“Fantastoc Design hotel at perfect location!”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #36 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Amersfoort, Netherlands
“Fantastoc Design hotel at perfect location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

One of the most beautiful design hotels we have stayed at. We stayed in one of the suites. It was large, clean, comfortable and wonderfully decorated. We loved this room, which has a different layout from most hotelrooms we have seen.
The entire hotel is really a design hotel, and does not look like the Hard Rock Cafes you know. In fact, there isn’t even one in the hotel (a few blocks down the road you’ll find the HRC). We didn’t have dinner or breakfast so I can’t comment on that.

The pool is a bit small, so when the hotel is full the pool is probably a very busy place. When we visited the hotel it was quiet.
BTW, while we had a nice lunch at the bar next to the pool, we watchedMatthew McConaughey giving some interviews! That explained the security around the pool and poolbar :-)

The location of the hotel is also perfect: downtown San Diego, in the gaslamp quarter with numerous bars and restaurants within walking distance. Also, the Padres stadium is 1 block away. All in all: you don’t have to be bored when you stay here.

Was there nothing negative? No, although the hallways in the hotel need some new paint: many scratches on the walls. But once you’re in your room: wow!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
KatBInSD, Guest Services Director at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Right on. Sounds like a great experience. Given we just replaced all the hallway wallpaper throughout the Hotel, I am surprised by your comment. Regardless, let me just say that our engineering team and I walk the hallways and many guest rooms every day, and whenever we find a deficiency, we get it fixed quickly. My eyes will be wide on our future walks. Many thanks for the comments and we’ll hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed here while attending a convention at the Convention Center. The location is great. It's acroos the street from the Convention Center and the area is full of restaurants. My one complaint is that between the street noise and drunken idiots returning to their rooms at 3 AM I didn't get much sleep on Saturday night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
KatBInSD, Guest Service Director at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Very glad you loved the location. Please know that we have recently instituted a new program that is designed to mitigate hallway noise, as every guest at Hard Rock should get a great night’s sleep – “Sleep Like a Rock” is one of our brand pillars. We hope to see you again soon.
SoCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2009

I stayed at the HR Hotel this past weekend (Oct. 2-4) for the Giants v. Padres series. First, the location is primed, a short two block walk to the ballpark, and at the corner of the famed Gaslamp Quarter District. Second, the hotel itself is sweet - this is not your typical hotel - it emits cool where ever you go. The rooms are nicely appointed and fits in with the rest of the hotel.

I also had the chance to use the gym, and it had just enough equipment to fulfill my workout routine, also the bars at the hotel (207 and Float) were equally as cool and inspiring. In fact, after Saturday's night game, half of the Giants team came into 207 for drinks.

The only downer, and yes, no hotel is perfect - was the check in process, only one person was working the desk, and the line was about five deep. Thought they could have brought someone out then.

Also, I would not suggest this hotel to someone that is, ummmm, you know, OLD. This hotel really serves and caters to a younger crowd ... so if you like walking into a quiet lobby, then you might consider another property.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
riverside
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

I do not recommend this so call resort at all, Worse experience ever, Long story short... When arrived was nicely approach with high standards room was not available yet, waited 2 in a half hours, TV didn't work, another 3 hour wait to get some room service of this issue. Had to pay an extra $17 to use the pool, Sloppy drunks that the employees could careless of the disturbance... Manager non helpful & careless... (as they had my credit card information already so seemed then, the customer service turned poor & careless & worse of all they have a so called dress code to enter areas, which I was not aware of & consider this reservation was made for pleasure & not business, I did not bring no high class nor slutty hoochie clothing... So we were not welcome into any other establishments at this resort... (& No I am not a sloppy dresser as I am a paralegal, So I do own many high class clothing, & all though I was here for pleasure with my husband, I do still dress well as I was wearing dress slacks that was still non acceptable, so we were not welcomed although we were guests... with a well over $350 bill)... You have to be wearing basically short slutty skirts for perverted men is what I am assuming & mostly what others wore) Which is highly disappointing considering I paid $269.00 for my room alone (the suite) plus all there extra fees that are to be stated when making reservations per manager response when I confronted at site & is not.... I think for a $269.00 stay each night the facilities should have been atleast free... I have stayed well over 20+ resorts & hotels for pleasure & business & never had to pay to use there facilities.... WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! Will never recommend nor be back!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank us7879
Thank you for your review. I’m very sorry to hear that the experience was so terrible. Given we cannot refer to your reservation, I am unable to verify the time of your check in and therefore the room issues you mention above. I’m very sorry that you were not admitted to the clubs, but when you have a dress code in place, it must be enforced for the enjoyment of all guests. As for our in-charge, every 4-diamond hotel in downtown San Diego has the same and it is referenced during the reservation and in all confirmations. Again, my apologies.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

I had the opportunity to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel San Diego for a conference and overall had a good experience.

