“Pleasantly Surprised”

Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Went to Fred's on Garnet because we were too tired to search out other options. The décor was cute and the service excellent. Loved the chips and salsa bar, the happy hour margaritas, the fish tacos and the guacamole (these chips were hot and seasoned and appeared to have been fried). For our sides - not sure what type of beans they used, but they were whole and nicely flavored. The rice was probably the best I've had in a Mexican restaurant. I think it was cooked with cilantro which I happen to like. Definitely not the typical blah refried beans and flavorless red rice.
I also ordered a pork taco and thought the smoky, almost barbecue flavor did not hit a Mexican note, but my husband loved it.

Service was helpful with ordering, incredibly fast and fun.

There are newer reviews for Fred's Mexican Cafe

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Service was very Friendly and Welcoming. I thought that the food was good. I wish Mexican restaurants had more variety as sides other than Black Beans and Mexican Rice. Overall great restaurant for the entire family in the Gas Lamp!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I love a good margarita, the Diva Rita has won my heart in best beverages! The food is delicious! The atmosphere is old style Mexican heritage, with added sports channel on the big screen TVs, great music, and lots of laughter at each table... This is by far my favorite Mexican restaurant!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We always have to have a visit to Fred's Mexican whenever we come to San Diego. We usually go to the one in Old Town but this one in Pacific Beach was on our way home from a golf outing. I don't like the atmosphere as much as the one in Old Town but it's fine. They now have a salsa bar where you go up and get your own chips and choice of salsa. We always enjoy their big, giant burritos.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I visited here in August 2013. We both enjoyed the food and couldn't fault it. The prices were very reasonable and the restaurant had an excellent atmosphere.

The only thing stopping us giving it 5 stars was the service. We spent 3 weeks travelling to 6 different cities across the US eating out for lunch and dinner every day. Unsurprisingly the set up at each place is different and I find it annoying when waiters come to the table and just look at you - as I don't know if they are there to; read us the specials, get drinks orders, get food orders, welcome me and tell me who my main server will be etc etc and I found the guy who served us arrogant. Please just say "what can I get you to drink?" "can I take your order?".

If you are looking for good food and drink and a lively atmosphere I would recommend this place.