“Great location, extra costs”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #37 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Columbus, Ohio
“Great location, extra costs”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was unhappy about the mandatory daily charge for the All-Access pass, since we were staying for a conference and didn't have the opportunity to use the amenities. I think this charge should be optional.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Hi Lisa, we are sorry that you did not like our All Access Pass and we will share your feedback with our team. We hope you are able to use it next time, as it provides guests with everything they need during their stay from Wi-Fi and free coffee to use of our 24/7 fitness and business centers and more.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Hard Rock San Diego was overall a very pleasurable experience. The service for the hotel property was excellent. I am a breast feeding mother and was away from my daughter for business and they creatively helped me come up with a plan to store and freeze my milk preparing for the flight. Having Nobu in your hotel is a special treat and to not have to walk to far to see the thriving fun of area was a plus. It is likely the closest hotel to the convention center bc it sits across the street from the middle entrance. Its close to jogging trails along the water and in the middle of the action and nitelife. If you stay in the lower floors you may be subject to traffic noise. I would NOT recommend the spa (I received two different services there on two different days and both were sub par unprofessional experiences....will rate separately). Gym is small but has everything you need. Pool is fabulous.
Overall...would recommend this place and stay here again. Good for a swanky date weekend, fun while working at the convention center, a girls trip, and just to get out for the weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Hi Katy, we are so glad you had a great experience overall and that you loved our dining options, location, and accommodating staff. We would really like to learn more about your spa experience, can you please reach out to us at customerservice(at)hardrockhotelsd(dot)com?
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Hard Rock has done something only the best hotels can do, engage a team spirit of service that includes everyone you meet in your stay. Expect smiles, concern, unexpected kindness.
The rooms are cool, but some might be put off by the sink in the middle of the room-I wasn't. For this young at heart 60+ year old, I felt respected and appreciated by staff all the time. Note also you cannot escape the theme in the hotel, but it is the service that you may most remember.
The hotel"Johny Rockets" style restaurant has OK food, but the upbeat service and atmosphere make up for that . I eas sitting at their counter service and watched as the manager inspected every dish coming out for quality and appearance- that was impressive.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Wow, thank you for your excellent feedback Gort999! We pride ourselves on our service so we truly appreciate your feedback regarding our amazing team. It is wonderful that you had a great visit and that you loved our service, stylish accommodations, Maryjane's, and overall experience. We look forward to sharing your review with our team, and we hope to see you again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Everything from check-in to check-out was hassle-free. The airlines had lost my luggage during my flight to San Diego, and the Hard Rock staff was so sympathetic and helpful. They contacted me as soon as the luggage arrived and delivered it straight to my room. The staff was always pleasant, and the room was awesome--clean, spacious, inviting. I had a great view of San Diego from my suite and enjoyed the fitness center. The restaurants onsite serve delicious, high-quality food, too. I even took advantage of the spa by getting a massage. The location of the hotel was perfect--I could comfortably walk to the convention center, many amazing restaurants and fresh markets, and the Horton Plaza shopping mall. It was a really great experience from start to finish.

1 Thank Christa W
Thank you for your amazing review, Christa! We are thrilled your luggage arrived, and that every aspect of your stay was perfect. We love that you enjoyed everything our hotel has to offer including our luxurious Rock Spa, restaurants, and location. Also, we are glad you had fun exploring the Gaslamp Quarter and that you found great restaurants, farmers markets, and shopping. We hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed March 17, 2014

convenient to the convention center, lots of great restaurants, and seaport. enjoyed breakfast at Mary Jane's as well as room service. comfy beds with lots of great pillows. Definitely a focus on service. Recommend the trolley tour if you are in town and only have a short time to site see.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RebeccaCofod, we enjoyed how your review mentioned so many great things about our hotel. From our comfy beds and Maryjane's to our central location, we are happy to hear that you loved everything about your stay.
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Nice hotel in a great location. Close to convention center and gaslamp district.
Staff was very nice. Restaurant was great for single traveler, not overpriced, but definitely too much food.
Overall fun atmosphere, really liked it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for your excellent review, Diane! It sounds like you had an fantastic time and we are thrilled you loved our atmosphere, prime location, and dining options.
Arcadia, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Positives: EVERYONE was very helpful and polite and efficient. The hotel was clean. The beds are some of the best I have slept in, in my many travels.
Negatives for me, and I emphasize for me. Annoyingly modern rooms in the sense that bathroom doors offer no privacy in that they do not go clear to the top. Light switches not easy to figure out what lights are turned on. No real bathroom privacy. But I know many people like this sort of set up. The parking was very inconvenient. I parked across the street at a cheaper rate and I didn't have to have a valet bring up my car. I can't say I disliked the hotel but It would not be my first choice. I prefer a more traditional style hotel. But that's why we have choices.
As I said, EVERYONE was very friendly and efficient. You can be proud of that.

Room Tip: Need more bathroom privacy