“Worst” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #110 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Yakima, Washington
“Worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

It is so hard to park anywhere. We chose valet but it still took forever. Which wasn't their fault. They were very fast once they got to you. It is downtown but I wish we had picked another hotel. The staff was nice. The room was dirty and the outdoor hallways to get to your room were kind of sketchy looking. The restaurant was very nice. The whole staff was awesome and the food was some of the best I've had. By the time we went to bed I slept for a couple hours but they have a very badly placed "lounge" right in the middle of all of the rooms and I could hear people running and screaming and yelling and laughing for three hours. Not to mention the guests upstairs were it seemed like moving furniture or physically fighting the whole night. Such a bad experience.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Mari T
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I will speak with Housekeeping about the cleanliness of your room. I do apologize for the noise and have Security on property to handle these situations. Did you call down to the front desk to let us know what was occurring? I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would love to change your opinion of our hotel. If you would like to stay again, please call and I will make sure your next stay is more enjoyable.

Director of Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Porto Vista Hotel is located in "Little Italy" in downtown San Diego. It is a short walking distance to the main street of "Little Italy" where you will find lots of fun Italian restaurants and local color. We happened to stay when there was a festival going on which was lots of fun. They had an amazing artist chalk contest with over 60 artist participating.

The hotel is an old apartment building turned into a hotel. The rooms are small but well designed. They are very affordable and offer a great breakfast in their restaurant on the 4th floor. You will be near the airport and walking distance to the Gas Lamp district where you will find great night life. You will also be within walking distance of the waterfront with lots of day activities (boat rides, bikes, visitor center).

Have fun and enjoy the beautiful weather that San Diego offers!

Room Tip: They offer valet parking for $22 a day with in and out privileges. The street parking around the ho...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mychelle F
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am so pleased you were happy with our location in Little Italy and the incredible Festa that was held here last week. I am also glad you enjoyed the breakfast and rooms. Thank you for the great review!!

We try very hard to give our guests both great service and a wonderful place to stay and visit San Diego. We hope to see you again in the future.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a very positive experience at Porto Vista Hotel. Price was great for the area. Lobby is decent, customer service is good. It is walkable to the convention center but it is a long walk. If I go to San Diego again I would definitely consider staying with Porto Vista

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jessestond
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location, price, and our great service. Thank you for the wonderful review!!

Fountain Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Quick Review: While there isn't anything awful about Porto, please note that it is a MOTEL. Your front door opens right onto the balcony over looking the parking garage. It is a thin wall between you and the world and the room layout is identical to most motels. Only the lobby and front facade looks like the picture.

Pros: If you can get it for $100/night, then you've paid a good price to be in the heart of Little Italy and walking distance to many things.

Cons: Bait & switch photography, thin layer of privacy, room over the garage can be noisy

Review:
Porto Vista is very posh on the outside and in the lobby, but inside it is just a plain, relatively clean motel. Minimal, if any upgrades inside are noticeable. If you're laying in bed, you can hear, quite clearly, anyone that walks past your front door. You can also hear the echos from the garage below.

My only issue with Porto is that they present one image and the reality is another. Were it not for the moderate expectations they set before I arrived, I would've been happier with my check in. Of course, the parking garage is valet only and depending on how you booked, it is included or it is $18 (I believe). This is typical for downtown SD so we can't fault them really.

Overall, I would stay here again but for no more than $125/night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Expedia. We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. We have recently added new photos of our renovated rooms to our website. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location and our lovely staff.

Garland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have stayed at the Porto Vista over the past 5 years, Just as always, I was very happy with the accommodations and the people. My room was spacious and comfortable, and the free wi-fi is a real bonus. The location is good, right in little Italy, and a short walk to the waterfront. They have a shuttle for a low price which took me to the event I was attending at a hotel charging over twice as much, The Glass Door restaurant and bar is very nice, with good food and a great view. I travel a lot, and have stayed at many places that charge more and give less. I would recommend this place to anyone. The towel service could be better, and the shower is low flow (as are most), but overall, Porto Vista is excellent in my view, and I will stay there again when in San Diego. It is also extremely convenient to the airport.

Room Tip: I was down a very quiet hallway on the 2nd floor. Higher up and east, you may get some airplane nois...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Don N
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and have come back to visit so many times. I am glad you enjoyed the location, rooms and the Glass Door restaurant. It really does have one of the best views in San Diego. Thank you for your wonderful review!!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The Friday and Saturday nights were very noisy due to people coming back to the hotel after being out partying. The Sunday night was fine with very little noise so plan your stay to be on a week night if possible.
There is only valet parking at $22 a day, and there is very little street parking so you are stuck with this options. The valets are very efficient though at bringing you car out for you though.
The lobby looks very posh, but the rooms are a little dated in comparison, but very clean and comfortable.
The lift can be slow, so use the stairs to come and go and save yourselves a few minutes.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, close to get down town and also onto/off the freeway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive and constructive feedback. We are in the process of updating our rooms, amenities, and public spaces this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. I do apologize for the noise, I will speak with Security about keeping the weekend nights a little quieter. I am pleased you enjoyed our beautiful location.

Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here on 9/5/13. The outside of the hotel looks nice but once you go inside, brave yourself... it looks like you're in the projects!

This looks more like an old motel (very old). They advertised "free parking" but the only free parking you'll find is on the street and depends on the times. Otherwise you have to pay $20 for valet parking.

The rooms are extremely small. The prison is only a few blocks down. I did not feel comfortable walking around the area at night.

Check-out time is at 11:00am but housekeeping was knocking on our door at 9:00am.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Donna K, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the constructive feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have begun a major renovation on our rooms this year which is scheduled to be completed in December 2013. Our valet parking rate is the lowest in this area. We are nowhere near a prison and this area is in a very safe neighborhood.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels