Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station
Ranked #9 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Twinsbur
“Fantastic Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My stay here was fantastic! I was here for a month and did not have any problems at all. I was worried about hearing the planes but I had no problem sleeping at all (I was facing the marriott).

The entire staff was very friendly. I never walked by without getting and warm smile and a hello. Martin was very helpful with my special diet during the manager's reception. The front desk staff was always helpful and friendly, they even gave me anti-biotic cream and ban-aides when I cut myself.

The hotel was very clean and the housekeepers were great!

As a previous employee of Hilton Brands (I worked front desk at a Hampton Inn during college) and Radisson Hotels I have a higher expectation of the service I receive while staying at hotels and the staff here blew me away. Before this trip I was commited to Hilton because of my previous work experience and your hotel showed me why your brand is the best.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ashbash529

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Very roomy for the family with 2 seperate rooms in the suite. Friendly staff, excellent breakfasts and loved the complimentary midweek dinners. Excellent laundry facilities. And very clean rooms. Heaps of meal options within walking distance.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris S
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Beautifuly located, large and convenient family rooms, very quiet, very nice breakfasts and evening receptions.
The hotel staff was also exceptionally friendly, helping out with directions and tips regarding the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The location of the hotel is such that all activities within San Diego are easily reached. The Hotel Services were awesome with an excellent selection of breakfast and dinner items. The suites are every bit the best rooms to relax in after long working days. The hotel personnel were the best that could be and always went out of their way to accomodate any needs. Although this stay was for business and over five weeks long, I would bring my family here for a stay anytime. This is my first choice for hotels whenever I go to San Diego which is fairly often.

Room Tip: If you can, request a room in the back overlooking the pool area and harbor inlet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kurt K
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We recently stayed at this location from October 3 - 10, 2012. I have stayed at a Homewood Suites in Ohio previously so wanted to try Homewood Suites again to see if I liked it as much the 2nd time. This was my husband's first stay in a Homewood Suite.
We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED everything about it. The staff (as are staff everywhere in US - unlike Canada) were amazing - particularly Stella. She went above and beyond when I had a minor issue with my key card. This hotel had everything you could possibly need - I didn't realize that they had laundry facilities until we arrived - next time I'll know to pack less. Your stay includes a full breakfast every day - you pick from a large number of foods - and a full supper Mon - Thurs. I thought that the supper "meal" was only appys - boy was I mistaken. What a cost savings when 2 of your 3 meals are provided for you. I could go on and on. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel chain. I think I am forever spoiled for anything else!! The view from our room was amazing and the grounds were so well kept and beautiful. To be honest neither of us wanted to leave when our stay was up - who says that about a hotel?? I would totally recommend Homewood Suites - especially if you are travelling with family - which we were not - but if we were it would be the best place for kids. All the rooms have a full kitchen (less oven) so you can make your own meals if you would like to. There are 2 fantastic grocery stores within walking distance if you don't have a vehicle - close to the airport and downtown and everything so handy.

Room Tip: If you can afford it - ask for the Bayview and one of the higher floors (3rd of 4th). It's well...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Basia2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at this location from Oct 3rd to Oct 8th. We had breakfast there every day and 1 evening dinner the day we arrived-both were good. The location is ideal. We had a rental car and it took us at most 15-20 mins to get to most places we visited. Plenty of free parking. Suite was nice and clean. We had issues with our key cards for the 1st 2 days we were there. Of the 3 cards, we had 2 working and then it went down to 1. They would work for all common areas but not our room. We went back and forth to the front desk staff who kept re-issuing us cards to try (must’ve tried about 10-12 cards) which continued to be non-functional. Front desk staff was friendly and accommodating however did not escalate the issue until the evening of our 2nd night. On the morning of the 3rd day, Henry (forgot his last name) from maintenance came to the rescue! It only took him about an hr to figure out the problem and we finally had 3 working cards! He left us a nice personalized note saying thanks for being patient and if there was anything else to let them know. All in all, our stay was great and we’ve decided we will stay here again the next time we go back to San Diego.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

stayed there recently on a weekday night. first of all, the staff at check in was very friendly, had a little bag of things, i think it was water and some snack ready for me. so it was a nice touch.
now comes the not so great part
1. the bed sheet was so old, it didn't feel smooth at all, and it made me ich. at first i thought it was a dirty bed, after examining it carefully, it was the old sheet. i don't remember when was the last time i stayed at a hotel with such old sheet, maybe in a motel some many years ago. I ended up taking out some spare sheet from the closet (since it was past mid night) and it was newer.
2. the breakfast was really underwhelming, i couldn't find anything to eat. Not even the coffee as they didn't even have decaf there, ( i think they normally have it since i see this big gap between the pots, but they certainly didn't replenish while i was there)
3. No recognition of gold status. There was not recognition of Hilton gold there, no upgrade, no nothing. not sure if the bag of water and a packaged cookie at check in was meant to be it, but i sure didn't see any other benefit.
4. the room configuration. the way the room was laid out, it was very awkward. felt like the bed was enclosed in a small space without any windows. the room itself was big, and it was decorated okay. but then it seemed like they carved out this space at the corner of the room to put in the bed, and there is no window in that space. I really don't know how to describe it. You will have to see it to understand. this may not be an issue with folks, but i just felt a little awkward sleeping there.

Maybe i am spoiled as a Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, maybe that's just the way it is at Homewood suites. This was my first stay at a Homewood suites, But i checked out and went to courtyard San Diego central the next day and it was a much more enjoyable experience. I am quite surprised that this one is ranked as #2 on tripadvisor. Maybe it was just a bad experience for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Derek K, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the condition of your guest suite. We will take your comments about this and our dining and service issues under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Best Regards,