“Very decieving website” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #114 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Mill Creek, WA
“Very decieving website”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

First off their website does not portray this place accurately. The website shows nice blue trendy rooms. What we received looked like a updated Super 8.

When we checked in, which was after the check in time, the front desk employee made a comment under her breath about our room not being ready. She made some calls and we were handed a key and sent on our way. No explanation of anything or "Have a nice stay." When we found our room after waiting at the elevator for 10 minutes we realized it wasn't the room we reserved. It looked like an upgrade to a suite as it was much larger, but that was the only thing it had going for it.

The room was large, but the furniture was mismatched and old looking. The mini fridge under the counter didn't work. All it did was flicker its light and it didn't cool at all. The sink in the "kitchenette" wobbled as it wasn't installed properly. The TV was actually a flat screen but it was way too small for the large room. The room was painted a nasty yellow color with gross green carpet. Nothing like the cool blue rooms on the website. There were numbers written on the wall that looked like they tried to scrub off, but didn't care enough to repaint.

The bathroom looked like it was remodeled by a child. The tile floor was uneven, the toilet was tightened down so it also wobbled. The sink vanity was crooked on the wall and none of it lined up with the mirror or light. The tilling around the tub was a hack job and the shower was so badly installed that they had to the fill the large cracks between the wall and the surround with caulking.

The bed was comfortable but the sheets weren't fitted. They just took one sheet and laid it across the bed. None of the towels matched. Some looked like old used pool towels because they had a blue tint to them. I could have sworn the website mentioned a pool when I reserved but none was found.

When we checked in we received tokens for free breakfast during our stay. This was nice since there aren't many breakfast restaurants around. We ate there three days and the food got perpetually better. This isn't much of an accomplishment considering how it started, The first day we ate at 9 and all the food was cold like it had been sitting out all morning. The next day my eggs were at least warm and by the third day it was all warm. The waitress that helped us two of the days was actually very good and friendly. If it hadn't been free I would have complained.

The valet prices were a little high but I didn't mind the 14 dollars a day because the parking situation in Little Italy wasn't very good. The valets were some of the best employees at the place so I didn't mind too much.

The location is good if you like Italian food. Which we do. The proximity to Little Italy was great. It was just a one block walk to dinner every night and the local cafe. Mimmos and Filippi's were wonderful restaurants. The location close to the harbor, zoo, and Sea World were also pluses as those were the main attractions we wanted to see.

The main thing they need to work on is their customer service. They had a couple excellent employees but overall the rest of the place needs some help. The website also needs to be truthfully updated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asrath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We enjoyed our stay and had none of the problems others listed. Reserved a deluxe double queen room. Room was nicely appointed and the beds were very comfortable. I think I slept better than I have ever slept in a hotel but we had also been sailing all day. We were on the top floor (5). No view but we were just staying one night and were spending time at the hotel for sleep only. The hallways to the rooms are open air and there is a roof top deck on the 5th floor for events. So I guess if a wedding reception took place there, it could be very noisy. A block away is Little Italy so we wandered there for both dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sayville, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

I booked this hotel for 2 nights at the end of August, with Expedia. I prepaid for the room and had the confirmation number with me. Even so, when we arrived at the hotel, they had no record of our reservation and made us wait quite a while in the lobby. The next day when we came back to the hotel after our day out, we were locked out of our room and had to wait again in the lobby while the clerk again called Expedia to confirm that we were booked for 2 nights.
The first night we stayed was a Saturday and there were several noisy, drunk guests making noise and keeping us up until almost 5:00 AM! There was even one girl crying directly outside my room. There seemed to be no security or employees keeping an eye on these unruly, rude guests. The fact that the bar is directly outside of everyone's rooms, does not help matters.
After we had checked out and driven a few hours, I realized I had left my cellphone charger in the wall outlet. I called that same day and was told that the desk clerks had no access to the lost and found and could not tell me anything else, even though I told them what room it was and exactly which outlet I had left it in. I called every day for the next week and was told that someone would call me back. It's been a week now and no one has called me back.
The only good thing about this hotel was the complementary breakfast and the servers in the restaurant.

1 Thank jankow5

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

stayed here while seeing the zoo and seaworld. free shuttles to both! complimentary breakfast was beyond what i expected. try the french toast! i had it every morning and cant stop thinking about it.
quick walk to little Italy, great food down there
good view from restaurant of the water.
rooms a bit small, but we were out most of the day so just came home to crash therefore got the job done.
good coffee in room and amazing in the restaurant.
popular night club upstairs, so just dont get one of the top floors (as far as the reviews for noise complaints). we stayed on the 2nd and didnt hear a thing
safe neighborhood too as far as i could tell. we walked every night to little italy and never felt uncomfortable.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

Since we were in town for a wedding without the kids, I decided to live a little on the edge and book a night at the PV. The website is a lot swankier than the actual property but I still enjoyed our room, the restaurant, and the views of the Little Italy and the bay.

