“Funky Boutique Hotel...and that's a good thing”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #21 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Long Beach, California
“Funky Boutique Hotel...and that's a good thing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

If you're into fun, funky boutique hotels with a contemporary vibe then you'll dig The Pearl. We came because the wedding party had booked the place for out of town guests and were really glad they did. We're not the types who like the cookie-cutter, big chain hotels and we felt right at home. The complex is small and cozy, almost had a Melrose Place vibe. We checked in and sat down in the poolside restaurant for a cocktail and appetizer and watched a flick on the 'Dive-In' Movie Screen. Food was a bit pricey but the place was packed so it must be good. They don't have much parking and charge for the spaces they do have (I didn't much like paying to park but it was better than trying to find street parking).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Keizer, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

Check-in time was 3:00 pm and we showed up shortly after that. Our room was ready and waiting. Our hotel clerk assisted us efficiently and the staff (in the bar/restaurant) were extremely accomodating.

The room was pretty basic-platform bed, lamp on one of the two nightstands, reading lap mounted on the wall about the bed, flat-screen TV (bonus for the hubby!), desk, two chairs, dresser. They provided a full-sized ironing board and iron and a full-sized hairdryer. Our room, like all the rooms, had a fish bowl with a Beta in it. Ours was named Betty.

The bed was super comfy with high-thread count sheets, 4 pillows, plus two bolsters. Down comforter and a plush lap blanket.

I had read mixed reviews about the noise level and was expecting to have to put up with loud music until late hours. I'm happy to report that noise was not an issue and our room was right across from the bar/restaurant.

The pool was adorable and I wish we would have had the chance to take a dip. They had a games area where you could play Jenga, checkers, etc. They had an outside area for smoking with a pretty fountain.

In addition to the ample on-street parking, for $10.00/day you could pay for a reserved space. We never had a problem finding a parking spot.

My least favorite part of the stay was that my tub had a slow drain and there were some flying bugs in the room, which I discovered came from their homebase of the potted plant in the room. They never bothered me per se, but they were there.

I'd totally stay here again though!

Los Angeles, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

My partner & I (both women) stayed at this hotel, visiting for the weekend/week from Los Angeles. We had visited the Pearl about a year ago for a friend's birthday party to enjoy drinks and wanted to return to stay in one of the hotel rooms. Previously living in San Diego and knowing the price of an average hotel room, the rooms were a steal. The bed was comfortable, the television was the same one we have in our home in L.A., and we had a fish named Wolfgang for our roommate. The housekeeping was great...I requested a radio and he/she brought us this cool radio with programmed/ satellite channels, did a great job of cleaning the room, and left extra shampoo (by request). The manager (I think) was really nice as well...on Sunday afternoon he was about to close the bar but kept it open for 1-2 hours to serve my friends and I drinks. They have a really cute pool area with cabanas, and a large screen where movies were shown on one of the nights we were there. The only suggestions I have which would make this place a little better would be that the bathrooms are very basic and in need of some upgrading and the hotel is a little noisy. There is loud music playing during the afternoon and evening, which didn't really bother us (the music was good), but might bother other travelers.

Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Pearl was a very fun and funky hotel in a great location. It's located not too far from downtown, with a location right near the water. The Hotel has a very retro feel. It's very clean and the staff was very friendly.

Pros: Location was great. Rooms were very new and clean. Restaurant has GREAT food.

Cons: The cons are not so much "cons", but FYIs.
- If you purchase the "valet" parking, it's probably not worth it. They don't actually have true "reserved" parking and many times, you're left just parking on the street like everyone else.
- The pool is nice, but it's actually part of the restaurant. So, unless all you do it work out and eat fish and vegetables, you may be hesitant to use it, since there's always an audience.
- We stayed in room 20. This was nice because it overlooked the pool/courtyard, BUT since it's right above the restaurant, you MAY be woken up in the AM or be kept up at night because the Bass thumping. The beds in the rooms are low platform beds, so you can hear the bass more than if you were in a regular raised bed. We did ask for them to turn the music down and they did immediately, but it didn't completely remedy the issue.

Other than those few things, we LOVED the Pearl and will probably consider staying there again on a future visit.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

Excellent attentive staff with an unexpected eye for detail. This cute little hotel has a tremendous vibe that miraculously incorporates trendy-retro styling with top-notch fare...all while sitting inside or poolside and watching a great movie on their outdoor video screen! Each recently upgraded room has extremely comfortable beds, flat panel TV's, super-sounding digital radio's, great "Pearl" towels and your own pet fish (mine was named "Oscar"). Wireless Internet throughout the hotel, restaurant, bar and pool. Board games and magazines in their carpeted lounge area too. Oh, and bikes for exploring the cool area and/or beach at no charge! Hotel & restaurant always seems to be sold out and booked up; so, book early!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

The Pearl has modern decor but no attitude. We stayed one night, a Sunday, and though it's on a busy street, it was very quiet. The bed was super comfy (making us wish we had stayed more than one night). Willy the fish (a fishbowl with a goldfish is mounted above eye level on the wall by the window) was a nice touch.
I didn't know about the $10 parking charge, but there's plenty of neighborhood parking. Also, this was a great way to avoid the downtown/Gaslamp district party scene and expensive parking. I also was concerned about possible airport noise, but there was none. I go to San Diego a lot and am looking forward to staying at The Pearl in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

I booked a stay at The Pearl about 6 months prior to my "stay-cation"/bday celebration and spread the word amongst my friends. When the day finally arrived I was more than pleased with the service, surroundings & swanky vibe this little gem provided. I stated at time of check that "I never wanted to leave" and once check out took place, we ended up spending the rest of our day at The Pearl. My friends from across the country fell in love as well. We were all more than pleased with this wonderful spot.
Dinner in the restaurant was DELICIOUS and the menu of offerings were perfection. The custom pearl cocktails were also a snazzy treat. Sunday brunch was the absolute BEST. We were on site from friday night to sunday morning and the hotel's personality, personability and service were beyond EXCELLENT. We will, without a doubt, return to The Pearl...either for a meal or another retreat. I already miss my stay and can't wait to make my way back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends