“Loved the room and especially the service”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #36 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Loved the room and especially the service”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had a room on the top floor of the hotel (12th floor) facing the Padres' baseball stadium. Loved the view and the room was extraordinarily quiet. I had several great nights of sleep there. I ordered room service twice. The hotel staff was courteous and prompt. My only complaint was the television and the few channels that are offered. Also, the channels on the TV didn't match any of the listings provided. The in-hotel movies are VERY expensive to rent. $14.99/movie.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're actually working on improving our TV channel offerings and hope to have more available in the very near future. Thanks for overlooking that. We're so glad you had a great time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 22, 2013

If I could give customer service a rating of -1 I would. The staff is careless. The room service is awful. House keeping FORGOT to clean our room. Room service took an hour to arrive. The concierge wasn't there and we waited for one to show up and didn't. The staff don't know the meaning of customer service. I would never stay here again ever. Stay away and don't believe the hype. This place is not worth a penny.

• Stayed April 2013
We are very sorry that your stay was not satisfactory. Anything less that great service is unacceptable to us. We tried to look up your reservation to see what happened but weren't able to based on the info here. Would you please email mdufour@hardrockhotelsd.com so we can investigate further?
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here twice this spring in conjunction with a cruise we were taking. Our first time was on March 18th; we arrived late in the evening because our flight was late getting in but the check in was smooth and we were even upgraded to a really nice corner suite. It was late and we were tired so we ordered room service. The food was delivered within the promised 30 minutes and was fresh and well prepared. We also had room service in the morning and again it was delivered promply and was well prepared. Both times the servers were very personable and friendly.
The room was great (especially as it was an unplanned for upgrade) It was modern but comfortable. The king size bed was great and the views from the 10th floor were great. The bathrooms was really nice and I really liked the shower with the multiple spray heads.

Our check out was smooth, no one tried to charge us for items from the mini bar at check out or later on my credit card.

We stayed a second time for two nights at the end of our cruise. We arrived before the room was ready but we had planned for this and it was no big deal. They checked our bags for us and took my cell phone number so they could call me when the room was ready. We wandered around the district and went for lunch. As promised they called me when the room was ready; unfortunately there was no surprise upgrade this time but the suite we received was vety nice with a juliet balcony in the bedroom.

The room was nicely appointed and very comfortable; The bathroom was a bit odd in that it is located in the middle of the room between the bedroom and the sitting area but it was still well laid out and easy for two people to use when getting ready to go out and such. Of course I had been spoiled by my first stay but you can't always have everything!

During this stay we ate outside the hotel but we did have breakfast at Mary Janes downstairs. We were there for breakfast and they were really busy so we sat at the counter. They were a little slow getting to us but once they did they were very friendly, the food was great and our waitress even brought us a dicount coupon for the zoo when she learned we planned to go there. The prices were about average for most places we observed during our stay and the portions were huge (you may want to share rather than buy two seperate dishes).

The pros for this hotel are its location, the rooms are beautiful. Room service and the restaurant are good. The bar is nice but it is pricey.

The only real con I had was our first stay the train yard was shuffling cars back and forth at 4 AM.

I read both good and bad reviews for this hotel but I did not have any negative experiences that the people reporting then have had. I found the staff friendly andul. They were happy to answer any questions we had and they seemed to care if we had a good stay. I would definately recommend this hotel and I look forward to staying there again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and the Tripadvisor community. We strive to give all of our guests an authentic experience that rocks and it sounds like we were successful! We'll be sure to share this with our guest services team and give them a nice pat on the back.
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at this property even though the event I was attending was at the nearby Marriott Marquis. It was only two blocks away, one block from the Convention Centre and, more importantly, in the heart of the Gas Light District, behind the stadium where the Padres had their baseball season-opener!

From the moment you enter the hotel, you understand this is going to be a different experience. Music is pumping in the lobby, multimedia screens are behind the reception desk, waiting lines are made up of microphones and, once you reach the desk clerk, she's wearing a badge with her favorite band. Love it! Check-in went smoothly and, before heading to my room, the clerk asked what music I would want in my room during my stay: rock, jazz, electronic, etc. Love it even more!

On the way to my room, everything around me reminded this was a Hard Rock: quotes from famous bands, pictures of Janis Joplin, the Stones, Depeche Mode, etc. That same level of details is everywhere once you reach your room, which screams "go out and have a party"... even though I did not, and was quiet - I was here on business, after all ;-0

Upon checking out, there was a problem with a room fee not including in-room wifi but this was sorted with Kevin, the guest services supervisor, which made my stay pretty much perfect! Would I come here again? Absolutely!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fredericg189
We really appreciate you taking the time share your feedback with us. We definitely strive to give our guests an unique experience and it sounds like that's exactly what we delivered for you. We hope you come back soon!
La Verne, California, Usa
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We came down from LA for a Dodger Game. We weren't too familiar with the Gas lamp District. We did lots of research on cool places to stay and eat. We love the Hard Rock in Vegas but have never stayed at a NON Casino HR. It was outstanding from beginning to end. From the moment we pulled up to valet, to check in, to directions and even room service, our stay was fantastic. Just an overnighter on a weeknight, so we didnt have time to experience the pool and all the cool restaurants. The hard rock isnt cheap, but its the hard rock and we would definitely come back. Our QUEEN suite was awesome and had a great view, and it was literally 10 steps from Petco Park. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Awesome! thanks for the kind words. We hope you come back soon!
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were given a gift to stay here but the giftgiver didn't make the proper arrangements. The room was held for us but was accidentally not paid for, and the gift giver assumed dogs were welcome. When we checked in, we were asked to pay and we were asked to not bring our dog. This seemingly impossible situation was completely averted because of the manager Sean. Sean called the gift giver, made sure she would get him the necessary info to cover our trip, let our dog stay for FREE, and sent us on our way with no worries. It's honestly the best customer service I've ever experienced. Props to Sean and Hard Rock for fixing everything. We will come back for sure.

• Stayed April 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to share this experience. We will pass this along to Shaun and the entire guest services team. We agree, he IS the man!
Reviewed April 20, 2013

First of I have to say employees are fantastic , polite and helpful and if it wasnt for them i would have leave after two hours of stay here. As I am writing this is 2:30 in the saturday morning and I have to be up 7 am for the competition. :(
I can't sleep because of the street noise and the loud music from down stairs clubs. If you walk in the lubby all you see is drunk people screaming and yelling and I guess having fun. Don't take me wrong, I am sure we all been there and done that but it's hard to explain to a 7 years old what is in the box of intimacy lovekit next to kitkat in our hotel room.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank your or the kind words about our staff. We're very sorry you had trouble sleeping. We know how frustrating that can be, especially when you have to be up early. Regarding the intimacy kit, we are happy to remove this prior to check in upon request.