“Homewood Suites Forever!!!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station
Ranked #10 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We recently stayed at this location from October 3 - 10, 2012. I have stayed at a Homewood Suites in Ohio previously so wanted to try Homewood Suites again to see if I liked it as much the 2nd time. This was my husband's first stay in a Homewood Suite.
We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED everything about it. The staff (as are staff everywhere in US - unlike Canada) were amazing - particularly Stella. She went above and beyond when I had a minor issue with my key card. This hotel had everything you could possibly need - I didn't realize that they had laundry facilities until we arrived - next time I'll know to pack less. Your stay includes a full breakfast every day - you pick from a large number of foods - and a full supper Mon - Thurs. I thought that the supper "meal" was only appys - boy was I mistaken. What a cost savings when 2 of your 3 meals are provided for you. I could go on and on. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel chain. I think I am forever spoiled for anything else!! The view from our room was amazing and the grounds were so well kept and beautiful. To be honest neither of us wanted to leave when our stay was up - who says that about a hotel?? I would totally recommend Homewood Suites - especially if you are travelling with family - which we were not - but if we were it would be the best place for kids. All the rooms have a full kitchen (less oven) so you can make your own meals if you would like to. There are 2 fantastic grocery stores within walking distance if you don't have a vehicle - close to the airport and downtown and everything so handy.

Room Tip: If you can afford it - ask for the Bayview and one of the higher floors (3rd of 4th). It's well...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Basia2012
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at this location from Oct 3rd to Oct 8th. We had breakfast there every day and 1 evening dinner the day we arrived-both were good. The location is ideal. We had a rental car and it took us at most 15-20 mins to get to most places we visited. Plenty of free parking. Suite was nice and clean. We had issues with our key cards for the 1st 2 days we were there. Of the 3 cards, we had 2 working and then it went down to 1. They would work for all common areas but not our room. We went back and forth to the front desk staff who kept re-issuing us cards to try (must’ve tried about 10-12 cards) which continued to be non-functional. Front desk staff was friendly and accommodating however did not escalate the issue until the evening of our 2nd night. On the morning of the 3rd day, Henry (forgot his last name) from maintenance came to the rescue! It only took him about an hr to figure out the problem and we finally had 3 working cards! He left us a nice personalized note saying thanks for being patient and if there was anything else to let them know. All in all, our stay was great and we’ve decided we will stay here again the next time we go back to San Diego.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

stayed there recently on a weekday night. first of all, the staff at check in was very friendly, had a little bag of things, i think it was water and some snack ready for me. so it was a nice touch.
now comes the not so great part
1. the bed sheet was so old, it didn't feel smooth at all, and it made me ich. at first i thought it was a dirty bed, after examining it carefully, it was the old sheet. i don't remember when was the last time i stayed at a hotel with such old sheet, maybe in a motel some many years ago. I ended up taking out some spare sheet from the closet (since it was past mid night) and it was newer.
2. the breakfast was really underwhelming, i couldn't find anything to eat. Not even the coffee as they didn't even have decaf there, ( i think they normally have it since i see this big gap between the pots, but they certainly didn't replenish while i was there)
3. No recognition of gold status. There was not recognition of Hilton gold there, no upgrade, no nothing. not sure if the bag of water and a packaged cookie at check in was meant to be it, but i sure didn't see any other benefit.
4. the room configuration. the way the room was laid out, it was very awkward. felt like the bed was enclosed in a small space without any windows. the room itself was big, and it was decorated okay. but then it seemed like they carved out this space at the corner of the room to put in the bed, and there is no window in that space. I really don't know how to describe it. You will have to see it to understand. this may not be an issue with folks, but i just felt a little awkward sleeping there.

Maybe i am spoiled as a Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, maybe that's just the way it is at Homewood suites. This was my first stay at a Homewood suites, But i checked out and went to courtyard San Diego central the next day and it was a much more enjoyable experience. I am quite surprised that this one is ranked as #2 on tripadvisor. Maybe it was just a bad experience for me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Derek K, Front Desk Supervisor at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the condition of your guest suite. We will take your comments about this and our dining and service issues under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Best Regards,
Derek Klompien

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I really liked the hotel. Desk clerk was friendly and professional. Although the shuttle bus wasn't running, the hotel reimbursed my taxi fees. My room was perfect (quiet, clean, useable). Breakfast was awesome - lots of choices. My only complaint is that the fitness center is not on the first floor so it does not open until 6 a.m. As a business traveler, I don't have the freedom to exercise after 6 and still get ready for the day. If the hotel is going to advertise a fitness center and there are such restrictions, please post that information. Otherwise, excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I chose this hotel for our vacation based on the reviews I read here, and this ended up being perfect for us (DH, me, and our 2 year old son). The location was perfect--we could go just about anywhere we wanted to go in 20 minutes (La Jolla, Zoo, Coronado) and the neighborhood was nice and quiet. We took several walks along the water and felt safe the entire time.

What blew me away, though, were all of the complimentary little touches--breakfast every day, dinner available almost every night, free parking (!), free wifi--things that many other hotels charge for. They served beer and wine with dinner, and I loved how they included a different local microbrew every week (the week we stayed they featured Stone Levitation).

We were upgraded at no charge from a studio to a 2 bedroom suite, which was quite roomy. Since we were there in October (low season), my guess is that the hotel was only about a quarter full. We were put in one of the "dreaded" corner rooms (166), and didn't have any problems with it--we just had to keep the blinds closed as to not put on a show for passers-by. The extra space was great.

The grounds are lovely and include multiple outdoor fireplaces and nice landscaping.

There were only two things that I didn't love, but they were relatively minor: we could occasionally hear our upstairs neighbor stomping around, and on occasion the tv channels were scrambled, presumably from the satellite tv reception. Neither was a huge deal.

I highly recommend this for families. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms if you like privacy.
1  Thank alligeek
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

1st time at this Hilton brand and really enjoyed it for leisure stay. Liberty Park / station is where this property sits beside HARBOR drive ON the water. Terrific. Walking just steps from hotel within this BIG relaxed "oasis" are shops and a nice mix of food offerings - Starbucks and Coast style living to enjoy.

The hotel is a beautiful Hacienda style that opens beyond large relaxed lobby to verandas with great views that offer stone fireplaces and garden setting. Harborview waterside hot tub and pool with palms and quiet walks lead nicely to all this in town "out of town" hotel
Rooms are like NEW squeaky clean as is property. Really enjoyed this. AND a Comp breakfast AND dinner!

HINT-AIRPORT CLOSE...facing harbor AVOIDS any jet noise. Amazingly quiet. And room balcony views seaward are to die for...bring your pleasure and you can soak it up San Diego Style!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed for 29 days in September and considering the amount of time I was there, it was the absolute best hotel stay I've had. The hotel is close to shopping, the airport, downtown and has great views. The rooms were clean every day, the meals from Monday thru Thursday were well planned and they never ran out of anything. The staff was extremely helpful and seeemd happy to accomodate every request. There were no maintenance problems, parking problems or security problems. The Sales Manager, Laura Krueger, was the kindest person and always stopped by during meals to ask about my stay and offer any assistance. I defanitely recommend this hotel if you're visiting San Diego.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and the water were quiet and offered great views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business