“Hard Rockin be Rockin the House”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #37 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Sacramento, California, United States
“Hard Rockin be Rockin the House”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is definitely the spot to check out all the eye candy in San Diego as this hotel is very trendy, swanky and only baller's would be staying here. Me on the other hand, I'm just a wannabe broke baller as I stayed here from Thurs - Monday for Vacation.

We arrived to the hotel around 1030am as we took an early flight and i tried to see if we could get early check-in. I knew i was pressing my luck but hey, it doesn't hurt to try. Guest services advised me usually check in is at 4pm but my room may be available earlier as housekeeping is cleaning up my floor.

FYI, The pool party is located on the 4th floor and if you want a room where the back door lets you into the party, book the Float King Suite.

I end up staying on the 5th floor as requested and suggested by the guest services since 2 queen bedrooms are not offered on the 4th floor. She did advised me this is considered as a loud room as Thurs-Saturday is "Float" party which is their outdoor party and Sunday is "Intervention" pool party. I took the gamble and stayed on the 5th floor there because she said we got a great view of the people attending Intervention (I wanted to see EYE CANDY)!! The room was not loud what so ever but you were able to hear the music.

About 2hr later, received a call saying the room was ready. The beds were comfortable and the Ultra plush pillows made it feel like i was sleeping on a cloud.
The bathroom was very spacious and the shower had 2 shower heads, which i thought was unique. One from the ceiling and the other from the wall. There is a mini refrig (no freezer) which is stocked with alki and juices AND it's NON-Sensored. So we end up emptying it out and putting our own alki and water. Only drawback was it barely kept stuff cool as it seemed like it was on its last leg.

Key Card:
You'll need to slide it into the elevator every time you want to use it which is a hassle but i can see its good use for security reasons. The cards are very sensitive as mine kept on getting demagnetized in my wallet or placing it next to my cell phone.

Gym:
There is a small open gym that's open 24/7 on the 3rd floor with some treadmills, elliptical machines, dumbbells ranging from 5-50lbs, a couple of benches and 4 weight machines.

Incentives for staying:
VIP passes will be issued to you when you ask Concierge or guest services. They are only valid at Float and 207 night clubs, not Intervention as you'll have to pay $15 presale, $20 at the hotel or $30 the day of. With Float and 207, you must enter before 10pm and there is In and Out Privileges. Chinaman thinking, get ready, get hand stamped, get back to the room, get my drink on, get to the club, get my game on.

207:
Went on a Saturday night and the place was nice, the bar took up half of the club, there was a dance floor for all the ladies along with booths surrounding the perimeter of the club. Music was Hip Hop and Top 20 so i feeling it. Drinks were pricey as i ordered 7 LC (Liquid Cocaine) shots which came out to $84 before tip.

Float:
Went on a Saturday after 207 and it was packed, shoulder to shoulder as you were walking anywhere. Music was House mixed with Dub Step beats. More cougars chilling up here and i wanna say my crew was the minority.

Intervention aka pool party:
I couldn't justify myself paying to get into this party as I'm already throwing out Benjamin's to stay at this hotel and plus we already had a great view from room to see whats going on. Intervention started at 12 and it didn't get busy until after 3pm. I'd say there was at least 500+ ppl at this party, no joke. The pool alone is pretty embarrassing as its very small especially staying at this expensive hotel. was very small and pretty sad for them to call it a pool party so that's maybe why they called their pool party "intervention" ?

Parking:
$37 for Valet, no thanks. As suggest from other yelpers, there is a parking garage, directly across the street that is really reasonable. Daytime rates (3am - 6pm) $1 per hour or $8 max. Evening Rates (6pm - 3am) $5 flat rate Sunday - Thurs and $9 Flat rate Friday - Saturday. Keep in mind, street parking is free after 6pm - 8am Mon-Saturday and Free all day Sunday.

Overall, I'd say my stay was great because excellent location and Friendly/helpful staff. I'd rate this a 4.5 star because like everyone else agreed, its overpriced.

