“Stunning surroundings, attentive service and astounding food”
Review of Addison Restaurant

Addison Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Addison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #190 of 4,870 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Carmel Country Road
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My visit to Addison was for a corporate dinner and I went with low expectations.....many of the best often stumble with a company dinner. Entering Addison is a jaw dropping experience. The restaurant is magnificent and the view is to die for. From the moment I entered to the inevitably trek to the restroom, the staff was unfailingly helpful and attentive with none of the arrogance so often accompanying a five star experience.

I started with a glass of wine and amply sampled an amazing array of cheeses that upset every perception....a fabulous selection. My main course included a beef tenderloin and risotto as well as a vegetable medley that were incomparable.

I truly could go on but suffice to say this restaurant is amazing all around. Pricy? Absolutely but there are times that the price truly reflects the value and the experience: Addison is a very special occasion that is well worth it. Go, be amazed and savor the memory for months to come

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the third time we have dined at this five star restaurant...a rating,I might add, that is well deserved This time we enjoyed the four course menu...and all of the little extras that they provide. Fantastic food, fantastic service, and a wonderful wine list. We especially enjoyed the attentive service from knowledgeable Sommelier Martin Winters, who selected for us a wonderful Champagne to accompany our Oysters and caviar appetizer, and recommended a fine Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru to pair with our ris du veau and salmon entrees. We love everything about the Addison, and plan on returning many times. Our only problem is...we are running out of superlatives to describe our experiences here. Dine here, it is simply wonderful.

1  Thank Mike O
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We dined at Addison for Thanksgiving and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The food, atmosphere, and service was perfect. Addison has a staff that caters to your every whim. All members of the serving team are deciated to making your evening pleasant. I have never had service that overwhelmed me at a restaurant before, and Addison allowed me to have that experience.

The Thanksgiving menu was a set-course menu that offered a plethora of culinary delights. We cleansed our palate with a pickled cranberry soup and moved on to our appetizer course. The crab salad was a highlight. The main course, which consisted of ravioli and turkey, was fantastic. The ravioli was unbelievable, filled with a lovely pumpkin filling and topped with an optional white truffle. The turkey was moist, served with brussels sprouts, squash puree, and a side of stuffing. The plate presentation was simply delightful. The cheese course was delicious. We enjoyed the gorgonzola the best. The apple galette was for dessert, and we enjoyed that as well. The meal was very expensive, but the overall experience was magical, and was worth every penny.

Addison's sumptuous food, ambitious staff, and flawless atmosphere will have you reluctant to leave. Out of all the restaurants I have dined at, Addison must be the best. If I return to the San Diego area, I will most definitely be returning to Addison.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I recently celebrated our anniversary at Addison at Grand Del Mar and were blown away with the quality of food, service and atmosphere. It was fine dining at it's best.

Addison offers a choice of fixed-price menus featuring absolutely fresh and, when possible, locally grown ingredients. The menus are seasonal, and for spring, Executive Chef William Bradley will feature creations that star morel mushrooms, English peas, ramps and spring garlic. A sample menu posted on Addison’s website (www.addisondelmar.com) lists dishes currently being served.

Fixed-price three, four and ten- course menus are available ($85, $98 and $225 per person), and optional wine pairings with each course cost an additional $75, $90 and $150 per person. If you want a memorable treat, as we did, Bradley will create a special seven course meal “for the table,” priced at $140 per person (add wine pairing for an additional $125 per person).

I like a “chef’s choice” menu because it both is a good gauge of the chef’s range and culinary mastery, and offers a rich variety of flavors, textures and artistic plating. In short, it’s a feast for the eyes and palate.

Before the first course, we were served an amuse-bouche of smoked salmon rillettes with cornichons and yuzu, a tasty mouthful presented like a tiny jewel. Those with big appetites may think they crave more, but patience, my hungry friends; you will walk out of Addison full and satisfied.

The next two courses spotlighted seafood. Up first were layers of thinly sliced Australian hiramasa served with pickled cucumbers, pears and uni, an arrangement of vividly contrasting textures accented with fruity sweetness and ocean-fresh salinity.

Alaskan king crab starred in the second course. Crab is my favorite seafood, but I tend to avoid Alaskan king crab because it often disappoints. Chef Bradley changed my thinking with the first bite - sweet, flavorful and so tender it melted in my mouth. The accompanying aioli and cured lemon emulsion were perfect foils for this succulent delicacy.

Our next dish, ris de veau (veal sweetbreads) was lightly crusted to preserve the delicate flavor, and served with toasted pistachios, amaretto and prunes. This dish again balanced sweet and savory notes, proving Bradley’s mastery of this impressive high-wire act. If you’ve never tried sweetbreads, this version will make you a fan.

