“not a place to sleep”

Ranked #37 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Detroit, Michigan
“not a place to sleep”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was there for a convention. The location is great just across the Convention Center and right at the Gaslamp District. However if you plan to rest after a long day, please be aware that this is not the place for you. I think it's a great idea to mix party and entertainment with a hotel but only if it is done right. The night club pumped the music right into the bedroom and if you put your head on the pillow you could even feel the base. Ear plugs - not helpful. Friday night until 3am, Saturday night until 3am, Sunday night until the morning hours.....otherwise yes, very hip. Oh yes, the concierge desk was chronically understaffed. Recommendations were done with the help of Google....not really helpful. But yes, nice bathrooms. Great pool area.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is on the upper floors and best not facing the convention center
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
We're sorry to hear that the noise made your stay with us less than ideal. We do have two nightclubs on property that can get pretty lively on the weekends, so those of you coming for a conference or for business may want to request a room on a higher floor upon check in (or even after check in if your room is too noisy). Our front desk staff is always willing to accommodate these requests whenever possible. The clubs close do last call at 1:30am sharp, with the completely off by 2am.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 6 nights for a conference. Check in was smooth and entering the room with your favorite music playing was a nice touch. My room was VERY clean. I ordered room service for breakfast three mornings. Each meal was delicious, served quickly after the order was placed, and delivered by a very friendly server. The fitness center had nice equipment, but wasn't always clean.

The first three nights (fri, sat, and sun) were extremely loud! Coming from the east coast, I was exhausted and not able to rest. Lots of club music and loud guests in the hallway. The hallways and lobby are also loud with music playing 24/7. At first, it didn't bother me, but over the course of the week it just seemed you couldn't escape the noise. The bathroom is very dark and one of the lights is connected to a fan, so if you want light, you also get noise!

I know I sound like an old lady with my complaints about noise, but it just seemed like an assault on the senses with no escape. This is not a hotel for relaxing. I expected some of that knowing it is, after all, a hard rock hotel! But, the noise was constant and there was no escape. This place would be perfect for a bachelorette weekend, but not for a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2013
We do love music at the Hard Rock, and do play music 24/7 in our lobby, though the volume and energy level of that music does change based on time of day and day of week. Our front desk agents are always willing to accommodate a room move if noise levels are too high for a particular guests tastes. Our spa is great for those of you looking for a little rest and relaxation. We will speak with housekeeping about the cleanliness of the fitness center. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.
New York City
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Gorgeous hotel with exceptional service starting with VIP check in. Drink offered at the start from front desk vip Jennifer. She had amazing customer service, was very detailed with the best places to eat and go out every night to suit our needs! Our room was gorgeous, beds are very comfortable there is a sit in bar as well as a nice couch for a lounge area inside your room. Bathrooms very clean shower is separate and gorgeous! Had a balcont but not a wrap around one, its great for fresh air.

Location is great in the gaslamp there are multiple clubs and shopping, so you can go to your business meetings in the morning and enjoy activities after.

Company breakfast had fresh fruit and croussants coffee etc.. also had an event in one of their private rooms, the entertainment was great fun and classy. Marilyn monroe was our guest lol. We followed by going downstairs to 207. The security guard gave abit of a hard time to get in asked us to go in from "outside?" , even though we had reserved table with bottles, but after showing vip card they will let you through. Hotel is packed at night as there are many events, it is very big as if it is it's own resort.

Overall if you want to have an amazing time in a gorgeous clean hotel, book the hard rock! It exceeded our expectations!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite, window is worth it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank c_abo_66_ca
We LOVE reading reviews like this. You really seemed to make the most of your stay & embraced the energy & spirit of the Hard Rock! We're so glad we were able to exceed your expectations and we'll also be sure to pass along your kind words to Jennifer.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, nice amenities, and GREAT location in the gas lamp district. My only issue is that the rooms are very dark. Not enough lights. If you want to be able to sleep on your weekend stay make sure to stay on the outside rooms. The club music can be loud and heard even in the high inner rooms.

• Stayed February 2013
Thanks for your review. We're sorry the rooms didn't have enough light for you. You can always call down to the front desk and we will try our best to resolve ANY issue that you might have, be it light, noise, etc. We enjoy every opportunity to go the extra mile for our guests so please don't hesitate to ask!
Albany, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at this Hard Rock Hotel while travelling for business with a colleague. I was very excited to stay there since it looked very modern and fancy but in the end, I couldn't get out of there fast enough! I will focus this review on my own experience, however it is what happened to my colleague that ultimately prompted our early departure from the Hard Rock.
Overall, what I thought to be a fairly minor incident, I have a major problem with how it was handled or lack of how it was handled actually. At 2 AM I heard knocking on the door next to mine and someone announcing themselves as room service. I thought to myself, "great... neighbors who order room service at 2 AM" and then the knocking continued for 5 more minutes and then the phone in the room adjacent to mine started to ring. The door knocking and phone ringing persisted for 15 minutes. I looked through the peep hole and saw a man standing outside with a clipboard in hard rock attire and a phone in hand. I'm guessing he was calling the room next to me but he didn't have any food with him... When I reported this to the manager, Ryan, before my colleague and I departed the Hard Rock, he told me that there was no room service ordered to that room. It must have been a prank. My complaint was completely disregarded.
So, I called 3 weeks later, after noticing a charge on my credit card. I was charged an early departure fee which I shouldn't have been charged. And when the finance department checked on it, they said a message had been logged under my colleague's visit but not mine and that is why I was charged. So, not only was my complaint disregarded, it wasn't even logged! I asked to speak with Ryan and was told he was in a meeting and would call me back. He never called me back. 2 days later I call the hard rock again and said "Ryan never called me back." They told me that he wasn't working today so I asked to speak to any manager on duty. They put me on hold and then told me there was no manager on duty for the next 3 hours.
Who runs a business this way?! I have never in my life ever had a worse hotel experience OR customer service experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jessica P
We're very sorry your stay didn't go as planned. This is not the type of experience we want any guest to have at our property. We have investigated this matter and spoked with our guest services team at length about this instance. We unfortunately were not able to resolve your issue in a way that was satisfactory and for that we are sorry. We hope you are able to find a hotel more suited to your needs upon your next trip to San Diego.
Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Don't listen to negative reviews...this place was perfect! I took my 13 and 11 year olds, and they loved it! You cannot ask for a better location or a nicer place! Everyone was friendly and helpful and made our stay wonderful! Everything you could ask for is in Walking Distance.
Tip: one block over is a parking garage that is less than half the price of the valet, and you never have to wait for your car.
A special thanks to Wayne in maintenance who was completely patient with my kids when they needed help with the TV!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jessirae33
Thanks for your kind words. It sounds like you really took full advantage of what we had to offer and really got into the rock & roll spirit!
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed March 14, 2013

the service I experienced was really friendly and beside fun, the room was very easy to use and logical, needs thought a little maintenance, the location is wonderful, specially if going to the petco park or expo, everything else on San Diego's renewed downtown is a block away, besides all surrounding nightlife and fine dining the hotel has amenities that are the best for any purpose.
What I liked the best are the beds! Really fell in to a wonderful sleep.
Thank you Hard Rock.