“Average, very average”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th avenue
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Being from the UK originally I kinda know curries. My husband's favorite food is curry I have cooked curry for my husband for many, many years! So we were told this was "the best Indian food in San Diego" If that is the case, then the rest must be terrible. The food was OK, but not by a long stretch is it great. I had veggie samosa to start with and they tasted good, but no spice at all. My husband had onion barhgi, and they were just a lighter battered onion rings. Our friend has hummus and nan (since when has hummus been Indian?) My husband for the main course had chilli chicken curry and he said it was good. There is a warning on the menu that is really really hot - he said it was hot enough for him, it would have been too hot for me. I ordered the chicken tikka masala and asked for it to be mild to medium (I have found that some mediums that just too hot in some places). Well, I should have ordered medium because I swear there was absolutely no spice at all in the mild. I would be very surprised if the chicken had been cooked in a tandoor - they were perfect little cubes and certainly had not been skewered - the meal was so bland, so very very bland. The garlic naan was acceptable but not really very garlicy. Overall a pleasant meal because of the company but I would certainly not go back or recommend it. Our other friends with us were from Arizona and NY and they said their meals were good so maybe their expectations were not as high as mine, but to me it was not a curry.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I visited Royal India yesterday for lunch. The food was very good, and I would consider returning.The lunchtime buffet gave me an opportunity to taste many of their dishes and all of them were savory and delicious. I particularly enjoyed the Chicken Tika Masala.

I give the restaurant kudos for having white tablecloths (instead of bare tables), however, while the cloth was clean, there were many holes in it--lead me to believe that the person who set the table was not attentive (would they really place a bad tablecloth on the table on purpose?)

I have to say that I was surprised by the unkempt and unclean restroom (during the first hour they opened which means that they did not clean the restroom at the end of the previous evening). It gave me pause for thought as to whether the kitchen is kept in the same state as the restroom.

1  Thank mrsbcross
Reviewed September 22, 2013

After a friend made the reservation for our dinner, I was pleasantly surprise with the choices and presentation of the food, need I say also the quality was great. All the people in our group was very please. A place that I will enjoy visiting again for sure. Also the staff was very good and helpful. Plus the prices were very reasonable.
Royal India a must visit when in San Diego downtown.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was there on Saturday night and they had music with an Indian instrument similar to a guitar....very relaxing music. The wait staff was very pleasant and the food was very tasty...especially the bread with coconut hot. Will return.
Grammy Sharon

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The food was good here, although more pricey than the home of Indian food, the UK. What was most irritating though was the determination of waiting staff to snatch away every plate and serving dish before we had finished. It didn't matter how many times we said we'd not finished, another person would pop up saying: "Let me take this out of your way." It was ridiculous, almost as if by rushing us out they could fit someone else in. Not a bad place to visit for a proper British curry but be firm about actually eating what you've bought.