After the artisan cheese course, we refreshed our palates with a crisp granite (ice) of lemon-honey and apple cider before moving on to dessert.

When you’re celebrating, there’s always room for dessert and at Addison, the expertly prepared sweets aren’t to be missed. We savored tender warm almond cake with a tangy berry gastrique and crème fraîche sorbet.

From amuse-bouche to dessert, Addison’s service was world-class. The expert staff, led by Maître d’ Will Costello, presented and cleared each course deftly. Polished but not the least bit pompous, the staff was friendly without being familiar.

Each course of our chef’s menu was solidly matched with a wine selected by Wine Director and Advanced Sommelier Jesse Rodriguez. As they filled our wine glasses, Rodriquez or the sommelier described the wine and pairing in detail. Both tap the amazing resources in Addison’s 35,000-bottle wine cellar.

Rodriquez is as adventurous with his wine choices as Bradley is with food. The only American wine poured was a Schramsberg, Brut “Blanc de Blancs,” presented with the amuse-bouche. Then we were taken on a global wine adventure, sampling a slightly fruity and effervescent Txomin Etxaniz Basque white, a semi-dry German Riesling, a sweet Emilio Lustau “Solera” sherry and a full-bodied Montes syrah from Chili. It is worth the money to make this journey.

If you want to bring a bottle from your own cellar to enjoy with dinner, keep in mind that the corkage fee is a hefty $40. Any additional bottles you bring must be matched by an equal number of purchased bottles.

As the number of fine dining, special occasion restaurants dwindles in San Diego, Addison must be celebrated for staying the course and offering the memorable setting, menu and service expected of world-class restaurants.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I ate at this restaurant for our birthdays.
We had read a lot about it here and on the restaurant's website, with glowing reviews.
I was worried about their limited menu, as we don't like raw appetizers or odd food, such as brains. So, I called ahead and inquired if there was some latitude in their menu if we did not like raw food. I was told by the staff that there was some flexibility in their menu and that they would do everything in their power to provide a memorable night.

The restaurant is well-designed and luxurious.
But, the service is stuffy and pretentious.
Our server told me in no uncertain terms that there was no latitude in the prix fixe menu; and there is no a la carte menu. I should have left then, but I wanted my wife to have a beautiful meal for her birthday. My mistake.

Our amuse bouche was cranberry juice infused with cinnamon and a few raisins.
It was served in expensive, beautiful china, but it tasted like Ocean Spray juice with raisins.
Our amusement was believing this was a gastronomic delight! The meal got no better as the night went on.

The appetizer was poached king crab. I ate my wife's portion because she didn't like it. It was ok. The portions were small and there was an up-charge for this item.

For our entree's, I had the salmon and my wife had the short rib. There was an up-charge for the short rib. The entrees were good though again a small portion. The accompanying sides were ridiculous. A dab of pureed potatoes with a potato crisp the size of a quarter?? The chef, in striving for a beautiful plate, forgets why people come to a restaurant; to eat good food!

And no, I don't expect buffet portions; but I do expect a quantity that gives you a chance to enjoy what you are eating.

We had a wine tasting, three small pours, to accompany our meal at the cost of $140. While, the wine was good, 9 ounces of wine for $70 per person was a priced steeply; and the resident assistant sommelier did little to enhance the meal, except to brusquely pour the wine and flit off to other patrons.

For dessert I had a peanut butter trifle and my wife had a white chocolate mousse with marshmallow. The desserts were average. Again, a dab here and there, trying to create a great presentation, while forgetting it's about the food.

The dinner tab was about $550!!! To add insult to injury, when the bill arrived, there was a $190 over-charge on the bill. The server apologized, and corrected it.

During the entire evening, the maitre'd never checked on us. I would have expected he would have done so, especially after the egregious error on the bill.

I subsequently contacted the restaurant by e-mail voicing my disappointments. The maitre'd sounded concerned, but did not provide a contact number in his return e-mail. I contacted the chef via a detailed e-mail, and he provided his contact number, but did not answer his phone when I called him. I left a distressed voice mail for him and he immediately e-mailed me his apologies for the over-charge.

At no time did anyone ask me what they could do to make this right? Everyone said they were concerned, but nobody took the lead to make things right. With a five star restaurant, I would have expected that the management would quickly handle problems.

I later requested a complete refund from the chef who replied in a short e-mail that he was refunding the food portion of my bill. While this was better than nothing, he failed to address my detailed e-mail and he failed to give me the full refund I requested. If I had erroneously over-charged a patron $190, I would have apologized to that patron and paid for their entire bill.

If you want a nice setting, good service, and a pretty plate, this place is for you. Just remember to check your bill. If you want good food in a comfortable setting, you will not get it at Addison; go elsewhere.

3  Thank Michael520