New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #19 of 283 Hotels in San Diego
Downey, California
“All About the Decor & Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel after it was recommended by my parents. It’s appears to be an old apartment building that was converted into a super trendy hotel. We stayed in the jewel room. The room was large, well decorated, had a semi-private patio and even had a little beta fish. All the little touches (like the fish) made this hotel so unique and neat to stay in.

The common areas (restaurant seating, “entry lounge” and pool) were very well kept and very welcoming but it didn’t seem to be the place to hang out in the daytime. Though the hotel is very mellow during the day (workers on their laptops in the restaurant and an empty pool), the whole hotel comes alive at night.

Between happy hour, amazing cocktails, beer on tap, appetizers, main courses and delicious desert this restaurant is a hit and fills up to capacity every night! Both nights we made sure be back to the hotel early so we could get good seats and hang out all night to eat, drink and watch whatever was showing on the huge projector screen over the pool. I was adventurous and tried a lot of their specialty cocktails. They varied from great to weird to umm.. no BUT it all depends on your taste! Everything we tried was delicious.

I highly recommend this hotel, especially for the restaurant.

Room Tip: If you cant book online, try calling. We always had better luck reserving by phone...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thanks for the GREAT REVIEW!!!!!!!! Much appreciated. Our restaurant is amazing. Solid culinary team lead by Chef Jaison Burke. We appreciate your support and hope you will come stay with us again soon. Tell a friend!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I had read about The Pearl in Sunset magazine, so when we were planning a trip to San Diego last month this was my hotel of choice. I love the overall aesthetic, and the way that they have utilised every inch of space. We LOVED our room. A table in the restaurant is the way to go for Wed movie night - it is such a cool event with lots of atmosphere, and people watching. Kimberley, the manager went above and beyond to make our stay as enjoyable as possible, and if I am ever in San Diego again I would definitely stay there. Also we found some great stuff in the Urbanist brochure that was in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks for the "Fabulous" review!!!!! Appreciate it. Hope you will come visit us again soon. Guest Experience is a top priority of our establishment: Kim does a great job leading the way.

The Urbanist is a great tool to find some cool things to do in San Diego. glad it came in handy. Please come visit again soon. Tell a friend.
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

The pearl hotel was just what we needed. Our last stop of our road trip took us to relaxed san diego and the pearl hotel. It was a good decision, absolutely friendly staff, who made us feel really welcome (the girl who checked us in, not only helped us find a place where we could have an oil change done, she even printed out a voucher for us, so we could get a good deal! This was really the best service we experienced in 2 weeks!) the hotel is located in a nice neighbourhood, parking was available at the hotel for 10$ i believe, but it was free to park on the street and there was always parking available.

The room was cozy and cute. I liked rambo, the fish:-) we asked for a quiet room, because we had been travelling for a while and needed a good night sleep. Even though the room was quiet at night you could hear every word from the restaurant and the pool when they were open. But never mind, it was quiet at night and this was most important. They also do a film night once a week, which we really enjoyed, food was excellent and the service was great, too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of the entire Pearl Hotel crew: Thanks for the kind review. We appreciate your support. Hope you will come visit us again soon.
Nevada City, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I travel for a living. So when I find a place that I like I return. This hotel is a gem. A great restraurant / bar with indoor seating and outdoor tables adjacent to the pool. Above the pool hangs a movie screen. It's much like having dinner at a drive-in. The scene is always old school California. This is a great experience for Californians and must be even more unique for out of town travelers. This is a must try.

Room Tip: Go for a Strand room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for the great review. Glad you appreciate and enjoyed our little Pearl. Please come visit again soon. We appreciate your support. Tell a friend.
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Pearl appears to be a renovated 50s motel, and during daylight that is what the exterior looks like. It is two stories in a horseshoe shape, open side facing busy Rosecrans St., with a swimming pool in most of the center. A huge movie screen is mounted facing the pool on one side of the horseshoe, a video projector is mounted on the opposite side.

