Quick Review: While there isn't anything awful about Porto, please note that it is a MOTEL. Your front door opens right onto the balcony over looking the parking garage. It is a thin wall between you and the world and the room layout is identical to most motels. Only the lobby and front facade looks like the picture.
Pros: If you can get it for $100/night, then you've paid a good price to be in the heart of Little Italy and walking distance to many things.
Cons: Bait & switch photography, thin layer of privacy, room over the garage can be noisy
Porto Vista is very posh on the outside and in the lobby, but inside it is just a plain, relatively clean motel. Minimal, if any upgrades inside are noticeable. If you're laying in bed, you can hear, quite clearly, anyone that walks past your front door. You can also hear the echos from the garage below.
My only issue with Porto is that they present one image and the reality is another. Were it not for the moderate expectations they set before I arrived, I would've been happier with my check in. Of course, the parking garage is valet only and depending on how you booked, it is included or it is $18 (I believe). This is typical for downtown SD so we can't fault them really.
Overall, I would stay here again but for no more than $125/night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in the heart of Little Italy, only four blocks from San Diego harbor, the Porto Vista Hotel offers a breezy gateway to everything the city has to offer. Whatever you'd like to do, see, taste, or try is only minutes from this hotel on the edge of Downtown San Diego.The quaint bistros, shops and art galleries of Little Italy are right outside our doors. A two-minute cab or trolley ride gets you to Petco Park and the vibrant Gaslamp nightlife district, Old Town San Diego, the museums of Balboa Park, and Qualcomm Stadium. As a truly unique choice among affordable hotels in San Diego the Porto Vista features impeccable service in a dynamic central location. Shuttle service is provided to nearby locations including Airport, Cruise Terminal, Convention Center, Amtrak, Gaslamp Quarter/Horton Plaza. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your Porto Vista Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ascend Collection San Diego
- San Diego Ascend Collection
- San Diego Clarion