“bad place to bring a family”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #32 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 21, 2008

We had problems.

Our 11 year old daughter LOVES to swim when we're on vacation. Upon arrival, Sunday night we were denied access to the pool. There was an alcoholic pool party for those 21 and over. The next day we were denied access to the pool because someone broke glass in it the night before. We were assured that the pool would be available by 8:00 AM the next morning. By 10:00 AM the pool wasn't even filled. When we returned at 3:00 it still wasn't filled all the way, but we called the front desk and were told that the pool was open. Upon arrival, it was cloudy. A friendly guest mentioned that she just saw someone dump a bunch of chemicals in it. I asked an employee when the pool would be open and he said he guessed you could go in now. It obviously was not safe and if we didn't know enough to know better he could have endangered our safety. No one was in charge of the pool, no notices posted for the glass or the chemicals. Ultimately the bar tender told us to go to the Omni's pool which we did. They were gracious to let us in. The Hard Rock pool was unavailable the entire stay.

In addition to the misinformation and repeated disappointment for my daughter regarding the pool, upon check in, a couple security guards were going to take care of some disturbance.

There were tons of vodka and booze, and breakaway underpants in the room for purchase, but not coffee or microwave. The fridge was jammed with booze so as to be unavailable for anything else you may want to put in.

Storage is extremely limited.

Our carpet was sopping wet in one spot and began to stink on day two.

The personnel were professional, however their tatoos, piercings and black clothes scared our daughter.

The videos of guys dancing around in makeup, corsets and fishnet stockings in the coffee shop didn't make a good impression either.

The beds were very comfortable and the room very quiet however.

All in all not a place for the family.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank Idaho2Reepie
Write a ReviewReviews (5,435)

Reviewed August 20, 2008

Was a first time visitor to San Diego and a bit hesitant to book a room here based on the reviews about the noise, etc. Just got home from a 4-day stay and I must say that my husband and I were pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed our stay for the most part.

We are in our early 30's and don't have kids so other people may have a different perspective. This hotel is trendy, definitely filled with some people who try too hard and just want to see and be seen, but its what makes the Hard Rock the Hard Rock and we found it to be entertaining. There are two bars at this property, both of which are very popular. We had drinks one night at the Moonstone Lounge. Fun place and good people watching. The line to get in the place on Sat. night was ridiculously long though, I so I would recommend going any night but Saturday unless you get there early (I do think you can get on a list if you are staying at the property).

We stayed in a King Deluxe Suite on the 7th floor and the room was large and very spacious. Full living room with a bar, 2 flat screens, small balcony, etc. We never had problems with noise as other people indicated, but the bars are on the first and fourth floors and we faced away from the pool area so we didnt have a problem.

A few cons to note. Housekeeping was a little spotty. One day they didn't leave us any hand towels, we ran out of body wash and shampoo on day 2 - both of which were never replaced during our entire stay, our full length mirror was never cleaned (I had accidentally gotten some hair product on it so I know), and the open bathroom situation is a bit strange (or should I say the room in which the toilet lives). There is a glass door that swings open but it is open at the top and the bottom and really offers no privacy.

The biggest issue we had was with the mini-bar and random charges on our bill. The first day we had a receipt left on our dresser for a $4 water that we didn't drink. No big deal, they took it right off the bill. Our last night there we realized we had a $155 mini-bar charge on our account (no receipt left -- just noticed by looking up our account on the TV) and we hadn't touched the mini-bar the entire time we were there. We wanted to address it that night as we had an early flight the next day, but were told they needed to speak to the housekeeping manager first who wouldn't be in until the next morning. Checked out the next morning, charge had been taken off the bill. Check our AMEX bill the next day and they had charged us the $155 without authorization. Had to call and get it resolved and we were credited back our money, but this left a bad taste in my mouth about our overall experience. With that said I would go back, just keep an eye on your bill (something I believe others have noted as well).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boders
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I've stayed here twice. The first time I was in a suite on vacation, and the second time I was in a Moonstone room which had the adjacent seating area/patio outdoors. Both times were fantastic if you're into a scene.

Check-in was relatively painless, and the valet service wasn't bad. The hotel is located very close to the airport (SAN) and in the Gaslamp District so you could cab it there and just walk around all weekend.

This is a hotel that defines a scene. On the weekends you can't even really easily get into the lobby because of the lounges there (which have guest lists). Lots of silicone-enhanced girls are around with tattooed rock-star types.

There is wonderful room in the Nobu restaurant down in the lobby (on par with every other Nobu I've eaten at).

Amenities and the room are great, and the place is essentially brand-new. The showers and facilities are great, and the turndown service includes a piece of rock candy and a bottle of Voss water. In my first stay at the suite, I even got a pair of Hard Rock San Diego slippers I took home.

The pool is a scene, especially on Sundays when there is an event called Intervention. Imagine a bunch of pros and strippers (well, maybe they aren't, but they look like they are) in a pool that might be the size of a large bathrub, and you basically have it. The cocktail waitresses are scantily clad (whoever thought of G-string bikinis with low-rider sweats is a genius).

Great place for the scene. I wouldn't stay anywhere else--unless you don't like noise and scene.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank andergtr
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I spent 5 nights at the Hard Rock while attending a conference at the Convention Center across the street. My room was on the 5th floor, above the Sweetwater Saloon, with a view of the Convention Center.

