“Great Stay!”

Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
Ranked #32 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Just spent a lot of time writing a great review for the hard rock but the crappy Internet in the hotel that I'm in now decided to crap out right before I submitted this. They are losing a star for that! I'll be staying in 5 different hotels between San Diego, Los Angeles and Anaheim before this trip is through so feel free to check out my other reviews.

The Hard Rock was our first stop last Thursday and Friday and will be hard to beat. Very clean, very stylish, and everyone there was awesome. Every staff member that I encountered had a smile and was very helpful. We had our four year old with us and I knew going in that this hotel was not necessarily ideal for families but we had no issues at all from staff or patrons. Tisha at mission control (front desk) was awesome! We stayed in a King Suite and I had requested a balcony room facing the pool. She suggested that a room facing 6th street may be better noise wise for my son. The room was great, 8th floor overlooking Petco Park, and we didn't hear a sound except for the occasional door slam. Tisha even asked me the next day if my son was having fun.

The room was set up very nice with two large flat screens and a separate living area. The bedroom could be closed off with a thick curtain so not soundproof but adequate. The bathroom was cool. Right between the livingroom and bedroom with the toilet in a separate room on one side, the sink out in the open in the middle and an awesome shower on the other side. The TV in the living room had a full jack pack in the wall below it so that you could hook up external devices. Very cool. I brought my Apple TV with me and it worked. The opaque glass doors to the shower and toilet are cool and you really can't see through them. Beds are a bit firm. Toiletries are excellent!

We hung out poolside Friday and had a great time. My son was the only one in the pool but again, no issues. My wife asked why we were ones at the pool with a kid and I told here because he has the coolest parents in San Diego! Beers were $8 but who cares...you're on vacation right? They were four bucks more than that at my next hotel pool bar with no selection what so ever. I went out later that night to 207 and forgot to even go back up to the pool to check it out at night. I'm sure it was cool up there with the firepits going. They were already setting up for there big party on Sunday so I'm sure that rocks. 207 was cool if you like the club scene...crowded and loud but fun. Don't know who the DJ was but he was awesome. We got VIP passes for free entry into the clubs with our room.

A couple of other mentions...Anthony from the rock shop was great. He's in a local band and we BS'd about guitars and life for a bit. He liked seeing the pics of my son on my phone rocking out on his mini Gibson electric that I got him for his 4th birthday. Thanks for the time and for being genuine Anthony! FYI, you can check out guitars for free and take them to your room! I don't remember the concierge's name but he was great too. He has long hair and a beard. Looks like a member of CCR from the 70's and not your normal stuffy concierge which was way cool. He told me that I should ask the rental car company to take the price of cab fare off of my rental since they didn't have a shuttle and it worked! Saved me $20!

Overall great stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: High room facing 6th street for less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vikings2010
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Wow! We love this review and we love you! We’re so happy you and your family had a blast. Tisha, Anthony, and Robbie are so happy they rocked your stay. Thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,427)

Reviewed June 9, 2012

The Hard Rock Hotel is a great place to stay in San Diego.
It is excellently located in the downtown Gaslamp district. There are tons of restaurants, boutiques and entertainment venues all within walking distance. And of course the waterfront with its gorgeous views is steps away as well
The hotel itself is shiny and cute , with the typical rock theme in the public rooms and guest rooms as well. The reception desk staff was young courteous and eager to please. Check in was a breeze. My king room was a little small but with a comfortable bed and a very nice bath with a luxurious walk-in shower. The storage was ample. A large flat screen TV free wi-fi , a comfortable desk ,and stero sound system were standard. No frig or coffee maker to be found. There was also a well stocked but Very expensive mini -bar. The cleaning service was good but slow
The hotel has a nice fitness center, a great rooftop pool, and a beautiful spa
There are several good restaurants in the hotel as well to choose from at various price points if you want an evening in.
There were also a couple bars and club venues that were frequented by very young adults in tight and trendy clothes. The noise level in the evenings ESP on weekends was considerable. The hotel is definitely a party place. On a couple of occasions the noise made by inebriated revelers in the halls at night was annoying. One night some guys made a game of knocking on my door and then making silly faces as I looked through the peephole. I guess intelligence is inversely proportional to the number of drinks consumed.
Overall the hotel was a lot of fun and a very good stay. But after all it is a rockin place so be prepared for the party animals!

• Stayed: May 2012

It sounds like you really enjoyed the property! Thanks for the great review. I will definitely pass your comments about housekeeping and security in the hall to my team. Cheers.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I had a great time staying at this hotel. It was the perfect combination of trendy and professional. Our room was clean and the view was beautiful overlooking the pool. The staff was extremely friendly and quick with all of our requests. They were really organized and never had us waiting very long. The bars and restaurants were great as well. The staff was always smiling and ready to serve you as best they could. It is in a perfect location in downtown San Diego next to so many other attractions like nightclubs, the baseball field, and the convention center. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. The pool throws a good party on the weekends too!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor overlooking the pool if you're there during the Sunday Intervention party!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for the review. We still have 3 months left of Intervention, so come back soon!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

From the minute we dropped off our car at valet, to the quick pedicure, to the awesome r&r, this place is fabulous! Highly recommend this hotel, we will definitely be back! Jenna Wood

1  Thank Jmwoo

Summer is just beginning! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Not only is the Hard Rock in San Diego rockin' in every sense of the word, but every staff member there took customer service to another level. I would highly recommend the HRH for any trips to downtown San Diego.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the recommendation!

Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Amazing rooms. Great location. A bit pricey but worth it in my opinion. Definitely staying here again

• Stayed: May 2012
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

And we can’t wait to see you again! Thank you.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is good hotel that could overchieve and become The Ritz's cool younger brother. i am confused somewhat at exactly who the hardrock's target audience is....and think the hotel really doesnt care. As with anything Hard Rock, it is definitely not boring. It is a solid hotel and highly recommended if you want to go a hotel where no matter how hip you think you are, you will be pleasantly proven wrong,

Room Tip: Make sure to ask that you put far, far away from the bands that play in the bars/restaurants within...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Pizan55

Thanks for the review. As a four diamond hotel, we certainly provide great service and amenities at every point of your stay. As a Hard Rock Hotel, we put our own twist on your four diamond experience to provide authentic experiences that rock. We hope you enjoyed your time with us!