“Festive but could use a scrubbing”
Review of Fred's Mexican Cafe - CLOSED

Fred's Mexican Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The place was packed and the music was pounding but we decided to try this place anyway. After being seated inside, I ordered the Carne Asada Tacos and he ordered the Cajon Shrimp Tacos. We both ordered rice and refried beans. The table was sticky, the floor tiles looked dirty and the whole place smelled like it needed a good scrubbing. Too grungy for me! It was Tuesday and maybe they had not had a chance to clean since the busy weekend. The waitress was wonderful. The food coulld have been better - the taco tortillas were soggy with grease and the rice and beans were mediocre compared to the many other meals we have tried in Old Town over the years. We were disappointed because the place is festive and the waiters are so good.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Where to begin... I have to admit I wasn't impressed by the get your own salsa and chips bar and it went downhill from there. The appetizer we ordered was the 'famous' chingaderas which was billed as a Mexican egg roll which in reality was more like a smokey chipolte chicken croquette. It wasn't good. I ordered a margarita and it was awful. More like a lot of tequila and a little lime juice. Which might have been okay if it was top shelf vodka which it wasn't. In fact, I strongly suspect Cuevro wasn't in it either, even though it was in the description. Since I happen to order margarita's frequently, Cuevro has a specific flavor which wasn't present. We waited forever for our food and the waitress never checked up on us. We had quite a variety of entrees and the person that liked theirs best thought it was okay. I was starving but could only bring myself to eat about a third of it. The pros of this place is the atmosphere but nothing else. A new chef is needed for this place to be revived.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Good food & drinks, great Taco Tuesday specials. You can even bring your dog to sit on the patio in Old Town. Just be prepared to wait.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Visiting friends in SD, they took us to Fred's when we went to visit Old Town. Service was good, very attentive waitress. The salsa was out of this world good, just the right amount of kick, was nice that they really changed up the usual 'chips n salsa' of every other Mexi place you go to.
Had the carne asada tacos and cajun shrimp tacos, w black beans and rice. crazy yummy. all of it. amazingly good food. no one in our 4 person group had a complaint. They allowed substitutions as well at no extra charge. Definitely coming back next time we are in town again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Drinks were good here but the food was a bit below average for Mexican restaurants in S. Cal. Chips were really surprisingly bad. But, main courses were also unimpressive in terms of taste or size. Expected better.