“Good food with OK service”
Review of Royal India

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th avenue
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This Indian restaurant is in the Gaslamp quarters; draws big crowd. The food was decent. The service is just OK; may be because of the full house. The decor is not great. With more options of nearby Indian restautants, I did not go back.

1  Thank Espi52

Reviewed November 20, 2013

A very upbeat Indian retsaurant with great food, it is a little expensive and has a trimmed down menu..but I would rescommend it to anyone who wants to have a fine Indian dining experience.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Located close to San Diego Convention Center, this place is in the heart of downtown. Location might be the only thing good about this restaurant.

We went there for lunch buffet, well that is what was advertised outside. I could hardly call it a buffet with just 3 entrees. The taste was horrible. I am not sure what type of clientele they get, most definitely not Indian. The food was missing the use of spices. All the entrees tasted bland. The also labelled their food wrong. Onion Pakoda was being called Samosa.

They did not have anything to drink at the buffet and for desert they had orange slices. This buffet was not even worth $8 and they charged me $15 per plate.

Worst experience ever. Will never recommend this place to anyone.

2  Thank 669ayushm
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We visited for the lunch buffet. The food variety was alright. I had to tell the waitress 3 times that the Tandoori chicken was finished, and until I left it was not out. The food was as expected and did not exceed my expectations though it was goof value for money given the area. I will try a different Indian restaurant though next time given the exceptional food in the area.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

After living down town awhile, Market St. has fast become my fave for businesses, shops and bars / restaurants. Had driven by RI numerous times and finally got to try it for dinner last month with my wife & her friend. We had the Nan & hummus plate, some excellent chicken & rice, and finally the "vegetable balls." All were well done & presented for an excellent light meal & reasonably priced meal for 3. Very subtle, sedate but vigilant service was provided also; with numerous requests for additional bread handled well.
Were able to sit outdoors and check everything happening on the street out; but next time I wouldn't mind interior dining in the lovely salon with winter coming up. Would also like to take my mom to the lunch buffet too where I can trial test the curries.
I'll be back.......

2  Thank DHIIPAK

Been to Royal India? Share your experiences!