We got a great rate booking directly with the hotel and free breakfast, which was excellent! Afterwards we checked out the Little Italy Mercato/Farmer's Market just a few blocks down the street. It's a foodie haven to die for - Saturdays 9-3pm.

There's also free morning yoga available on certain days and a rooftop bar that shuts down at midnight. We did happen to hear people making a raucus as we were trying to go to sleep but it seems they were just making their way to their rooms or something because it didn't last very long. Other than that we were able to sleep pretty soundly in the super comfy bed, which is the most important part of the hotel stay for me.

For a little over $130, tax and parking included, it was the perfect experience and we'd totally stay here again.

Lancaster OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

The Porto Vista Hotel is located in the 'Little Italy' section of San Diego, a quaint shopping and dining district. From an aerial view, the hotel is shaped like an open, square box with a separation wall down the middle, thus having two 'atriums' separated and surrounded by rooms on all sides.
The lobby is attractive and the desk personnel were professional, personable and, to the extent allowed by the hotel's problems, very helpful.
Two elevators are available - one extremely slow and noisy (doors needed lubricated), and the other remote and available only after climbing a flight of stairs (odd?).
The hotel offered NO swimming pool, NO hottub, NO refrigerator, NO microwave, NOT even a pen or pad of paper. They took out the pool some time ago and replaced it with a meeting room that remained completely empty during our stay (no tables, no chairs, no anything).
The hallways were covered with disgustingly stained carpet (except for the 5th floor concrete hallways) and lined with air conditioning units jutting out into the small hallway about 12 inches and many of these were rusting and in need of paint.
The two 'atriums' did NOT overlook attractively landscaped courtyards but badly stained concrete parking areas. Parking was by valet only at a cost of $14 a day unless you wished to park on the busy street with various parking limitations.
The Porto Vista is about 3 miles from the renowned San Diego Zoo and the primary reason we stayed here.
There is a small rooftop viewing area that allows a nice view of the surroundings as well as the incoming and outgoing airport flights which fly overhead nearby.
The beds are comfortable but squeaky, awakening sleepers in the room. The hutch and armoire dominate the small room, standing six feet tall and offering very little horizontal space and they dwarf the 21" TV. The bathroom was adequate but the ceiling was peeling and rusty in places. Upon arrival, there was a large pool of water on the sink, perhaps from a leaking faucet, and the toilet required that the handle be held down until the full flushing process was complete. Lamps had switches on cords hanging behind furniture (difficult to see or use). The rooms were austere, completely lacking decoration other than the tasteless black-and-white whole wall depiction of a movie star. The room air-conditioner was effective and moderately quiet.
Every footstep of the tenant above our room was heard. Cars honked their horns in the 'atrium' outside our door and the blasts echoed and reverberated loudly.
Other than the small rooftop viewing area, the remainder of the rooftop was adorned with an open area lined with attractive seating, but all of this was behind a large padlocked gate unavailable to guests except at times undetermined and unmarked (no signs explaining when it was open).
The 'Glass Door', the hotel bar overlooking "Little Italy" appeared to be nice and the happy hour and dinner menus were adequate.
There was NO complimentary breakfast of any sort. I was informed that because I had phoned the hotel directly and made my own reservation, I did NOT 'qualify' for any such consideration. Huh?
However, this was conveyed very politely and with an apology (what the management puts their staff through amazes me). Again, the staff were always gracious, what what they have to work with is appalling. Imagine in this day and age, a lodging establishment in a major city with NO pool, NO hottub, No refrigerator, NO microwave, NO complimentary breakfast. Other negatives were the seedy-looking hallways and atriums and bland rooms.
We have stayed at hundreds of hotels include the Porto Vista as one of the BOTTOM TWO hotels we've experienced. The ONLY reasons this hotel rates even the one-star is because of location and a great staff.
We overheard comments of other guests, especially on the elevator, saying that they felt 'trapped in this dump', because if they left, the 24-hour cancellation policy would require the loss of one night's room cost. We inderstood.
In final review, other than the excellent staff and good location, this hotel is of VERY POOR quality and we would NEVER stay here again. Thank you for allowing me to offer these observations.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris A
La Habra, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

•When booking the hotel I was told the hotel had a pool. When arriving, no pool could be found.
•When arriving they had a $14 fee for parking. I was not informed of this fee by internet advertisement, email of confirmation or when calling in to make the reservations
•While staying in the room our small TV only got 3 channels and not suitable for children to watch.
•The room had not bath tub, which I had asked if they had when making the reservations. But instead a shower, which did not drain at all!!! I called down to the front desk that night to inform them. They said they would call me back and I never got a call back. So water was everywhere when all 5 of us to showers!

Bottom line, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family