“Great Location, Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Porto Vista Hotel

Porto Vista Hotel
Ranked #114 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great value for the location. The triple A discount was significant and the staff was friendly and helpful. Valet parking was a breeze and Jose A. always greeted me with a smile and quick service.

My critiques are trivial - the signage is lacking (where is the gym? the stairs?), the rooms lack any sort of small touch (no city guide, no pens/notepad, no hotel brochure, no anything!) but I would easily forsake those small amenities for being in the heart of Little Italy at a discount.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JLabsan, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. We are starting a major renovation on our rooms this year to be completed by December 2013. We are also creating a book for our rooms that will containg information on the area and on the hotel. I will make sure to pass on your comments to Jose and the valet staff. He is amazing at his job and a true asset to the hotel.

We try very hard to give our guests both great service and a wonderful place to stay and visit San Diego. We hope to see you again in the future.

Director of Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Long Beach, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Not fancy, but Porto Vista provided a great blank slate for a fun overnight getaway. We started upstairs for happy hour and sat outside to enjoy the great view of the harbor. Next we walked down to the water for the sunset (Anthony's) and decided to visit the Midway the next day. Dinner was back in Little Italy at Prepkitchen. Go there! Menu breakfast at the hotel was tasty and the coffee was good.

1 Thank Michelle M
JLabsan, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I will make sure the restaurant knows of your wonderful comments on the food and the view. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Montebello, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Clean, upgraded motel, good location, nice view, presentable, smells good, well kept, great reception and guest relations, wifi fair, small enough for not too much noise
Cons:
Breakfast not so good, elevator only one and slow, wouldn't valet out truck but house their 12 passenger van had to look for street parking, our fiends said restaurant sucks with too salty food, not family friendly since no rooms adjoined and you have underage children, what else. Wouldn't return
Yes this place isn't the four seasons nor the ritz. You get what you pay for

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JLabsan, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed both the rooms and the service provided. We are family frienly as we do have suites that can take up to 4 people as they have both a bed and a pull-out sofa.

I am very sorry that you did not care for the food in the Glass Door as we usually get very high reviews of it. I would love to change your opinion of the hotel. If you decide to come to Porto Vista again, please call me directly and I will make sure that your next stay is enjoyable.

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Porto Vista is perfectly situated next to Little Italy. I'm a San Diego native but live out of town now, and I've always wondered what it would be like to live near Little Italy. Well, I loved being able to walk down to India street in the mornings and evenings for coffee or a nice meal. Plus I loved simply getting out of bed, walking down to the waterfront and going for a run.

The hotel itself is nice enough, but it does feel a bit like an upgraded motel. It was just right for our purposes--my husband and I only stayed for 2 nights. If we were to stay longer I probably would have booked a larger room. The staff was really great. A valet named Jose A. was very helpful when we checked out and got our car right away. All of the front desk staff were also very polite, friendly and happy to answer any of our questions. Great stay, I'd come here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
JLabsan, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I will make sure that Jose knows that you appreciated his quick service. The Front Desk staff will also appreciate your wonderful comments on their service and attentiveness.

Sylmar, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

This little spot is great for an overnight or weekend stay in Little Italy. Close to tasty restaurants and small shops, but not much else. The service was great with attentive staff and smiling faces. I would definitely stop in again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Anthony D
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the positive feedback. I am so glad you enjoyed our staff, they work very hard and are considerate of our guests requests.

Whittier, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I purchased the Business King Groupon as a gift for my boyfriend. It was $100, and they gave us an upgrade to a balcony room when we checked in. The bed was comfy, the room was clean, and the bathroom was spacious. I like how close the hotel is to Little Italy. They charge $22/day for valet. I'd be happier if they lowered it a bit. The valet guys were friendly and helpful. I paid $100 for the room and was given a 350-ft Deluxe King room. If I had stayed in the smaller room I originally booked, the value would not have been great. This hotel does not have a pool or jacuzzi, which is normally a big part of the experience. My boyfriend's only complaint is that we weren't offered more towels. His review: "Pretty pretty good." I don't think we'll return, but it was good.

Room Tip: We were in room 501. I wouldn't choose a smaller room, and I wouldn't pay more than $100 for...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MissMoniqueGarcia

We try very hard to give our guests both great service and a wonderful place to stay and visit San Diego. If you would like to stay here again, please call me directly and I will make sure your stay is more enjoyable.

We hope to see you again in the future.

San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Yes, Porto Vista Hotel is in a great location but the hotel goes nowhere near what it promises. The title of 'boutique' hotel is completely inaccurate with no contemporary design or Italian style in sight (don't believe the photography it's all staged) and a no glass in room policy with styrofoam cups wrapped in plastic on offer, and I thought styrofoam was banned years ago for polluting the planet. The other question is, why can't they trust their own guests with glass? The room itself was clean so hats off to the hard working housekeeping department. The management team is another matter. When I tried to use my mastercard travel card at check in it was refused with no clear reason given (even though it was excepted when I first booked over the phone, funny that). I gave my other credit card as a holding card while they called mastercard to verify. However I later found out they didn't bother doing that and charged my visa before I even checked out - nice! I won't be staying again and recommend that anyone thinking about it should look at other options. The area is great, the hotel is not.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HDokulil
JLabsan, Manager at Porto Vista Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Hotels.com. We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. I will let Housekeeping know that you appreciate the great job they did on your room. We are starting a major renovation on our rooms this year to be completed by December 2013. We have removed some of the pictures in the rooms that you see on the website due to comments from reviewers like yourself.

As far as the charge, we do authorize your card for your rate plus incidental charges at checkin as do all hotels. If you do not spend that amount, the authorization will drop off your card in 3-5 business days.

I would love to change your view of our hotel. If you would like to stay again, please call me directly and I will make sure your next stay is enjoyable.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels