Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Sybilla
Annapolis, Maryland

Mad Man

Review of The Pearl Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Aug 26, 2019
Cute boutique hotel with a good restaurant. I felt like I was in an episode of Mad Man. However, it is in need of a cosmetic renovation. We stayed in the Super Strand room which was quite roomy. Overall a great stay!
Date of stay: August 2019
NatalieR2714, General Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review
Responded Oct 8, 2019
We definitely have a Mad Men vibe, and love that you felt that way! We are currently renovating the rooms and should be all done the start of next year. We are thrilled about the next phase for the rooms and hope you will come back and stay. Make it a great day!
$165
3.4 miles from The Pearl Hotel
Free parking
View more hotels in San Diego
1,109 results
All reviews mid century dive in movie movie screen point loma shelter island ocean beach motel parking sd staycation california uber
Selected filters
Reviewed August 16, 2019 via mobile

This place is old but renovated. Our room was fine, the bed was pretty close to the floor and minimal furniture. It’s a compact building, so you will hear noise from other rooms and the downstairs restaurant & bar. Turning on the AC seemed to help filter that. Movies are shown over the pool and the bar was pretty happening. Compared to other hotels in the area it was a good deal, but if you’re looking for a quiet and private stay, this might not be for you.

Date of stay: August 2019
1  Thank tiredconferencegoer
NatalieR2714, General Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2019

On behalf of the Pearl Crew, thank you for your review! We are definitely a livelier hotel and encourage guests to get the whole 'Pearl experience' by joining us in our bar + restaurant, especially on a Dive-In Movie night (Wednesdays). Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review and we hope to have you back soon. Cheers!

Reviewed August 1, 2019

I appreciate authenticity in my life. Driving up to the “Pearl Hotel,” I see instantly it’s a motel: small building, two stories, rooms facing the pool on the ground floor, and cars pulled up to the perimeter. A motel.

At this point, this is only a casual observation, because I’m distracted. The staff is cheery, personal and present. Very lovely. Adjacent to the spec of lobby is an indoor/outdoor restaurant, Charles & Dinorah, where we wound up making an extraordinarily good happy hour menu satisfy our dinner needs.

Our first floor room (of course, next to the swimming pool) is adequate in size and has an almost secure outdoor space with table and chairs. Then, it’s as if my rosy-colored glasses turned somber.

The carpet is ripped and worn. The “closet” is a u-shaped steel configuration that stands over and hugs a two-drawer dresser below. The rod is so high, my short stature has to stand on tippy toes to even begin to grab those annoying you-will-never-steal-these hangers that hook into hardware on the rod. The tub has a four-inch chunk missing from the “porcelain,” and four tiles are cracked. Plus, the one time hook on the back of the bathroom door is missing, and there are inadequate amount of racks to fold towels that we’re asked to save. I’m always willing to conserve water, but PLEASE (all hotels), provide enough towel racks so I can dry towels between showers.

The top dresser drawer must have suffered a flood, because its bottom is warped and the paint is badly chipped.

The queen platform bed is soft, a bit misshapen and so low to the ground, it would easily accommodate a toddler. But that’s the good part. The platform supporting the mattress extends at least 12” beyond the mattress, which invites toe stubbing (at a minimum) during middle of the night treks to the bathroom, but worse, a terrible stumble and injury.

The window A-C unit alerts us with a red warning light that the filter is past due its change.

You want more? The noise level from the happy drinkers at the bar is so deafening it’s difficult to sleep. I want to be happy for them, but…

We were charged $300/night. This is MAYbe an $80-89/night room. This is, remember, an old and tired motel that advertises “boutique.” We realized we’d be paying more, because our nights were a Friday and Saturday, but for the value, we were robbed.

Upon leaving, the very nice receptionist asked the ubiquitous question, “And how was your stay?” Quick to notice the displeasure on my face, she implored us to tell her everything so she could tell the new owners. I gave her the list you’ve just been kind and patient enough to read. She explained a renovation is underway and there are two rooms that have been completed. We wouldn’t recognize them, she offered gleefully, but she said they were right over the bar so we wouldn’t like the noise. I’m wondering how much noisier than our rooms that could be, and hadn’t they considered sound abatement construction like triple-glazed windows and solid core doors?

What we didn’t know when booking this hotel was that the very famous and well-attended Comic Con convention coincided with our visit. Surely higher weekend rates and taking advantage of the competition for hotel rooms encouraged them to bump the room charge, so, acknowledging that, I asked what is our room rate on other weekends? Her answer: $240. Ye gods. $240 vs $80. Good luck if you stay here….before or after the complete renovation.

