we have to offer. We'd love to have you visit again!
Belo Horizonte, MG
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

It's been a while since I last stayed in a hostel. This place was ok, I could use a kitchen, save some money, maybe meet new people to ease the loneliness of my one-man-trip, get some hints from real people who live there instead of support from cold professionals in hotels. Well, I'm in my forties and not rich but can afford a single room for myself; after Lucky D's, I just cancelled the other hostel reservations for my trip and decided to go to simple, affordable, clean, well located and safe hotels instead. Not that Lucky D's isn't any of that; some people there (mainly the lady who tidied up in the kitchen, the girl working there with her baby in a backbag, and the guy playing the electrician were doing their best to make everything work. The first day, when I stopped by just to drop my luggage and kept going instead of checking in, the girl at the reception desk even offered me to have breakfast there with a lovely smile! However, I must confess the general atmosphere did not please me. To start with, the decoration is horrible. Honestly, I'm no prissy but what the heck are those walls, paintings, sculptures and pictures? It all looks as if it was bought second hand in cheap garage sales, or maybe just junk somebody threw away... (Am I just prejudiced? Well, I checked USA Hostel in San Francisco -- which I cancelled after Lucky D's -- to answer this question and surely answered no.) By the way, my room (and the hotel in general) has a shabby carpet, not the wooden floor I saw in some photos. But what really irritated me was many guests and some guys who work there (also live there?) attitude: a general careless, selfish, almost rude behavior that definitely made me put away the place. I'm talking about nobody saying hi, excuse me or looking at you in the eyes even when you're sharing the table, facing each other. Is this socializing? I guess to socialize there you need to grab a beer and act like you do in a bar. Well, that's past for me, life has taught me better ways. Now I got used to people with minimal manners and a decent talk, can't stand much bad language anymore. Believe you or not, I smile and chit chat with all polite strangers I can in a new town, also to talk in another language, but I honestly did not find much of this kind of people in Lucky D's. So if all this sounds fudge to you, stay there, otherwise search a bit more.

Room Tip: They have single rooms too (I do not know if private bathrooms are available; the common bathrooms w...
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed in a couple of hostels before and the lucky d's is one of my favourite (if not the most) ;)
I've travelled with a friend in our car. we didn't plan anything, except of the flight back to our country. So we were really happy when we met all the nice guys from the lucky d's, who were easygoing and thoughtful. We could always stay there when we came back to san diego, even we called them on the same day we've needed a place to stay.

Also the location of the hostel is perfect for everyone. you're near the public transportation, gaslamp quarter and in 20 - 30min you're at the beach(by car).

Thanks for all guys it was absolutely great :) see you soon

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the compliments Illari, we're pleased that you had such a good stay here and yes, hopefully see you soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Perfect staying al the hostel with nice people.. I were there with four friends for there night and We had too much fun with the others guests and the crew staff.. The spanish girl of the staff Aymara is so cool!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review Esteban. Glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and I will let Aymara know about your review. Hope to see you back at the hostel again.