“Poor management and zero customer service.”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #36 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Albany, New York
“Poor management and zero customer service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at this Hard Rock Hotel while travelling for business with a colleague. I was very excited to stay there since it looked very modern and fancy but in the end, I couldn't get out of there fast enough! I will focus this review on my own experience, however it is what happened to my colleague that ultimately prompted our early departure from the Hard Rock.
Overall, what I thought to be a fairly minor incident, I have a major problem with how it was handled or lack of how it was handled actually. At 2 AM I heard knocking on the door next to mine and someone announcing themselves as room service. I thought to myself, "great... neighbors who order room service at 2 AM" and then the knocking continued for 5 more minutes and then the phone in the room adjacent to mine started to ring. The door knocking and phone ringing persisted for 15 minutes. I looked through the peep hole and saw a man standing outside with a clipboard in hard rock attire and a phone in hand. I'm guessing he was calling the room next to me but he didn't have any food with him... When I reported this to the manager, Ryan, before my colleague and I departed the Hard Rock, he told me that there was no room service ordered to that room. It must have been a prank. My complaint was completely disregarded.
So, I called 3 weeks later, after noticing a charge on my credit card. I was charged an early departure fee which I shouldn't have been charged. And when the finance department checked on it, they said a message had been logged under my colleague's visit but not mine and that is why I was charged. So, not only was my complaint disregarded, it wasn't even logged! I asked to speak with Ryan and was told he was in a meeting and would call me back. He never called me back. 2 days later I call the hard rock again and said "Ryan never called me back." They told me that he wasn't working today so I asked to speak to any manager on duty. They put me on hold and then told me there was no manager on duty for the next 3 hours.
Who runs a business this way?! I have never in my life ever had a worse hotel experience OR customer service experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jessica P
Matt D, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
We're very sorry your stay didn't go as planned. This is not the type of experience we want any guest to have at our property. We have investigated this matter and spoked with our guest services team at length about this instance. We unfortunately were not able to resolve your issue in a way that was satisfactory and for that we are sorry. We hope you are able to find a hotel more suited to your needs upon your next trip to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Don't listen to negative reviews...this place was perfect! I took my 13 and 11 year olds, and they loved it! You cannot ask for a better location or a nicer place! Everyone was friendly and helpful and made our stay wonderful! Everything you could ask for is in Walking Distance.
Tip: one block over is a parking garage that is less than half the price of the valet, and you never have to wait for your car.
A special thanks to Wayne in maintenance who was completely patient with my kids when they needed help with the TV!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jessirae33
Thanks for your kind words. It sounds like you really took full advantage of what we had to offer and really got into the rock & roll spirit!
Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

the service I experienced was really friendly and beside fun, the room was very easy to use and logical, needs thought a little maintenance, the location is wonderful, specially if going to the petco park or expo, everything else on San Diego's renewed downtown is a block away, besides all surrounding nightlife and fine dining the hotel has amenities that are the best for any purpose.
What I liked the best are the beds! Really fell in to a wonderful sleep.
Thank you Hard Rock.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Marysville, Wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

we stayed here in sept. before arriving found out the parking is valet only at a fee of 37 per night, you can come and go as many times as you please. when we checked in the lobby was quite and clean. when we got to our room we noticed a loud hum comming from inside the walls and when we called the front desk to have it looked into, they upgraded us to a suite with a view of the baseball field with a small patio. we enjoyed walking the gas lamp area at night with several great locations to eat nearby. after checkout is when the problems started. when we booked online thru a discount company there was a small note that bill did not include resort fees. didn't think much of it because there where no statements of resort fees on the hard rock websight. they say that is because it is inclded in there price but not broken out. after a couple of unanswered emails i called and was able to have one night resort fees removed but not others. I hate bait and switch. Plus I was charged for a bottle of water that we did not use. We have had this several times in the past years at different hotels. I think the hotels are hoping you don't notice or care and they recieve the extra few dollars several thousand times a month. overall great stay but beware of final bill.

Room Tip: east side rooms get morning sun and view of baseball field
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Very nice hotel...and yes, I would expect it to have been expensive since it is located in San Diego but I was still a bit shocked.

Location is in an excellent location...lots of food and fun!

Rooms were clean and 'fancy' with very large screen TV in each. There was a $15/night internet hookup charge which I thought was completely wrong!

The restaurants in the hotel are very good...but once again, spendy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Service was excellent! Great location in walking distance of everything San Diego has to offer.
Rooms were amazing at a reasonable price. Staff makes you feel like you are the king!
Awesome experience overall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I highly reccomend this hotel to anyone that is coming to San Diego for a visit or even if you live here and are just looking for a fun weekend getaway downtown!
Check in is always a breeze, especially if you have the VIP check in which is accompanied by a cocktail!!!
The hotel itself is very cool and not your normal hotel, it just has a very cool vibe and all the rooms are super comfy yet modern. The beds are super comfortable!!!
I would have to say the thing I love most about staying here is the staff! Everyone from the front desk to the conceirge to the room service and housekeeping staff are just wonderful and always go above and beyond whenever we stay.
I especially love Jessica Cannone, who has helped us with booking several of our stays. She is a GEM! I absolutely love working with her! From VIP check-in, to a beautiful bottle of champagne delivered to our room on my birthday...she goes out of her way to make our stay perfect every single time!
I can not say enough wonderful things about the Hardrock and that is not to say that from time to time I have not had something go wrong...like a phone in my room that didn't work or no hot water when I went to take a shower...those things happen in any hotel from time to time. It's the way the staff handles it and in their case, they not only attempt to fix the problem immediately but figure out what they can do to make your stay an even better one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple