“Very nice place for the money”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #30 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Atlanta
“Very nice place for the money”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Pearl appears to be a renovated 50s motel, and during daylight that is what the exterior looks like. It is two stories in a horseshoe shape, open side facing busy Rosecrans St., with a swimming pool in most of the center. A huge movie screen is mounted facing the pool on one side of the horseshoe, a video projector is mounted on the opposite side.

I stayed two nights, a week apart, enroute to and from a scuba diving destination. Traveling by myself with a group of acquaintances, I opted for "The Gem"- a "bachelor pad"at 112 sq ft. going, and "The Jewel" at 225 sq ft.on the return.

The Gem was barely big enough to turn around in (I expected this), and the head of the bed was only about 6 inches from the air conditioner, so every time it cycled on the vibration woke me up. All night. I notice that the picture on their web site (http://www.thepearlsd.com/default.aspx?pg=gem) has the bed oriented differently than mine was, so perhaps it's only room 15 that has the a/c next to the pillow.

I didn't mind the small size - I've had much smaller accommodations on live-aboard scuba diving boats - but don't even think about two people in this room unless they're VERY friendly. On the good side, the room was clean, appeared to have been freshly painted, and the bathroom had lots of hot water, all new fixtures, and everything worked.

My arrival day was a Wednesday, which is movie night. The main viewing area is from the bar and adjacent poolside dining area, which was full of mostly young adults enjoying themselves, but it never got too loud or out of hand. There were no kids there that evening. The movie was "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" which has a very percussive sound track, so any early sleepers would have had a hard time of it, but movie hour seemed to run from 7 til about 9, so most would have not been bothered.

On the return trip I stayed in room 20, one of the "Jewel" rooms on the second floor, located right over the bar; I suspected bar noise might be an issue, but that was not the case as there was little action. Wednesday's movie night must be the busiest weekday night. The room was huge compared to The Gem, and very comfortable, clean and newly refurbished. Curiously, the movie screen showed the Home Shopping Network (sound muted) all evening.

A comment on the service- great! The young man at the desk was friendly and helpful, and when he was unable to give me a first floor room, jumped up and carried the heaviest of my three bags up to my room for me, without expecting a tip. The bar staff was quick and efficient handling our group of six, even volunteering to provide separate checks, which I find very unusual with a group of any size.

I ate one dinner meal there, and it was really good. Seven others from the dive group had joined me, and we ate in a small, private gravel-floored outdoor area fenced with 20 ft bamboo, just off the lobby. All agreed that the food was excellent, the service was wonderful, and the San Diego weather was sublime!

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are farther from the highway and traffic noise. If you are mobility limited, ask f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thanks for the detailed review. appreciate it greatly. Hope you will come stay with us again soon. Tell a Friend.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Brookfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Pearl Hotel is a perfect hotel for couples, families or if you're traveling solo. I found the hotel to be a fun happening place to enjoy & enhance your stay in San Diego. I had room 19 right across the movie screen, I didn't even have to leave my room to watch. My roommate was a red Betta Fish named Ginger. The food was excellent. The staff was very pleasant. Shout out to Jessy. If you plan on staying try to be there for Tuesdays Burger & Beer night, Wednesday Movie night and Sunday Brunch. I loved my room, (thanks for the H2O products I will be purchasing them). The bed was so comfortable. The decor from the lobby lounge to the pool, bar and a quaint outdoor room right off the lobby was just what I love, a mixture of Zen & Retro. Loved everything about this hotel and I will make it a point to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool can be noisy but I didn't mind, I loved hearing people having a good...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MrsTriz99
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
On behalf of the entire Pearl Hotel team. Thanks for the great review. Very detailed and sounds like you had a great time. We appreciate your support and business. Please come stay with us again soon. Tell a friend.
Yellow Springs OH
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Pearl is a super fun find for anyone who laments the fact they missed the California glory days! This hotel has been lovingly restored to it's heyday and boasts so many vintage touches, it's hard to find them all in one trip. The staff went above and beyond to ensure we had a great stay and Kimberly, the manager gave us a wealth of sightseeing options for maximizing our short stay in San Diego. We will definitely return to The Pearl!

Room Tip: Love that many rooms overlook the funky boomerang shaped pool!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very, very much for your great review. We appreciate your support. Hope you will come visit us again soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is a poorly remodeled motel. The owner invites "locals" to use the motel pool all Saturday afternoon and into the evening so you will not be able to use the pool/bar area during that timeframe. It turned out to be a large, outrageously loud drunken affair. I was thankful when it all ended. Perhaps this what the owner means by an "active" place. Pay attention to other reviews that comment about the curtains not fitting the windows (they don't) and they were filthy. Everthing screams cheap at this motel. I would give this motel one star, however the dinner that I had while there was very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SherrieS
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
It saddens me to hear your comments about our property. The Pearl has won numerous awards for design and remodel efforts. We are very proud of what we created, both the property, our team and guest experience. We do welcome locals to use our property, we are locally owned and operated with a restaurant and bar. So, yes locals do support our restaurant and bar which is directly next to the pool.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you about your experience. The last 4 Saturday afternoons I personally did the gardening and ground maintenance at the Pearl. please let me know how I can reach you to discuss.

Will pass your kind words onto the Chef and restaurant team. Appreciate it greatly.
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Pearl location is perfect. It is clean, near the ocean, near unique communities, and restaurants. The best part about The Pearl is their customer service. We were there for pleasure but also looking for a future place we can call home. We traveled all the way from Columbus, Ohio to San Diego to enjoy the weather, the sites, in hopes to find a new place to live. The manager Kim was awesome and very helpful in steering us in the right direction. Did I say the manager Kim was great!! I really can't find the words to describe how much Kim went over and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. The entire staff at The Pearl was great, but Kim exceeded all customer service expectations. Again The Pearl is beautiful and anyone visiting San Diego must stay at The Pearl!! I recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thanks for the MONEY review!!!!!!!!!. We greatly appreciate you taking time to write a detailed review. Hope you will come visit again soon. Will share with Kim. She is a money manager. Much respect to our valued guests.
Toronto
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a very cool hotel, with lots to do. The rooms are cute, love the decor. My only complaint is that some of the furniture in the room was looking tired (dresser has chipped paint all over). Air conditioner worked well and was very quiet. The hotel has lots to do while you are there (BINGO, movies, bonfire) and we were so busy that we didn't get to partake but wished we could have.
Staff was lovely and even gave pointers for free parking (which is readily available on the street). The hotel was quiet after 10:30pm. I was there over a weekend and had no trouble sleeping.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
On behalf of the entire Pearl team. Thanks for the review. We appreciate your support. Come visit us again soon.
Beijing, China
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Pearl is a very stylish motel among 10's of others on the same street. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but I do understand the reviewer who said they felt like they were interrupting the staff., and I can not put my finger on why that is. The food was great and our room was also good, I think they have done a lot to make the motel really fun looking and individual. I think it is expected that there will be some noise from the street and bar and we were fine with that as it lasted until the bar closed. However, if you want a quiet night you should stay somewhere else.

We are not from the area but read that it was close to the Gaslamp district. If you are from the USA, then yes it is a very short drive, but as Europeans we thought that meant a short walk.

Parking at the Motel is $10, but you can also park on the street for free which we found very easily.

Still a nice place to stay or at least to go for a drink or food. If I lived in San Diego I would surely drink or eat there often.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaspalita
Thanks for your review. appreciate you taking time to review our little Pearl. All of your comments will be addressed with staff. Hospitality is so important to us. thanks again for staying with us. We appreciate your support.