I stayed two nights, a week apart, enroute to and from a scuba diving destination. Traveling by myself with a group of acquaintances, I opted for "The Gem"- a "bachelor pad"at 112 sq ft. going, and "The Jewel" at 225 sq ft.on the return.

The Gem was barely big enough to turn around in (I expected this), and the head of the bed was only about 6 inches from the air conditioner, so every time it cycled on the vibration woke me up. All night. I notice that the picture on their web site (http://www.thepearlsd.com/default.aspx?pg=gem) has the bed oriented differently than mine was, so perhaps it's only room 15 that has the a/c next to the pillow.

I didn't mind the small size - I've had much smaller accommodations on live-aboard scuba diving boats - but don't even think about two people in this room unless they're VERY friendly. On the good side, the room was clean, appeared to have been freshly painted, and the bathroom had lots of hot water, all new fixtures, and everything worked.

My arrival day was a Wednesday, which is movie night. The main viewing area is from the bar and adjacent poolside dining area, which was full of mostly young adults enjoying themselves, but it never got too loud or out of hand. There were no kids there that evening. The movie was "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" which has a very percussive sound track, so any early sleepers would have had a hard time of it, but movie hour seemed to run from 7 til about 9, so most would have not been bothered.

On the return trip I stayed in room 20, one of the "Jewel" rooms on the second floor, located right over the bar; I suspected bar noise might be an issue, but that was not the case as there was little action. Wednesday's movie night must be the busiest weekday night. The room was huge compared to The Gem, and very comfortable, clean and newly refurbished. Curiously, the movie screen showed the Home Shopping Network (sound muted) all evening.

A comment on the service- great! The young man at the desk was friendly and helpful, and when he was unable to give me a first floor room, jumped up and carried the heaviest of my three bags up to my room for me, without expecting a tip. The bar staff was quick and efficient handling our group of six, even volunteering to provide separate checks, which I find very unusual with a group of any size.

I ate one dinner meal there, and it was really good. Seven others from the dive group had joined me, and we ate in a small, private gravel-floored outdoor area fenced with 20 ft bamboo, just off the lobby. All agreed that the food was excellent, the service was wonderful, and the San Diego weather was sublime!

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are farther from the highway and traffic noise. If you are mobility limited, ask f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thanks for the detailed review. appreciate it greatly. Hope you will come stay with us again soon. Tell a Friend.
Brookfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Pearl Hotel is a perfect hotel for couples, families or if you're traveling solo. I found the hotel to be a fun happening place to enjoy & enhance your stay in San Diego. I had room 19 right across the movie screen, I didn't even have to leave my room to watch. My roommate was a red Betta Fish named Ginger. The food was excellent. The staff was very pleasant. Shout out to Jessy. If you plan on staying try to be there for Tuesdays Burger & Beer night, Wednesday Movie night and Sunday Brunch. I loved my room, (thanks for the H2O products I will be purchasing them). The bed was so comfortable. The decor from the lobby lounge to the pool, bar and a quaint outdoor room right off the lobby was just what I love, a mixture of Zen & Retro. Loved everything about this hotel and I will make it a point to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool can be noisy but I didn't mind, I loved hearing people having a good...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MrsTriz99
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
On behalf of the entire Pearl Hotel team. Thanks for the great review. Very detailed and sounds like you had a great time. We appreciate your support and business. Please come stay with us again soon. Tell a friend.
Yellow Springs OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Pearl is a super fun find for anyone who laments the fact they missed the California glory days! This hotel has been lovingly restored to it's heyday and boasts so many vintage touches, it's hard to find them all in one trip. The staff went above and beyond to ensure we had a great stay and Kimberly, the manager gave us a wealth of sightseeing options for maximizing our short stay in San Diego. We will definitely return to The Pearl!

Room Tip: Love that many rooms overlook the funky boomerang shaped pool!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very, very much for your great review. We appreciate your support. Hope you will come visit us again soon.