Room tip: No good rooms. All face the open area that contains the pool and the bar.
Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank HavCarryonWillTravel
Jamal B, Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2019

Thank you so much for your feedback. After reviewing the reservation, we remember your stay well and I'm sorry to hear that our attempts to accommodate you and make your stay great fell short. We truly appreciate all of your feedback, it's the only way we can continue to get better. As you mentioned, we are in the process of renovations and we look forward to the changes ahead for our property. It is unfortunate that your stay was during Comic Con. In general all of San Diego has higher prices due to the demand. Although I know our rates were a lot higher, they still were below the $500-$600 prices you would have been paying at a Marriott or Hilton during that time. Appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Cheers!

Reviewed July 26, 2019

Because we were getting into San Diego late on a weeknight and we didn't want to drive up the coast and try to navigate to our VRBO late at night, we decided to stay in San Diego proper. I like to patronize local one-offs rather than national hotel/motel chains. To me life is more fun that way, but I was with the Bride, who dislikes negative surprises.

I vaguely remember in my single-digit youth staying at a beach motel in Laguna Beach, CA. By today's standards, that beach motel room was Spartan, but the beach was out the back door of the motel. Although I don't know the exact age of The Pearl, it reminded me of those older spare quarters.

The Pearl is within a block or two of the San Diego sportfishing fleet, and for those who want to go out early in the a.m., this would be a perfect spot to stay. It is fairly close to the airport, although Google Maps seemed to take us on a 15 minute circuitous jaunt to get there from the airport,

Despite The Pearl's invocation of my pleasant youthful memories, he Bride did not appreciate the funkiness of the place. How funky was it? Well, the room was pretty small. It housed a queen size bed without a frame. The bed was on a wooden platform which extended about 6 inches from the end of the bed, and created a toe and foot hazard for the unwary (We noted the problem from the get-go and we did not experience any problems ourselves.). The bed was abnormally low. When I put on my shoes in the morning and sat on the bed to do that, I nearly missed the corner of the bed--it was a long way down.

The Bride walked into the bathroom and looked at the tub--it was missing a fairly sizable (irregular 3 inch patch) of lining.This did not please her. Nor did the fact that upon arriving late (10:45 p.m.), the bartender at the adjacent bar/restaurant/lobby told us that last call had occurred at 10:15 p.m., although at 11:15 p.m., there were a half dozen or so people hanging out with drinks. The Bride did not like the neighborhood ambiance, either--the hotel is in a business area on a busy street.

There was a room air conditioner which worked fine. There was a small patio out the back of the room. There was no coffee maker in the room, although there was coffee in the lobby. There was also a small pool, but it was not open during the hours of our stay. There was free parking, but I am told that parking can be a problem. This is definitely NOT a good place for kids.

The Pearl advertises that it is a groovy place to stay, and allowing for the fact that we may not have stayed there long enough to get our groove on, it seemed a little more funky than groovy to us.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank narbrich
Jamal B, Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2019

Thank you for your honest review. We are in the process of renovating our rooms and hope you can come back when we are done so you can see how groovy we are.

Reviewed July 2, 2019

The hotel (for a day) was reserved for a wedding event. Reservations were handled well, accommodating everyone as planned for. The parking situation is somewhat difficult to understand; there are a very limited number of spaces, with no clear directions or information...especially if/when, someone who's not authorized, parks in one of the spaces. The rooms are slowly being up-graded with newer, quieter room air conditioner units. Noise from the roads as well as the bar area can be discomforting, but ear plugs are offered (upon request) from the front desk. It is a small, somewhat eclectic place. The prices are a little high (in my opinion) for what you get.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank 451dennisy

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We are indeed renovating our property including the rooms. We hope you can come back once the renovations are complete so you can see how magical our property can be.

Reviewed June 21, 2019

I needed to stay over for a night and be near to the airport. I found the Pearl online and booked it. I had a brief, but good stay. The bar/restaurant and pool scene is great, and was lively. Bartender Michael was very friendly. The room was small but well appointed. The whole experience is a great throw back to an earlier time.

I'd like to come back and stay here longer.

Room tip: perhaps upstairs overlooking the pool and restaurant
Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Jamal B, Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2019

We're so happy you found us and enjoyed your stay. We've worked hard to keep the authenticity of our hotel and glad to hear you noticed the small touches. We hope your travels bring you back to us very soon.