Staff: Very friendly and professional staff. They are consistently trained to provide a high level of service, although you do notice that many of them, if they are not providing service, have their heads down looking at their phones as they furiously text message their friends. If they looked up more, they might see more service opportunities. However, still, very good service.

Facilities: The design is very interesting and engaging. Great use of videos, lighting and neat furniture. Of course, the memorabilia everywhere is great and you’d often see people stopping to look at displays on the wall. The bed was comfortable and I loved the shower! Only issue with the bed is that they are on platforms that stick out, and although the corners of the platforms are padded, I bumped into or tripped over the corners all the time.

The pool area and party deck on the 4th floor are really neat. The gym is a decent size. I didn’t use the spa but it looked nice.

Highlights: The location of this place is great. Right across from the convention center, a 10-15 minute stroll down the marina promenade to Seaport Village, a block from Petco Park and right at the entrance to the Gaslamp Quarter. Derrick, the guy who checked me in, was terrific and the housekeeping staff did a good job of cleaning up after me and the party animals who ran amok.

Areas for improvement: The signage in the hallways is very hard to read. The lighting is dim and the signs are very small in dark metal tones set against brown walls. My eyesight is pretty good, but I still had to get up close to read which way to the gym or verify the room number. I also had two different young people ask me which way to go in the hallway because they couldn’t see the signs. More direction at the front desk would be helpful when there is a crowd because it’s not always clear which of the little pods that serve as the front desk is open.

The biggest concern I had was the noise level late at night. After the bars closed on two nights, it sounded like the party moved into the hallway right outside my room. That was confirmed the next morning when I saw a lot of feathers and other detritus outside in the hallway. There’s not much you can do when 10-15 drunken youngsters are yelling, singing, smoking and carousing in the hallway. It didn’t last long so they would have been gone by the time security came up to investigate but there were numerous groups of them coming in over the course of a few hours and the combined effect added up to about 2 hours of lost sleep.

Overall impression: The Hard Rock has a great setup and a true focus on the customer experience. The facilities are nice and the staff is very professional. If you like a place that is very much a “scene”, you will not be disappointed. If you’re staying here on the weekend and you go to sleep before 3:00 am, you may think you’re in the wrong place. I’m in my early 40’s, and looking at the people who were walking around the hotel in bikinis and swim trunks who were young enough to be my children, I just don’t think I’m the target demographic. I like to sleep at night and this isn't the place to do that.

Nearby transportation: There is a trolley stop right outside the hotel that can connect you with downtown, old town or even Tijuana! Additionally, the city bus (#992) stops at 4th Avenue and Broadway, just a 10 minute walk from the hotel. That ride takes less than 20 minutes and is only $2.25. There is also a luggage rack on the bus. If you’re carrying on, it’s an easy way to go!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Many, many thanks for the detailed review (ever thought about a career in travel journalism). Let’s start at the top. No Crew Member here at Hard Rock should be texting; it’s trained every month and given your review, it will be a much greater focus in the coming months. To date I have not heard from a guest that the hallways signage was difficult to read; I will have a look at this. Hard Rock is a place to have lots of fun, but it should never interfere with a guests sleep; we have recently instituted a new program that will tone things down when the bars close for the evening and our guests head back to their rooms. As for Derrick, he is certainly a Rock Star. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

I spent one day/night at the Hard Rock on my trip from home to San Diego then to Los Angeles. I must say I was extremely happy with my stay for the brief time that I was there.

First thing that I noticed aside from the cool contemporary architecture and digital signage was the staff. They quickly got me setup with my room at 11:00 AM. Beyond that, they were very courteous to me.

The room was awesome. Bed was incredibly comfy. Minibar, stocked fridge and snacks, any alcohol you could ask for. Great view of the poolside from my POV. Chair was interesting looking, but more decorative than practical. Shower was big with glass windows, and rained down on you versus your typical shower head. Breakfast was delicious. Only downside was although they had an HDTV, there wasn't any HD programming. I kind of expected more from that, but they also had a ton of connections to hook up your computer, iPod, or gaming system, which was a nice addition.

