“Hearty Homefries…!”

Shades Oceanfront Bistro
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Shades is a family owned and operated restaurant located in beautiful Ocean Beach California. We're lucky enough to have the world's best customers, and a fabulous view (unfortunately, we can't take credit for either!)Shades specializes in great food, unique cocktails,generous portions, and friendly service.We have indoor and PATIO SEATINGOpen Daily 6:30am - 9:00pm(10:00pm in the summer)Offering Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner,and a really rockin' Happy Hour!We're a casual place, so come as you are. We don't take reservations and you might have a bit of a wait,but hey, it'll be worth it!
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had breakfast there and we were quite impressed with the home fries,
the sourdough bread. Our meals were hearty and tasty….and the drinks were strong and tasty!
It has ample space with a nice patio area that looks out onto the beach; great for people watching.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Went here for breakfast with my family ... The food was good and the pancakes were great ... Food was set at a good price .. The service was decent the waitress was very short and unemotional and very robotic but the food was good

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Shade's was recommended to us by our hotel staff (right next door) for breakfast. I wasn't super hungry, so I had a smaller breakfast - a bagel and fresh fruit. The bagel was good and the watermelon was delicious, but it was my husband's breakfast that really wowed us. I can't remember the name, but it was eggs atop toast, with pesto, sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. Yes, I had a bite... or several. I'm not huge on breakfast food usually, but this was unique and very "brunchy", we both really liked it.
Service was decent, coffee was good, and of course, the patio was dog friendly, for thise of you out with the dogs.
Though that was the only meal we had there, looking over the menu, it looked like they had a nice array of items I wouldn't mind trying out on a future trip.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This place was so good, we went back twice for Breakfast. It is a family style, with patio place that has many kinds of breakfast and serves lunch, salads and dinner, all at a reasonable price. My favorite was the Beast Bagel and the French toast with eggs. Yes, I can eat but I burn it off at the beach all day.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We went to breakfast with our 7 pound pup while visiting ocean beach. Egg beater omelet was very good. They had a menu of beef or chicken for dogs so we went with the chicken. Kept him busy. Location is nice close to beach.