“Sheer Perfection”

Ranked #36 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Sheer Perfection”
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I arrived at the Hard Rock Hotel expecting a cookie cutter, trendy, impersonal hotel. Boy was I wrong! I've traveled all over the world staying in upscale boutique hotels and spas. I'm a very picky traveler. I expect great service, clean upscale rooms and great food. Hard Rock San Diego exceeded my expectations. The service was impeccable. Thank you Eli and the staff for taking good care of us. Never have I had such good service. Other hotels should send their staff to see how a hotel should run. I loved the room. The attention to the design is terrific; even down to the Swiss type shower heads. The room service breakfast was heavenly and I could not believe how quickly the food came. I look forward to coming back to San Diego to be pampered again at the Hard Rock.

• Stayed December 2010
ahess02, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Thank you so much for giving us a try. I’m so happy we exceeded your expectations; that’s what we’re all about here at Hard Rock. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to Eli and the rest of the team. Come back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Spokane
Reviewed February 3, 2011

This hotel is located right at the entrance to the Gaslamp District and directly across the street from the convention center. They have a patio on the fourth floor that overlooks the hotels and restaurants on that street. It is a great place. Really fun!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Vacaville, California
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I went to San Diego for a convention in January 2011. I took my 19 year old daughter with me so she could enjoy the city. The hotel that was blocked for the convention was full so they referred me to the Hard Rock. Although I thought it was going to be above my budget, I gave them a call. The Hard Rock was affordable so I happily booked the room. I liked the fact that Hard Rock sent me info about San Diego. Also suggested I book their restaurants ahead of time to make sure I get in since they are so popular. Well, it was my niece's birthday and not knowing what she wanted to eat or where, the Hard Rock was right, they were booked. So the concierge really helped by calling another restaurant, having us put on their list so we received priority seating when we arrived. That was the first time I've had that kind of service. My daughter enjoyed the city while I was at the convention. Will totally recommend the Hard Rock and return as a customer. They will be my first choice when I travel again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
I’m sorry the restaurants were booked when you arrived—it sounds like you were here for a busy weekend. I’m so happy that you and your daughter enjoyed yourselves. We hope to see you back soon!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The Hard Rock Hotel is incredibly convenient to the trolley line, the convention center, and the marina in addition to all the great shopping and food in the Gaslamp District. From the moment we checked in and were asked what kind of music we would like piped into our rooms, we knew it would be a fun experience. I stayed there for a long business trip, so having a fun atmosphere to come back to after work made staying in San Diego all the better. The rooms are beautifully designed and were very clean (I did happen upon a gentleman spraying for insects in the hallway but I'm assuming it was a preventative measure with the bed bug outbreak in hotels recently) . The bathroom includes a fantastic rain shower style shower head installed in the ceiling. My room didn't include a bathtub, which would have been really nice, but the shower was still great. The room is also obviously geared towards having fun as a couple as you can see from the "special kit" offered as an in-room concession. You have the option of hanging a breakfast request on your doorknob each night so it is automatically delivered to the room at whatever time in the am you designate. There is no in room coffee maker, so you'll have to order a carafe of coffee, otherwise you can pick up a cup in Mary Jane's in the lobby. The room service staff was friendly and courteous and welcoming. If you play guitar, you can also request a Gibson to be delivered to your room for a jam session! One tip: don't bother raiding the mini fridge or in room snacks--the pricing for them is exorbitant and its just as easy to hit the CVS a few blocks east of the hotel. The room service pricing is pretty expensive, but then again, most of the food is priced very high in San Diego. You do get very generous portions, however, and I believe the food is from Mary Jane's, which is the hotel restaurant that specializes in diner/comfort food. In the evening hours, you definitely feel like a VIP as you see hipsters lining up for entry into the swanky lobby club. Be warned: the Gaslamp nightlife can get loud, and my room was close enough to ground level to hear some drunk club-goers making trouble in the streets. I had trouble falling asleep due to that, but don't blame the Hard Rock. All in all, I would definitely stay there again...and bring my husband with me this time!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review! I hope you got to rock out with the guitar while you were here! Cheers.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Attended a conference that was perfectly managed. Great restaurants on site (Nobu, MaryJane's, 207) and great location in GasLamp zone.

Sounds perfect!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 26, 2011

The service was excellent and the staff was very friendly. Out of all the guest, I have no idea how they remembered my name. I loved the room, the TV and the shower were kickin. The room was very quiet and private.

It Hard Rock is located right in mix of the Gaslamp Quarter. I didn't need a car to go anywhere and it's located in a spot very close to the train. The dining service at the Mary Jane was excellent. I loved all the memorabilia and the music in the elevator lobby. And, the Float, forget about it; it was the bomb!

The thing I liked least is I didn't see any Rock Stars, bad timing on my part! LOL!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
ahess02, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Darn, I’m sorry you missed the Rock Stars. :) Next time! See you soon.
Reviewed January 25, 2011

It was birthday weekend so I wanted tio have a memorable night, and the hard rock definitely took care of that, the hard rock rocks

• Stayed January 2011