Hotel's location was also a big plus. Right across the street from the convention center, minutes from beaches and the bridge to Coronado.

At night when I returned, my bed was lit very elegantly with LED lights, the rest of the room darkened. Flick of a light switch highlighted just the right spots in the room. If only I had a date! This place would be a perfect little spot for some.. you know.. that "romantic" stuff :) (the hotel also provides some goodies in this area, which I'll leave to your imagination, but I will say the scented candles are a nice touch) *Sigh, if only I had a date...

Best night's sleep in the longest time. I sincerely wanted to stay another, but if I return to San Diego in the future, I know where I'll be staying.

Thanks Hard Rock :D

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
bmclean02, Guest Services Director at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, October 3, 2009
So great to hear. As for HD programming, we actually have one of the largest selections of HD programming in the city. The non-HD channels are at the bottom of the listings, and the HD listings are at the top. Given your comments, I am looking into removing the non-HD programming altogether. Looking forward to seeing you, and hopefully your date, sometime soon.
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

Just returned from a four day, three night stay at the San Diego Hard Rock Hotel. The weekend can simply be summarized as, well....fantastic! I normally don't give reviews 5's across the board, but this place deserved it.

Check-In - fast, courteous, and very friendly check-in. Derek did an awesome job at making us feel welcome from the moment we reached the property, and remembered us even the next day. Great customer service!

Rooms - we had two studio rooms. One overlooking the pool and the other overlooking the Padres's stadium. 10th floor was nice and our room had a small patio on it with two chairs and a table...great place to hang out while getting ready for the evening and watching the action at the pool. Clean, contemporary, straight lines and soothing color scheme. Great shower and Aveda products to boot. 50" Hi-Def TV with about a dozen music channels to listen to. Room service is complete around 3-4 PM.

On-premise food / beverages - MaryJane's is a diner on the first floor. Great food at reasonable prices. They have an awesome happy hour with drinks about 1/2 price as compared to the other bars on-premise. I also ate some appetizers at Float / pool...the humus and pita chips was the bomb! At $9 I was a bit nervous, but there was enough for 2-3 people and was very fresh...the pita chips were served warm and just grilled. Drink prices at the pool / Float during the day were what I expected...about $5-7 for a beer. Mixed drinks were more. Specialty drinks at ~$14.

Bars - Multiple, awesome choices. As a hotel guest, call down to the concierge before 8 PM to get on the lists for both Float and 207, then show up to the bars before 10 PM and have your hand stamped for access to either all night without having to wait in line; and let me tell you, the lines are long! So utilize this comp. Float is a chic outdoor patio club/lounge on the 4th floor adjacent to the pool and they tend to play techno / house music at night. On the first floor off of the lobby is 207, its a dimly lit, deep woody vibe to it and they play hip-hop. You can get bottle service at either...entry bottle at ~$325. Float stays open and plays music until ~1:30 AM, so if your room faces the pool, just realize that its hard to fall alsleep early, but that said, if you want to go to bed early, then this probably isn't the place for you anyways. In general we spent more time at Float, as we liked the outdoor vibe a bit better, but they are both great and both are open during the day on the weekend for the sports enthusiast who needs a place to watch a few games. I also want to give a huge "job well done" to a few of the Float staff members who made the trip and visit worth while - Erica, Danielle, and Natalie! Thanks to the three of you for being so nice and providing some of the best pool / bar servicing that I've seen in all of my travels around the world. Hard Rock staff, you have some great employees!

Location - simply perfect. The HRH is located at the cap end of the Gaslamp Quarter right in front of the convention center. Nobu is connected and there are multiple restaurants to try in the area. Venture out and sample a few things outside of the hotel...it will only make you appreciate even more how great the HRH can be with the right, open, and carefree attitude.

$17 facility charge - yes there is a $17 resort charge, but it covers your internet / wireless connections and fitness center. Not a big deal, and honestly, I didn't mide it at all. The fitness center had great, new equipment and I even got in 2 great workouts during my stay. Didn't try the spa, but one of my friends did and had a great experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Our goal is to always deliver EXPERIENCES THAT ROCK! Thank you for the review and mention of so many of our great Crew Members. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.