“hard to top”

Ranked #37 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“hard to top”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

i liked the rooftop pool with jacuzzi, a little creepy to have large women rent cabanas just to watch me but whatev, i don't remember a hard rock cafe in the hard rock hotel but i do remember a nice all night diner, or almost all night, if you're concerned about lack of food options, there's another hotel down the block. I liked the front desk staff and frankly, when a guest took a bottle of belvedere and i replaced it, no one was the wiser, that was nice. Liked it a lot better than Hard Rock Chicago, seemed to be more homey, bell staff very accommodating.

Room Tip: not sure it matters, they all seem pretty nice, not much of a view from there anyway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,088)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Cedar Park
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was here for a business trip and arrived early. The room wasn't ready, so I asked concierge about activities. They held my bags, alloowed me to change in the large and very clean restroom, and provided me with a free bike and a map. Very cool. The concierge and the front desk people were exremely helpful. The Hotel in general was meticulously clean, and overall very quiet. The room was well appointed and the maid service timely and thorough. The Halls were very dark and so was the room, but that is the Vibe, i guess. The location couldn't be better. Right at the heart of the Gaslamp district, it was fun just walking the streets. I h ad a friend who got some kind of food poisoning or something and the staff was fantastic, actually sending up an in house EMT to assess the situation. Someone fromt he bellstaff went to al all night Walgreens and got some medication. This was truly rock star treatment. All the business functions went well, and the food was pretty good. The vegetables were very fresh, and I appreciate that. The eggs in the morning were standard crmmy hotel eggs, but the rest of the stuff was pretyy good. They do a good job at this place.

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel is very hip and cool. Staff are all pleasant, amazing and always eager to help! Service with a smile at its best.

Room was fantastic and clean. Hotel is very quiet at night. One caveat, no coffee in the rooms, need to go to Mary Janes on the first floor for complimentary coffee in the morning between 7:00 am and 9:00 am.

I would definitely go back and recommend it!

San Diego
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Hard Rock lived up to it's name on a recent stay. Company travel required me to arrive on a Saturday night and it was a crazy environment. Loud music until 11:40 made sleep difficult. A huge fight outside my room at 2:30 AM made sleep impossible. After arriving from the East Coast a good nigth's sleep was needed and couldn't be delivered. During the week the hotel was much more sane. The location is great to access the Gaslamp Quarter and the harbor.
If you are over the age of 25 this is not the hotel for you on a weekend.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

1 Thank Francis N
Chicago
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My Twelfth floor room was perfect. Others in my group had complained a little about sound pollution from bars. Ask to be up top. Bring extra shampoo, you'll love the showers. Don't worry about not waking up on time. My coffee was delivered exactly on time, at 6am. A perfect wake up call. Starbucks Coffee too.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

1 Thank John F
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. You can always feel free to call down to the front desk for extra shampoo! :)
Larkspur, California
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This hotel was amazing! The employees were so friendly and helpful and the rooms were so clean and fresh!Rafa was our VIP host for the weekend and he was absolutely amazing! Answered every question and concern I had. My girlfriends and I had the best time of our lives and would go back in a heart beat!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shaghayegh A
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We'll pass along your kind words to Rafa and his bosses. Hope you come back and see us again soon.
Newport Coast
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I came to the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego for a Company Management Retreat. The Front Desk charged my credit card instead of reading the note in the computer indicating that employees were NOT to incur any charges as there was a $20,000 deposit from our company. I repeatedly told this to the Front Desk Associate (I think his name was Tyler?) who checked me in but he refused to listen and insisted that the only way to keep my room is to charge the room + $100 incidentals on my personal credit card (approx. $380). :-(

After I was in my room, the Front Desk Associate called me and stated that his Supervisor had told him he should not have charged my personal credit card and I needed to come to the Front Desk to call my bank to have the charge released. I left my management social event to go to the front desk to get a hold of a representative from my bank. I had to leave my management event a total of 3 times (25 minutes) before the charge was finally dropped from my card, however, the $100 incidentals charge did NOT drop off until 2 weeks later! :-(

I do not appreciate missing parts of my management social event because your Front Desk does not know how to read the notes in the system! :-(

Also, the same Front Desk Associate did NOT ask me which genre of music I would like playing in my room which I guess was not a big deal but would have been a pretty cool feature to have experienced. During the entire fiasco, I heard every other Front Desk Associate ask their guests which genre of music they would like... :-(

Additionally, I had the "Do NOT Disturb" sign up and was unable to answer the door when a Hotel Associate knocked to deliver a $9 bottle of wine (as an attempt to apologize for the credit card inconvenience). This Associate proceeeded to try to come into the room with his Master Key but could not as I had the top lock on. I thought "Do NOT Disturb" meant do NOT disturb! :-(

There was ONLY one good part of my stay, and that was, Bertha in Housekeeping! Bertha was VERY pleasant and EXTREMELY thorough in cleaning my room! She was professional, courteous, and very respectful of my privacy (I inadvertantly left the "Do NOT Disturb" sign up).

Thank you for having Bertha on your staff...I did notify Martha Soto that Bertha was amazing but would greatly appreciate it if you would please reiterate my sentiments to Ms. Soto and also thank Bertha on my behalf again! :-)

Based on my less than stellar experience, I highly doubt that I would stay at the Hard Rock Hotel San Diego again! Please feel free to call me if you have any questions...

Nikki Murphy
snikkimurphy@gmail.com

Room Tip: Get any room which Bertha (in Housekeeping) is assigned to. Bertha is wonderful and VERY thorough i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We're very sorry that your experience was not up to par. We will have a guest services manager call you today. We'll of course share your positive feedback about Bertha with her manager and director too.