Room Tip: Park across the street at the parking gargare to save yourself $$$$ as valet is $37/night
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cliff L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We celebrated my friends 40th Birthday in a suite with a fabulous view of Petco Park, convention center and the ocean. We were given five complimentary tickets to the night club but needed three more and without hesitation they were given to us. We received excellent service from every employee that we had contact with (room service, housekeeping, bellhop, pool bartender, night club bouncer, and the checkin staff). The hotel is in the heart of the gaslamp and surrounded by excellent restaurants and clubs. Had a blast. I will stay here again for another party weekend even though we are "old".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I never write reviews but this time I feel a need too. This place claims to give Rockstar treatment.. Well my husband and I recieved nothing close! We were there on a 11 day honeymoon which we had mentioned 3 times including when I made the reservation , at check in, when we had to switch rooms and still nothing!! First off the girl who checked us in couldnt be bothered with us. We were not asked what kind of music we would like or even told about the guitar to rent. The first room they gave us was filled with flies!!! We were given a new room right away which was great but IMO we should have been upgraded considering the flies and that it's our honeymoon!!!! The second room was nice and clean. The only good thing about our stay was that housekeeping did a great job in keeping it that way our entire stay!! We set up a car rental with the concierge only to be picked up more than a half hour late because no one placed the call the night before. We booked an extra night because we were taking the red eye home. Upon check out the man at the desk said you know that your not due to check out till tomorrow morning , it was 10 p.m.Seriously as if we didnt know that !!We told him about the red eye and he just looked at us funny. He then does something on the computer and says we are all set. No mention of a reciept i had to ask about that ! No how was your stay, thank you for staying with us or even have a good night!!! What kind of customer servive is that!!! I read reviews on how people had great honeymoons there champagne sent to their room etc... I just don't understand if you do it for one why not all?? Our stay cost us $4000! For that price we should have been treated way better than we were. It was just so disapointing, I really expected alot different! They claim Rockstar treatment, not even close!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Boop717
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Boop717, thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate taking the time to share your experience. I’ve shared your review with the entire management staff and we are already taking steps to improve. I am so sorry your check in experience was less than satisfactory and that you were not able to celebrate your honeymoon as expected. We do strive to make each stay a Rockstar experience, and I apologize that this was not what you experienced. I hope you will reach out to us so we can set up your next stay the right way.
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Surprise stay for my bachelor party. Very modern hotel in the heart of the gaslamp district. Very cool design on the rooms and look forward to my next stay there.

Very cool bars and restaurants and was better priced than you would think.

Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a party hotel. very noisy in all areas including room floors. if you know that going in you will be ok. be warned, everything is very expensive, from the $11 small watered down drinks at the float bar, to the food at the restaurants to the mini bar in the room. you will be charged a massive amount of money to do anything except sleep in your overpriced bed. if you like trendy noisy spots and don't mind overpaying for everything under the guise of being cool, this is for you. :-)

Ventura, California, United States
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a great time. everyone at the hotel was nice to us. our tv did not work in the bed room so they gave us a wonderful room it sucked that we had to move but I still really enjoyed it. You can walk to everywhere from this hotel. There was a huge party at the pool it was a good time

Room Tip: all of the rooms have great views if you want alot of party time stay by the pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shelly B
Minnesota
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas and loved it so I thought this was going to be a great hotel for our 10yr anniversary weekend in San Diego. The location is great but I'm disappointed with the facility itself. As other reviewers have shown in photos, the hotel is looking age. The curtains in our room (1137) have rips in them, there are lots of marks and scuffs on the walls and baseboards, the bed isn't very firm or comfy - it just doesn't feel very "rock-star". Also- no in-room coffee maker or complimentary coffee in the lobby is a big bummer to this caffeine junkie.

We are in a Woodstock suite and the pleather couch is disappointing if you want to watch tv in the living room. It's small and sticky. Also, there are only curtains separating the bedroom from living room so the person sleeping hears everything. On that note, you also can truly hear every noise in the bathroom, and even hallway! I thought it was an exaggeration in other reviews. Not so.

Finally, the room could be cleaner. There's gum stuck to the wall above the toilet paper holder in the bathroom which is clearly visible to housekeeping staff. There is sticky stuff on the wall elsewhere in hhe suite too, and the full length mirror has finger prints on it. Small annoyances, but when combined with scuff marks on the walls and baseboards it just doesn't make the hotel room feel clean and welcoming. I will stay elsewhere when we return to San Diego.

• Stayed August 2012
LuvToGo, thank you for your review. I have already sent our housekeeping team up to the room for a detailed inspection. I am so sorry the room was not up to standard. We are planning on replacing some of the items in the room in the near future, so please let us know next time you’re in town so we can set up a great stay for you. Happy anniversary!