“top hostel, sweet location”
Review of Lucky D's Hostel

Lucky D's Hostel
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Awesome place, super cool building and clean. Staff are helpful and great to meet, the front office desk with Loes, Nat, Micheal are all super stoked to help out... recomend it for sure if your staying in San Diego. Also they have free food some nights!! top eats.

Room Tip: top floor is more quiet and view is nice
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed i think on the 2nd level in a 4 bed dorm (females only) with shared bathroom. My review does seem to be a bit out of the ordinary compared to the others for this hostel, and really not sure why there are so many positive ratings. Anyhow:

The room we were allocated smelt AWFUL. I can't even describe it - I think someone threw up somewhere and the windows hadnt been open so the smell was sort of just festering. It was so bad! We turned on the ceiling fan which did help, but everytime we got back to the room, we could smell it. I don't know how it smelt like that - was such a mystery. To be fair though, after ten minutes or so, it was possible to get used to the smell...

I thought the guy at reception was a bit weird, but this is a hostel.

The sheets didn't look very clean and we ended up going to Ross to buy new ones. There was hair all over my sheets (as well as the sheets of the 2 other girls I was with), so not sure when it had been changed.

The shared bathroom was fine - fairly clean (suprisingly).... I think there were only 2 showers on the floor though.

I've stayed in hostels before (Europe and Aus), but this was definitely by far the worst.

WiFI worked fine.

Room Tip: Don't get the one that reeks on the 2nd floor. Avoid it. It is a bright hot pink colour.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pagda2013
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed here last month with my girl, Shelia, during our anniversary weekend. Never been to san diego before, and shelia always talked about it, so I was like, "Why not?" Things are going pretty well at the garage, I can afford to take some time off.

Lucky D's was clean, affordable, and most importantly the staff was friendly and hospitable. Hamza was the man.

Shelia got mad cause it was our anniversary, and she didnt want to eat at McDonalds. I dont get why she didnt just say something if she didnt want burgers? So I ate both burgers, and she went back and locked herself in the room. Hamza was all like "Don't worry man, she loves you. She'll unlock the door when she's ready." He let me hang out while Shelia was in the room. We had a really great talk.

Well, Hamza was right, and Shelia came out of the room, adn the rest of the trip was great. l will definitely be back again!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank etthayer
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here for a night and it was awesome. Great location and friendly staff. Hamza, one of the guys running the place, was super nice and helped point me in the direction of some cool places to check out in the neighborhood. Highly recommended; I'll definitely stay here again if I'm in San Diego.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I had so much funs at this hostels! Great location in San Diego by bar and nightlife. Food was good and helpful with activities for museum. It was clean and people were all nice. Big John was so nice and helpful with locker. Want to go back next year!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I've never been in a hostel before, this was my first experience, and it was a really good experience. I really enjoyed my stay, everything was perfect, the staff was really helpful and cheerful especially one guy named Hamza, this is the best place to stay in san diego.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I traveled to San Diego and lived here for a couple days. This is a simple and warm place. Great atmosphere to meet new friends. Brion is a roommate of mine who is very talented and fun. He shared a lot of information to me. This is the best choice to stay and find inspiration for artists, musicians, and travelers!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo