“Mixed bag”

Ranked #36 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
las vegas
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

I stayed at Hard Rock during a conference at SD Convention Center. The location for going to and from the center is AWESOME! The beds are AWESOME! The shower is SUPER AWESOME! The in-room music channels are AWESOME! But that is about it.

It was $269 a night and didn't even include internet access! There were 8 of us staying in 8 rooms. Each of us was charged $15 a night "turndown" service which was to provide turndown, 2 bottles of water, and internet access. I needed internet so I agreed to the fee. I always had internet and turndown but didn't always get water. I mentioned it to the front desk and she instantly took a charge off. Other coworkers never used the internet or got water or turndown but still paid the fee. Some of us got various pieces of the package.

The room was spot clean. Like the floors and main table areas were clean. But when you spend a week in a room you start to notice that the back corners are full of dust and even old trash!

I was overlooking the pool side. On the day we checked out (Thursday), they were building a concert stage right outside my sliders. There was going to be some concert right outside my room that night. Which might have been the best ever or not. I asked the front desk if it was really going to be right there. She said yes, it gets pretty loud around here on the weekends. So note to self, if you are looking for quiet on a weekend, this is not the place for you.

It was quiet when I was there (Sun-Thur). And I loved a lot of it. Just be warned.

• Liked — the shower
  • Disliked — hit or miss service
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed at the HR Hotel for one night just to check it out and be a tourist in my own town. The location of the hotel is great, right in the heart of the Gaslamp District and next to Petco Park. The rooms were modern and clean and we had a good view of San Diego Bay.

There is music all around the hotel which is cool.

My major complaint about the Hard Rock is the bars and the cost. The bars are trying to be "exclusive" by limiting people and creating fake lines to get in. If you are a hotel guest you can get on the list, but have to be in the bars by 10pm. I saw at least 5 different arguments between doormen and want to be patrons because they were not being let in and had to wait in a line even though the bars were not crowded. One lady was an owner of one of the units and was not let into the pool. She got the manager and was finally let in. The drinks are really expensive at $10 a piece, which is way above other area bars. A friend of our tried to get in but the doorman said he could not go to the bar unless he was willing to do table service, which costs at least $300. We were in the bar and there was no table service going on at that time. The people in the bars are wantabe posers, and like to act like they have money. Although I thought it was good for people watching.

The pool area is really small but the bar by the pool has alot of plush seating and has a good vibe, even though most people are trying to pose. Get down there early to get a seat, otherwise there will not be any.

Parking is $30 which is high, and you have everything is expensive in the hotel.

We saw at least 5 different bachelor/bachelorette parties going on at the hotel. This place would be good for that.

Overall, the rooms and common areas are nice and modern and have a hip vibe. It was fine for a night but I thought too expensive for more than that for what you get.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bar Scene
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PBLiving
Devizes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel, because my husband was going to a conference at the Hotel. As we walked in, the rock vibe resounded off every pillar and wall, ceiling and floor surface - it was going to be a noisy stay.

The staff were very attentive, if a little too cool. The room was actually amazing. Really comfortable - it was all very new so was lovely and clean and fresh. The bed was very comfortable to lie in - but the corners of the base were keen to catch your shins and ankles and we ended up with very fashionable black and blue legs. The bathroom and loo were very spacious, but had glass doors, and although that can be quite seductive for the shower, a little more privacy for the toilet would have made it more comfortable. We had a living area and a bedroom area with two very large televisions. We had a nice balcony which meant we could easily have some fresh air as well as aircon.

The only gripe really was the other guests - they seemed to party all night and didn't seem keen to close their bedroom doors, so the noise travelled! I began to sound like a very grouchy head teacher.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — the bed frame and the other guests
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

I agree with the other person, there is a smell of rotten eggs in some of the rooms. Another person that I know is staying here and said exactly the same thing, So if your lucky, you won't get one of the rooms with a ventilation problem, and if your unlucky like my friends and myself and can't change rooms, then you live with the bathroom a bit smelly...

1 Thank misledgeekboy
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

I recently went to this Hotel recently with a few buddies for a relaxing weekend in a suit overlooking the pool. I had stayed at the Hard Rock in Chicago and had a good experience with that property, so I though the San Diego property would be similar.

At first blush, I liked the modern design of the hotel. But I can see how people would be turned off by the design. The valets and front desk clerks were great, but that's about the end of the positive comments.

At night, getting back into the hotel was like getting into a prison. They set up a velvet rope at both entrances and make you display a key card to get into the lobby (even though you need a key card to get the elevators to work). I can see some safety logic to this, although the hotel is in a safe area. But the problem I had was the doorman refusing to accept my key card on multiple occasions.

As others have noted, there is the Sweetwater Saloon on the ground floor, which might be popular at some time. During the weekend I was there, it was not busy. Regardless, the bouncers are incredibly rude to the hotel guests. We went to have a drink after dinner and were told that we couldn't go inside, even though we had put our names on the stupid guest list you have to use just to get a drink. The bar was less than half full and the bouncer let another group in while we were arguing. After I asked why the new group was allowed in, he told me that I had to leave the lobby or I would be arrested for trespassing. I'm not sure how I could be trespassing in a hotel that I had paid to stay in, but that was his threat. At the same time, I was soon surrounded by a bunch of bouncer-thugs who "insisted" that I leave the lobby. I went back to my room, but it seems like a weird way to treat your customers.

The next night, we hung out on the bar by the pool. We met a few new people who had rented out a cabana and had purchased some bottles of vodka. Last call came and another bouncer stuck his nose in the cabana and told me I (and just me) had to leave. I showed him my key card and he accused me of having a fake card. He played with the card and talked on his walkie talkie. He eventually gave me my room key back, but then said that I "had a lot of balls" to be sitting in there. I don't think anyone should have to be insulted by the hotel's staff, especially in front of someone you just met.

The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. What made it worse is that I've stayed at the Omni, which is basically across the street, and had a wonderful time. I would suggest anyone who is not wedded to the Hard Rock to stay at the Omni, unless you don't like being treated like a valued human being.

Also, the rooms are fairly small and the tv remotes suck. There's no lock on either the toilet or the shower, and the both have frosted glass walls.

Mary Janes' was pretty good for a diner. The location is great, but as I've said before, there are a ton of hotels nearby and the Hard Rock's location is not better than any other.

• Liked — The valets were great
  • Disliked — The bouncers and security guards
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank JackJackSF
joletr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

This is a great hotel. It's in a fun area with lots of people out for a good time. It's not a golf resort. It's not a caribean resort. I have no idea what the people who have given poor reviews expected. It's a great hotel in the best area of the city. It's modern and hip and you can't go wrong. The pool is amazing as are the clubs and dining. You can't please everyone unfortunately.

• Liked — The spa!
  • Disliked — Trip was too short
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple