Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station
Ranked #9 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Vancouver, Canada
“Highly recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a week with my husband and 7 year old son. We loved it! Our room was a one bedroom suite with king bed. There was enough room for a roll away bed for my son next to the king bed rather than using the pullout sofa bed. Loved having a separate living room/kitchen. We found the room quiet, comfortable and clean. The shower has fantastic water pressure. The grounds are impeccable - beautiful lush gardens and really peaceful. The hotel is situated on the bay/waterfront with a lovely walkway in front of the hotel. There is no noise from traffic only the occasional plane which did not bother us in the slightest. There are a few stores/food outlets next to the hotel that are convenient. Breakfast is included and is excellent, great variety of hot and cold foods and waffle makers. Breakfast is busy but that is a given in a hotel this size, the staff are constantly replenishing and do their best to keep up with the morning rush. The only issue I had was with other guests who get up and leave their dirty dishes on the table when other guests are clearly waiting to get a table, it's basic manners to clean up after yourself! A light dinner served with beer and wine is available mon-thurs, we didn't actually attend but did walk through on our way out one evening and it looked good, it was taco night and there was a decent number of people eating. The pool was a nice refresher after a busy day sightseeing. Every building requires room key to enter so it feels very safe. On saturday and Sunday the hotel has a balloon artist in the lobby at breakfast time which was a big hit with the kids, it was a nice touch. Parking is free and plentiful. We had a car so drove to the attractions we visited. The hotel is located in a very central area so it's an easy drive to the Zoo and Seaworld etc. There are many restaurants within a short drive. I did lots of research of hotels in San Diego and was very glad we chose Homewood Suites. All in all we had a great stay and will hopefully be back one day!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mooley68
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Mooley68,

Excellent!! I'm happy to hear your research of San Diego paid off and that we were a big part of that, thanks for sharing here on TA. These are the type of experiences we are hoping people have when they come visit and stay with us, so Kudos to you and the family.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
Goodyear, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Needed two rooms, wanted to be downtown near Petco Park, prices were horrible. Having stayed at other Homewood Suites decided to give this a try. We were approximatey 5 miles from Petco and the great thing was it was so much more peaceful for our short visit. This was totally unexpected, the area in Liberty Station is very relaxing. Lots of green grass, the bay and so much less traffic. The hotel was not as new as the other Homewood hotels that we have stayed at. but it was clean and quiet and free PARKING!! Only two areas needed improvement: the hallways were smelly not sure why. Breakfast was a zoo, Quess that is always to be expected. Would stay there again, lots of areas to walk to, horseshoes, bbq pit. Good stay.

Room Tip: Stayed on the first floor close to the pool. Could go outside easily and enjoy the bay.
rdjlss,

Thanks for the review and for giving us a chance, good to hear we came through strong! Not sure why the hallways smelled, maybe somebody was cooking something they should hav thought twice about. As for the breakfasts and even our dinners, yes they do get very busy but that just proves how good are cooking is;)

Cheers!

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

On my first visit to San Diego for a family reunion on Coronado Island, a childhood girlfriend and I chose to stay at Homewood Suites near the San Diego Airport. We rented a one bedroom unit and she stayed on the queen-sized sofa bed in the living room. It was clean, spacious and perfect for the 2 of us for 4 days. Our first unit overlooked the pool area where it was quite crowded and noisy. The next morning the front desk offered to switch us to a much quieter location overlooking the water with views of downtown San Diego. It was a much larger unit and they even moved our bags for us while we were gone. The breakfasts were wonderful. Lots of choices and nice dining area. The staff, especially the front desk could have not been more accommodating. I would go there again with no hesitation. Thanks for a great vacation.

Room Tip: Higher floors and not overlooking the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hi RitaFam,

Glad to hear everything worked out so well, thanks for staying with us!

Provo, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here for four (4) nights in August doing light family leisure activities.
Nice full suites/rooms that made it easy to hang out before and after our excursions. Their website is honest and the room was exactly as described.
Could use more TV channels (like Disney).
Great eating within walking distance with Von's grocery .5 mile away.

Room Tip: We sleep 5 in the king bedroom w/ sofa-sleeper no problem.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Bryan M,

Glad you had a great stay, thanks for choosing us. Bring the family back again sometime soon, I will look into gaining access to the Disney channel and others alike but we do have some family and kid friendly movies here at the front desk to borrow complimentary.

Regards,

Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is rated one of the best in San Diego. For that reason, and the fact that they had a king bed with a separate living space, I chose it.

Check in was ok, the front desk guy sent us with all of our luggage to the wrong building. He was very apologetic, gave us some water bottles to say sorry. Mistakes happen, and it's how they handle it that is important. So once we did finally find out spot, we were quite happy with it. Big living area with separate bathroom. The vanity area was a bit small for a family of 4 to share but it did work ok. They need to put some hooks on the walls between the bedroom and the bathroom, just not enough space to hang swim suits, towels etc. Something they could easily do.

The noise was non-existent. The airplanes at SD fly right over but they have sound proofed quite well.

The building does need another elevator, which I know would be impossible but be ready to take stairs some times or have long waits.

Laundry room is very nice, clean and boy did we need to do laundry.

Breakfast is very crowded, noisy, but decent to good food. Plenty of places to sit down, but if you need to go back in to get something the wait and line were very unorganized. Dinner reception exceeded our expectations. We decided to try it and we ended up having it as our meal that night. Saved us $50.

Pool was small but adequate. We only used it one day after the beach.

The temperature in the rooms was set to not go below 72. While gone for the day, it's fine to have a hold on the temperature, but I like to sleep cooler than 72 degrees. This was something I noticed.

Bedding, and beds were good. We needed more towels than provided. They did provide a roll-away as the double sized couch bed was hard for tweens to share. It fit fine, and let our kids each have their own bed for the nights we were here. Nice touch.

Front desk staff was always very friendly and helpful. They had boogie board to borrow which again, saved us a bunch of money.

The only main down side is that you have to drive everywhere from here. We went to 3 different beaches 3 different days, which is nice to try different places, but you always must pack up the car, kids, stuff and head out. This would be the only thing detering me from staying there again. i think next time, I'd like to try a place on the beach. The free breakfast, free parking make it so attractive compared to properties right on the beach, so it's a trade off. The places within walking distance to eat were really good (sushi place, starbucks, Oggie's). So in the evening we didn't have to drive to dinner which was nice.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor at the end of a hall, 473 I think. It was quiet.
1 Thank webtravelreview
JasonBatt, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
webtraveler,

First I would like to apologize again, since I believe I was the one who in fact sent you to the wrong building at first. So sorry again, I can't believe that I made that mistake but thanks for being understanding, I hope the waters helped. I am a bit embarrassed but anyways I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay enough to give us a good review. Sometimes the staff and other certain amenities are what separates a good stay from a bad, despite some minor issues which seemed to be the case here. Our staff here at the front desk love to help our guests in any way we can, as you are aware but for some of those recommendations our Managers will definitely take into consideration. Regarding the room temperature, our controls do adjust, all you have to do is hold the arrow down for a few seconds until it starts blinking but for some reason a lot of people do not realize that and we do get a lot of calls about it. Anyways, thanks again for all your input and for staying with us, we appreciate it. Keep us in mind if the beach hotels don't work out.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

My family and I checked in Tuesday night and from the beginning to the very end the staff at this hotel were super friendly and helpful. Our room location was perfect we were on the 1st flr corner in front of the swimming pool you couldn't hear the people in the pool unless you had the window open and we never heard the planes pass unless we were outside and trust me we were close we could see them take off all the time. The cleanliness of the room was great but Thursday and Friday morning cleaning person was amazing I was impressed by the excellent job I mean you could smell the clean I was impressed. Everything is fairly close we walked one night to Vons to load up our fridge and the surrounding neighborhood is peaceful. If you check in during the week (mon-thur) they do offer complimentary brkfst and dinner it's delicious. The nice part if you don't want to eat there you can take it back to your room. The zoo isn't too far about 10min drive. Also, Old Town and Horton Plaza pretty close like 15min drive.

• Stayed August 2013
cookies217,

A review via mobile, good job! Thanks for taking the time to do so and for giving us a great one, we appreciate it and your choice to stay with us out of all the other hotels in San Diego. Our Housekeeping staff really does do an amazing job and take much pride in the cleanliness of the hotel and all rooms, so thanks for noticing. It's also great to hear about the friendly service and perfect location. Come back anytime!

Regards,

Los Angeles, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at the Homewood Suite at Liberty Station San Diego. My 2 kids, my wife and I had a GREAT TIME. It started as soon as we walked thru the doors. The staff was friendly and super helpful. The Staff was amazing and so helpful and everyone I ran into at the hotel property always said “hello”. I wish I was able to remember everyone’s name that was helpful, but I did remember some names… Jason_B., Del, David, Becah, Stella, Candice, Keric, Angela and Gustavo. Nichole the breakfast chef and her entire morning staff plus Martin the evening Chef and his staff were gracious and delightful. Rick the General Manager and Kurt the Asst. General Manager, were always visible and always hard at work. Usually you never see managers because they are hiding in the back office but not them. They are super friendly to talk with and will do anything to make sure your stay is the best. For the last 25 years I have stayed on Shelter Island, but I have found my new favorite. We usually only visit San Diego once a year, but we will be going back sooner because of the great time we have a week ago. In fact I am afraid to give such a good review because when I go to book my next stay, they might tell me that, they are all booked up. This hotel is outstanding, the room, the free parking, the free breakfasts, the Monday and Tuesday dinner at 5:30pm, they even provide beer and wine. It is so nice to save money on food when on a vacation, I was very impressed with the food at this hotel. The kitchen in the rooms were so helpful for the kids to give them a quick warm snack. They are so many things to do at this hotel, they have a pool/hot tub and a basketball court and a pool table room. Coffee/tea/hot cocoa all the time in the lobby…which came in handy many times. The coffee tasted great!! All this things add up to a great time. All I have to say is “WOW ! Loved it ! Thank you. Homewood Suites and their Staff is the BEST!!!” Leonard S. and Family.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

2 Thank Leonard S
Hi Leonard,

It was great having you and your family here, thanks for staying with us. It's also impressive to hear we have won you over from the hotels on Shelter Island, there are some nice ones over there and it's also a beautiful area. I'm almost hesitant to say that so that we don't lose business to them but at the same time, I'm pretty confident in our ability to attract loyal guests like you. Anyways, thanks again we really did enjoy getting you know you and help make your trip to San Diego a memorable one and look forward to seeing you all again soon!

Sincerely and respectfully,