“Adorable hotel & rooms!”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #47 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed in the Gem room because it has a mirrored ceiling. Adorable hotel, great restaurant and fun atmosphere. Every room has a betta fish and they play movies outside near the pool every night. There's also a bar that's open pretty late (it's not like a club or anything.) Highly recommend it! It's also near the water and near a lot of really nice restaurants, including everything downtown has to offer.

Room Tip: The Gem is the smallest room they have but it has a mirrored ceiling, so if it's a short trip fo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

On behalf of the entire Pearl Hotel crew, thank you very much for the kind review. glad you enjoyed your stay with us. we appreciate your support and hope you will visit us again soon. Tell a Friend!!!!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a fantastic place with a lively ambience. It's a nice break from the typical chains. The lounge has great specials and I really wish I could have stayed for the dive in movie night. I will definitely come back when back in San Diego

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Johanna B

Thank you very much for the kind review. really appreciate it. Hope you will come stay with us again soon. We appreciate the support. Tell a friend.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Came down to San Diego to get away and I like to stay in more hip boutique style hotels and I found The Pearl on my search so I thought I would give them a try. Comparing the pictures to the actual thing was a little disappointing. It looks like a halfhearted attempt to spruce up an old highway motel. The rooms just felt cheap and the walls were thin. This hotel rests RIGHT on a busy road so despite where your room is located; you're going to hear the traffic. The parking situation is terrible at best. If you're lucky enough to score one of their 2-3 spaces GREAT, if not you're on your own. They give you a pass so your car wont get towed when you have to park somewhere in the neighborhood. But the cherry on top was the "mysterious" $500-and-and-some-odd charge which showed up on my card after my first day there. When I confront the front "desk" clerk about this, her story kept changing. Basically some warmed over story about some kind of "deposit" but they essentially acted as if they got caught and after some assurance that what they did was ILLEGAL, they immediately put the money back. BUYER BEWARE!

Room Tip: Just get a normal, regular size room, and dont splurge on any extras; you'll be disappointed.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Good day. I am writing to reply to your review. First let me say I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us. The entire staff at the Pearl strives to make each and every guest stay a special one.

Parking can be a challenge at our property but we don't have 2 or 3 spaces we do have 10 on property spaces and plenty of parking in the neighborhood.

I have asked the hotel manager to look into the $500 charge you said took place. I am happy to discuss with you and as the owner of the hotel I can state 100% we are in the business of serving our guests not overcharging people for charges. Our focus is affordable lodging with exceptional guest service. I am sorry if we made a mistake, please accept my sincere apology. I am happy to discuss your stay, I can be reached at the pearl hotel.

Make it a great day.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've been an out of town regular for about 2 years. Every 2 months or so I travel from Seattle to enjoy some relaxing San Diego time. The property is hip, retro old school California/West Palm Beach. Without exception the staff does whatever is necessary to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Having grown up near The Pearl, it great to see friends (and long time residents) frequent the bar and restaurant. That type of loyalty speaks volumes for their vision and attention to detail. Rooms are small, but quaint and a real deal for the money. I cannot think of a better, more centrally located property with easy access to downtown, Ocean Beach and the freeways. Keep up the great work! See you in another month.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are quieter, while ones directly above the pool can be a bit loud.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

To our local and regular. Much thanks for the amazing review. really appreciate your continued support and very kind words. Honored to have you as our guest and it's a true pleasure to serve you. See you soon. Please tell a friend.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My niece had her wedding last weekend - great venue for wedding if you want laid back and relaxed. It was wonderful. Might help to have mics to hear the pastor and vows. Food was fabulous - thanks Chef! Best part was we were able to rent out the entire hotel so it was like a big family reunion. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Love the vintage theme of the hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms are smaller than others. One of the downstairs rooms had a little patio with chairs - I w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review!!!!! really appreciate it. Congrats to your niece. will pass your kind words onto the Pearl team. Our Chef is awesome!!!!!! Hope you will come stay with us again soon. For those that read this and are considering a special event or wedding, take note. it's an awesome place to buy all the hotel rooms for that special day. Tell a friend. Gratitude.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I always stay at the Pearl on my business trips to SD.

Two great reasons to stay here:
- The atmosphere is really cool - like a 70s style vintage feel with a pool and projector screen just outside the lobby. The bar is small with a laid-back feel and the hotel is only about 20 rooms so it's really comfy.
- The staff is really friendly. Upon my last stay there was a personalized post card waiting for me on my bed with two drink "bobbers" for the bar. The owner also personally emailed me upon reviewing the hotel after my stay.

There are several other reasons this is a cool place - location, price, and the fish on the wall. If you don't stay here, take your date here for dinner!

Room Tip: If you want more "room" in your room get the King Sized bed. If you want mirrors on your...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jason O
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

On behalf of the entire Pearl crew. THANK YOU for your review and support. wishing you all the best in 2013. Please come visit us again soon. Tell a friend!!!!!!!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel has a restaurant downstairs, and between 7 pm and 11 pm, the loud music and super high base is unbearable. The whole room is trembling with the base. And when you ask them to turn it down they say they can't. Very annoying as we traveled from DC all day and are very tired. If you are in town on business and you need to sleep at nights, find some other hotel.
Aside from that the room is very clean and hip, but don't really care since the base is playing in my head right now.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank izmirli12345
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Very sorry to hear about your noise challenge. I will be discussing it with our management team. While our little Pearl can be lively with hotel guests we should have turned down the volume. That is our company policy. Not sure why it did not happen. Again please accept my apology. Hope you will give us another try considering you liked other aspects of our property.