“So much fun!”

Ranked #23 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Melbourne, Australia
“So much fun!”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at the Pearl a few weeks ago kicking off our tour of the western US. Though it didn't look like much when we pulled up, we were blown away by how awesome everything was when we got checked in. The room was decent sized, and had everything we needed. The bar and restaurant were lively and full of ambiance, and the food and drinks were incredibly good.

Though the accommodations were fantastic, what really made this place our favorite stop on the journey were the incredibly helpful staff. Ben was working during our first morning and he took a great amount of time to help us figure out what spots to check out in town. He gave us about five maps to work off of and some awesome recommendations for cool places away from the tourist spots. Meagan was also super helpful in our search for a rental car place nearby. The bar staff were friendly and served up a mean rye-tai.

Though we could see how the pearl is not for every traveler, if you are wanting to have fun in a charismatic and charming upbeat hotel, look no further!!!

Cheers,
J&E

Room Tip: King size room, ask for a patio!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing The Pearl to kick off your vacation and deeming it your FAVORITE!! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff provided rockstar service. Please tell a friend and come back soon. Make it an amazing day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Masaka, Uganda
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I loved the intimate feel of the property that somehow simultaneously worked with the privacy of my room. I worry about small boutique hotels sometimes because while I like the idea of getting to know people, and of being in a small space (as opposed to a vast, corporate property), I very much value my own space at the same time. The Pearl offers both. Room number 1, where I stayed, is literally steps from the pool and fun bar/restaurant, and yet thanks to the clever design and smart placement of fences and plants, I felt tucked safely away. Small patio off the back, too! I'm a big believer in supporting locally owned businesses (am writing this from a similar property in Phoenix now), and The Pearl delivered without asking me to compromise. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony or patio. San Diego is too fabulous to stay inside.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Enndee
Thank you for your kind review. Appreciate your support of our small family business. Glad to hear you enjoyed our thoughtful design. Tell a friend. Please come back soon!
Napa Valley, California
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Loved staying here. A great retro yet modern small hotel in the heart of San Diego. This hotel was more than I expected. Unique checking process.. Very personal and welcoming. Rooms have platform beds and are nicely appointed. I loved our mascot Presley (Blue beta fish) in our room. Pool was warm and clean. The only issue is the bar was closed. They were sold out yet chose not to open the great Bar area. Would stay here again as it is a great value but only if they open up all amenities.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a kind review. We appreciate the support. Very sorry you weren't able to experience the bar & restaurant, and we've talked to the hotel manager on how to avoid that situation in the future Please come back and give us another try! You won't be dissapointed. Make it a great day.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at The Pearl. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a cool, fun vibe, and I enjoyed relaxing by the pool at the end of the day after exploring San Diego.

I stayed in an upstairs room which was comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for choosing the Pearl Hotel. Honored to have you as our guest. We appreciate your kind review and hope you will come stay with us again soon. Tell a Friend.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We loved our stay at the Pearl hotel! This renovated retro motel has style, class and comfort. Our room was always very clean and not lacking any details, right down to the fish named Ace who lives in his fish bowl on the wall. The staff were incredibly helpful! They always got back to us about questions we had and we had many questions. Once one of the staff members even left her information search with an employee who started after her and when we got back from our site seeing day he gave us more information than we had asked for. We ate dinner at the hotel each night because the food is outstanding along with the service and there is an overall super cool vibe around the hotel in the evening. Many evenings there was some kind of organized activity happening and it worked! Wednesday a movie showed at the pool on a big screen and people ate and drank while watching the film. Thursday was bingo night for great prizes too! Each day after the cleaning staff had visited our room we had a note giving us a summary of the upcoming weather, specials in the restaurant, and activities in the hotel. It's a pity that there was no breakfast in the hotel, but the staff were really accommodating while we ate our simple bought breakfast in the dining area. We would absolutely stay here again as well as recommend it to any of our friends traveling to San Diego (in fact we already have). Thank you Pearl hotel for your sincere and friendly smiles and truly commendable service!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary B
From the entire Pearl team, a big thank you for your review! Glad to hear you had an amazing stay. We pride ourselves on providing the best guest experience in town. We hope you can return soon & very much appreciate you telling a friend. Make it a great day.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I am not sure where to start. Our plane was late...we checked in at 3:30 a.m. We were happily greeted and it was effortless. The room was amazing and we loved our little fish...Barnaby. Every single person at the hotel could not do enough for us. They were friendly, informative, caring, giving and most of all, loveable - even the cleaning women. The place is spotless all the time. From the bamboo walls on the outside, to the pool, the furniture, the style, the shag carpet in the lobby relaxing area...totally amazing. They have beach bikes that hotel guests can use for free and we enjoyed using them. The food is to die for. We had the Gouda Burger and Brussel Sprouts one night and thought we were in heaven. We had the Sunday Brunch with bottomless Mimosas and once again...in heaven. The beer and drink list was extensive and everything we tried was quite amazing. We could have enjoyed our stay simply hanging out at the hotel. Oh yeah...the morning coffee...best I have EVER had anywhere, and complimentary. The staff was crazy wonderful. I didn't get many names so I apologize to the other wonderful people that helped us but Jen and Nick were crazy cool and crazy fun. The location gets 5 stars. We were a hop, skip and jump away from everything. We had a car, which was needed but driving was quick and easy. Be forewarned, this place is POPULAR. People come from miles around to eat here. They are known for their gourmet food. We had no idea when we went down for dinner that reservations are needed and the restaurant was full. We were squeezed in and treated like a queen and king, especially after telling them we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. The only negative that I don't think can be remedied is that dinner is served around the pool area, therefore, it is unlikely one would want to use the pool at the end of a long San Diego day. Swim in the morning or mid-day. We paid $10/day for a parking spot and did not regret it. This hotel is located in a very safe neighborhood with a lot of street parking but it can be hard to find. I can not thank the staff, cooks, bartenders and cleaning staff enough for the wonderful experience. I don't know when we will be back but I promise you, this Minnesota couple will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the crazy wonderful review! Love the attention to detail, and we agree -- our staff is amazing!! We are honored you chose to stay at The Pearl and hope you can return soon for an equally wonderful stay. Appreciate your support. Make it a great day.
Orange County, California
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I heard about this spot from a friend and I'm really glad I checked it out. You definitely can't tell how cool it is from the outside, but when you walk in it really speaks for itself. The staff was super helpful. Natalie, the hotel manager, made my girlfriend and I feel very welcome and let us know all of all the things the Pearl has to offer. You definitely need to hit up the bar and you have to try the brussels sprouts. I used to live in SD, but had never been there before. I'm glad we found the perfect spot to stay when taking a mini vacation away.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
On behalf of the entire Pearl crew. Thank you very much for your review. Your support means the world to us. Glad you had a chance to try the restaurant - the brussels sprouts ARE amazing. Hope to see you soon. Make it a great day.