“Really sweet updated boutique hotel”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #23 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Nashville, Tennessee
“Really sweet updated boutique hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had a one-night stay and booked their smallest room - the Gem. It's very small (10' x 11') but we didn't mind. There was plenty of room to hang out in the lobby and the bar or around the pool. Great price for a gorgeous, trendy spot. Staff was friendly, fun and helpful. Went for drinks and apps in their bar at happy hour - super deal and delicious. Restaurant/bar had a talented bartender and made great handcrafted cocktails. The mussels were terrific. Their Wednesday night movie by the pool was something we hated to miss! Parking is an extra fee but there is plenty of street parking, especially on weekends. Staff can tip you off where to park on the street. If you're looking for a nice dinner and you don't want to eat at their restaurant try Cucina Urbana.

Room Tip: The bed looks short in the photo but that's because it's turned sideways to function like a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
What a Gem of a review!!!!! Thank you very very much. yes, the Gem rooms are a bit small, I think 114 Square Feet to be exact, but they work great and our common area is pretty awesome to enjoy. Hope you will come visit us again soon. We appreciate your support. Tell a friend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Rhode Island
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Every negative review about this hotel is correct and every positive review about this hotel is correct.
The good:
Funky modern retro vibe
Food was great
Convenient location
The bad:
Bathroom needs to be upgraded
Noisy on Saturday night

When we checked in the woman helping us was very helpful ( Kim). We were told that there were some rooms with upgraded bathrooms but we would be staying in a room with an old bathroom, for our troubles we were given a voucher for 2 drinks and an app. This was a nice gesture, but our bathroom was in serious need of a renovation. On Saturday night the hotel was hoppin, I am not picky about noise, but the doors to the rooms are paper thin and when I fell asleep at around midnight the noise level was still high. If you are a picky sleeper I would not recommend this hotel for the weekend. The rest of the nights were not noisy at all. One thing to keep in mind is that this hotel is roughly 100 dollars a night so what should you really expect. I don't think I would stay at the pearl again while in San Diego, but it was sufficient for my trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GregRI
thanks for your review. we are renovating the remaining 4 bathrooms next week. So all 23 of our super cool rooms will have new bathrooms. I am sorry for the challenge in that area. yes. our hotel can be a bit lively with guests. Our restaurant and bar are supposed to close at 12am. will discuss with our management team. sorry for that challenge.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I recently stayed at the Pearl for vacation. I was there 7 nights and located in a room near the pool.

Pluses: The room itself was spacious, clean, and modern. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. Great location - especially for one with a car. The fish in my room - his name is Ace and he was super cute.

Minus: The bathroom was a bit of a problem. The bathtub faucet leaked 6 out of the 7 nights I was a visitor. I told the front desk repeatedly and they assured me that maintenance would check it out. I believed them, but for some reason, the "fixes" just didn't take. I bring this up due to the fact that the hotel was trying to be green and not waste water. However, my bathroom was apparently not copied on that memo! Towards the end of my stay, the shower head decided to not work anymore.

Upon checkout, the front desk agent (she probably was a manager since she didn't wear the "work T-shirt" I saw on the other front desk people) was super nice and actually took off one night's charges due to all of the issues I had with my bathroom.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel. The next time I'm in SD, I'll probably stay here but not request the room I had on this trip!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for your review!!!!! sorry for the challenge in your bathroom. very sorry. I will discuss with management. your comments are well taken and we will correct and continue to strive to offer great guest experiences. Please come visit again. We appreciate your support.
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Pearl for our honeymoon. We stayed in "the Gem" room, which was small, but it was perfect for us. The mirrored ceiling made the room feel bigger. We loved our room companion, a beta fish named Greta. The hotel staff really made our stay. They were incredibly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about the local attractions. They had great bartenders and the food was great! The salt water pool is kept at a comfortable 85 degrees and is 8.5 feet deep on one end. We will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: FYI - the hotel has a bar/restaurant that is very popular. Be aware that you will be able to hear th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Wedding!!!!! Big Time Congrats. Glad you could stay with us. Very Honored. Thanks for the great review. Tell a friend. We appreciate the support.
Carlsbad, California, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Most epic Mother's Day our family has had in a very long time! We were able to all come together in a unique & fun setting. Kid's were occupied, adults had a blast...mom's (6 of us) were able to relax & enjoy our food, the pool, the cabana, & the room, in a close & engaging atmosphere...we were all able to reconnect with each other in this venue...AWESOME!!!
The staff was the icing on our cake...red velvet that is, thanks y'all...YOWSA, THE PEARL's a real gem!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
SWEET REVIEW. thank you very much. Will share will our "rockin" staff. they are amazing. Work so hard to exceed guest experience expectations. Happy Post Mothers Day to all the Moms. Come visit us again soon.
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Excellent staff. Clean!! Wednesday night movie by the pool is a very cool local event.

• Stayed May 2012
ModernTraveler10, Owner at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. True story, we do have an excellent staff!!!!!! They care about each and every guest experience. Please come visit again soon. Tell a friend.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We recently booked 4 nights at the Pearl in San Diego.
The price was very reasonable, but we were a little unsure if we would still get to see San Diego even though we werent staying in the Gaslamp district
The location is a little way away from all the activity of the Gaslamp, but it was a really nice calm part of town
We got around by catching buses and as there was a bus stop right outside the hotel it made getting around SD so easy!
The staff were all friendly and were always around to help
The restaurant/bar downstairs was like being transported back in time to vintage Palm Springs. One night we ate dinner and sat outside by the pool - even though it was freezing, they had heating - and watched a crazy, kitsch film by the pool (hang on, where are we??)
It was so much fun
The rooms were clean, simple design and yet modern. We absolutely loved the goldfish touch in the room; his name was Gilligan (hi Gilligan!!!) and he was great company.
There is also lots of parking if you have a car.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the main road
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the entire Pearl Hotel crew, Thank you very much for your kind review. we appreciate it. appreciate the detail. come visit us again soon. It's guest like you that make this business so worthwhile. Tell a friend.