First off their website does not portray this place accurately. The website shows nice blue trendy rooms. What we received looked like a updated Super 8.
When we checked in, which was after the check in time, the front desk employee made a comment under her breath about our room not being ready. She made some calls and we were handed a key and sent on our way. No explanation of anything or "Have a nice stay." When we found our room after waiting at the elevator for 10 minutes we realized it wasn't the room we reserved. It looked like an upgrade to a suite as it was much larger, but that was the only thing it had going for it.
The room was large, but the furniture was mismatched and old looking. The mini fridge under the counter didn't work. All it did was flicker its light and it didn't cool at all. The sink in the "kitchenette" wobbled as it wasn't installed properly. The TV was actually a flat screen but it was way too small for the large room. The room was painted a nasty yellow color with gross green carpet. Nothing like the cool blue rooms on the website. There were numbers written on the wall that looked like they tried to scrub off, but didn't care enough to repaint.
The bathroom looked like it was remodeled by a child. The tile floor was uneven, the toilet was tightened down so it also wobbled. The sink vanity was crooked on the wall and none of it lined up with the mirror or light. The tilling around the tub was a hack job and the shower was so badly installed that they had to the fill the large cracks between the wall and the surround with caulking.
The bed was comfortable but the sheets weren't fitted. They just took one sheet and laid it across the bed. None of the towels matched. Some looked like old used pool towels because they had a blue tint to them. I could have sworn the website mentioned a pool when I reserved but none was found.
When we checked in we received tokens for free breakfast during our stay. This was nice since there aren't many breakfast restaurants around. We ate there three days and the food got perpetually better. This isn't much of an accomplishment considering how it started, The first day we ate at 9 and all the food was cold like it had been sitting out all morning. The next day my eggs were at least warm and by the third day it was all warm. The waitress that helped us two of the days was actually very good and friendly. If it hadn't been free I would have complained.
The valet prices were a little high but I didn't mind the 14 dollars a day because the parking situation in Little Italy wasn't very good. The valets were some of the best employees at the place so I didn't mind too much.
The location is good if you like Italian food. Which we do. The proximity to Little Italy was great. It was just a one block walk to dinner every night and the local cafe. Mimmos and Filippi's were wonderful restaurants. The location close to the harbor, zoo, and Sea World were also pluses as those were the main attractions we wanted to see.
The main thing they need to work on is their customer service. They had a couple excellent employees but overall the rest of the place needs some help. The website also needs to be truthfully updated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in the heart of Little Italy, only four blocks from San Diego harbor, the Porto Vista Hotel offers a breezy gateway to everything the city has to offer. Whatever you'd like to do, see, taste, or try is only minutes from this hotel on the edge of Downtown San Diego.The quaint bistros, shops and art galleries of Little Italy are right outside our doors. A two-minute cab or trolley ride gets you to Petco Park and the vibrant Gaslamp nightlife district, Old Town San Diego, the museums of Balboa Park, and Qualcomm Stadium. As a truly unique choice among affordable hotels in San Diego the Porto Vista features impeccable service in a dynamic central location. Shuttle service is provided to nearby locations including Airport, Cruise Terminal, Convention Center, Amtrak, Gaslamp Quarter/Horton Plaza. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Porto Vista Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ascend Collection San Diego
- San Diego Ascend Collection
- San Diego Clarion