Pros:
Right across the street from the Convention Center. Great access to tons of restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter. Great access to running on the Embarcadero by the marina. Comfortable bed and pillows. Great shower and Aveda products. Nice turndown service with complimentary rock candy and Voss water.

Cons:
On the last night, extremely loud industrial dance music shook my floor from 11:00 pm-2:00 am. There was about a 1-inch space under the door, which allowed any noise in the hallway to come in. No iPod docking station in the room. I did have Wi-Fi access, but it was $15 per day. The closet was not tall enough to hang my pants and dresses without hitting a shelf, so I had to hang them on hooks in the bathroom. There is a fridge in the room, but it is really a fully stocked mini bar, so if you would like to use the fridge, you need to remove everything. The pool is very small and closes at 6:00 pm.

Additional comments:
This hotel would be good for young, hip singles and couples who enjoy the nightlife and don’t go to sleep before 2:00 am.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank coloradomojo
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We arrived for a 6 day prepaid stay in a Hard Rock Suite to be given a bogus upgrade to a Moonstone Suite (standard room) with 'pool view' (concrete slab as big a football field). Going to the room I noticed the halls were dirty, scratched and poorly maintained. When the bellmannopwned the door I told him that this wasn't the right room that we paid for a suite and described it from the on line photos. I called the front desk and was initially told they did not have a room meeting that description and hotels.com must have misrepresented it. I looked up at the tv and saw it flash across the screen. When I told the girl that it was just on tv she was like oh yeah that room. She had been totally lying to me. She then stated they were overbooked and I did not have a choice but to take the room. I told her the manager needed to call me asap. When the worthless manager Stephen called back to the room he said sorry but there is nothing he can do. He stated I should have booked thru their website not hotels.com to guarantee my room type and that I should read the fine print! I called hotels.com and ended up getting refunded and leaving the god forsaken torn up dirty hole called the Hard Rock. We thought it couldn't happen to us or the other reviews couldn't really be all true but this is one of the absolute worst experiences I have ever had in 41 years. Avoid this place if you value the truth, good & fair business practice and simple customer service.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2008

i stayed here for the ComicCon. It was great because it was so close to the convention center.
Staff:
Extremely helpful and pleasant

Rooms:
Small but nice. Bed was too soft but pillows were superior. There was no dresser in the room. Also they had a huge chair stuffed in the corner, better if they just didn't bother since it wasn't a place you could really sit and just took up a lot of space. Closet was an armoire which was on the small side and no place to stash the empty suitcases. Big tv in room is nice.

Other hotel areas:
Mary Jane's in nice and above average diner. Downstairs bars are major party destinations which means it's very loud. Can't smoke in rooms and the only place is in front of the building, better if they had a space near the pool so you weren't sitting on the street at 1 am.
Pool closes at 6 pm! Which means basically it's not open when you're at your hotel and you can't relax in the jacuzzi after a long day - makes no sense.
Business center is awful. You have to pay a minimum of $5 to use it, then there's no way to hook your own laptop up to print from. Even if you email your documents as attachments to yourself, you still can't print because it blocks opening attachments. Total waste of time and money. Not a place for real business travelers.

Prices on extras:
Be careful you check your bill and watch what they charge you for. Nothing in the room is marked whether or not it's free or you have to pay. They leave tons of water bottles out but some are complimentary and some you pay $10+ for. Also internet pricing is very vague. On the startup it says you'll either pay $15 a day or it's included in your room rate. When I called downstairs to ask they said it's included, but on checkout I was charged. When I pointed this out they removed it, so it turned out ok, but still very confusing. Also, watch your mini bar charges. I found that we were charged for random things and also had to get bill adjusted at checkout.

Overall the Hard Rock tries hard to be a nice place and thinks of many details other hotels don't. I wish they spent as much time on the standard amenities as they do their unique ones.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank spike13
Reviewed July 30, 2008

It's what you'd expect, I guess. Prepare to be greeted by a lobby full of hot young things, less "hip" than "dipped" - in cologne and tanning lotion that is. In trying to sell a "rock" image, it ends up trying way to hard, and from the lobby contents all 5 days of our stay, it seems to attract those with the same intent. The biggest annoyance in this regard was certainly the valet boys clogging up the entryway in various poses, presumably to attract the adoration of the various Paris Hilton wannabes tittering by.

That said, the hotel was clean (except for an odd damp spot that the front desk assured me would be taken care of... and an hour or so later it was, I suppose after the hot entourage action had settled a bit downstairs). The room was pretty slick, and quite modern and well-appointed for its price. We had a great view of Petco park out our window. The beds were incredibly comfortable, and the television system, though a bit clunky, did deliver numerous HD channels to the large flat screen.

The location is excellent - perfect for family or single entertainment. Many restaurants, both high and low class, were scattered up and down the street right outside. (For what it's worth I'd skip "Dick's", where the canned shtick of the waiters is intended, no kidding, to embody the name. Joke was old after a few minutes). But as a first time visitor to San Diego, I was bowled over by its considerable charm, variety of interesting neighborhoods, parks, and simple beaches - Belmont park is a neat sibling to its big brother up the coast in in Santa Cruz.

For its price, the hotel offered a nice alternative to the staid offerings of similarly priced hotels. Be prepared to pay for just about every extra, including a daily rate for internet service. The 6 story public parking garage across the street, with an elevator, is a fine alternative -at about half the price - to the hotel valet (it's actually what they use).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business