“Nice but nothing there”

Ranked #177 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice but nothing there”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with large rooms and comfortable beds....BUT you are right next to the border. As in you can spit and hit the border! The area is very industrial with not a lot of restaurants. There is an area about 6 miles north that has tons of restaurants and shops. The breakfast was plentiful but the pancake maker machine was broken. We were really looking forward to the pancakes! TV, microwave and fridge in each room. Tried the fitness room with no complaints. Quiet area for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. The location of our property is perfect for anyone doing business down in the Otay Mesa area or anyone looking to head into Tijuana. We do, however, get a great deal of guests that will decide to take a 20 minute drive south of downtown to stay at our location since we can offer a more economical friendly rate. I do apologize about the breakfast. I hope that you will give us another chance to win you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed June 1, 2013

You know you are in a hotel where management is not in tune with the conditions of the facility when a) you find that the equipment in the fitness center is old and functioning poorly and the remote for the TV doesn't work and b) you have a problem with the toilet flushing in your bathroom and upon further investigation you find that the plunger in the tank is being held together by an old rusted paperclip. (Room 216 by the way). I had stayed at this place before and it seemed ok at the time, but it is clear that the place is starting to get run down, and there doesn't appear to be the sort of concerted effort you would expect at a HIE to address facility issues. It just sort of seemed like the place has been built entirely on the cheap. I'll look for another HIE next time I'm there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ThinRock
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. WOW I can't believe we missed the mark so badly. I would like the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have regarding your previous stay. You can contact me at gmhixom@t4shotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope that the next time you are in San Diego, you will give our location a second chance to WOW you.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to hear from you soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here as a platinum member on a rewards stay. 25 minutes drive to downtown San Diego/ Gaslamp; Literally 1/4 mile north of the border, take the last USA exit off the 905 to get here or you'll hit Mexico! Gas stations and a McDs are very nearby. The area is very much the business district/distribution.

Plenty of free parking out front. The room was as expected for an HIX...a good standard. Breakfast was served 6-9 a.m. which seemed a bit keen for a leisure traveler and meant a big rush/queue at 830; an email to the manager Greg Williams (thank you for the reply) revealed that they are moving this to 7-10 at the weekend. The rates at the weekend ($63 + Tax at priorityclub . com ) are very low and as always include an easy breakfast & wifi; a great value place to stay if you're happy with the drive into SD (I was). Would I return? With a low rate this needs to be balanced against the drive; either pay double and up and stay around Gaslamp and pay for parking or here...great for a family or friends stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. As you stated, and as I stated to you in our email correspondence, we will be changing our breakfast times on the weekends to better suit our leisure travelers. We are currently awaiting for our appropriate signage so we can display the correct times for breakfast. I estimate that the breakfast times will be changed by May 1st, just before the start of our busy season.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego!

Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here for business. The staff was friendly and the room was large, clean, and comfortable.

The hotel is in an industrial area right on the Mexican border. It seems to be frequented by blue collar type business travelers who go to bed early and don't make much noise.

This is not a high-end hotel. The breakfast is your typical mediocre budget-hotel type breakfast and you have to take your own bags up to your room. For the very reasonable price, however, you get a huge, clean, modern room. It's perfect for business travelers or even for budget-minded families who need to stay in Otay.

This is a great place to stay for people who have business in Tijuana but prefer to stay on the US side. It's just minutes from the Otay Mesa crossing, which tends to be a lot quicker than San Ysidro.

Room Tip: All the rooms are huge and clean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BonnieandPolo
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in Otay Mesa. While we may not have a bellman to assist with your luggage here at the hotel, please feel free to ask the front desk for any assistance if needed. Any of our employees (including myself) would be more than happy to assist you bringing in your luggage.

Hope to see you soon on your next visit!

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Surprisingly easy to find - it's not accessed directly off the main highway. Just follow the satnav. Other reviewers say horrible location - but you choose this location because you WANT to be there so for me it was actually excellent. Large car park, quick and friendly check in. Priority Club membership recognised with upgrade to suite, not that it made much difference on a short overnight stay, Got the impression regular rooms would be very spacious.

No bar or restaurant in the hotel - a number of eateries about a mile east but necessitate a drive.

Only disappointment was the breakfast service - offering was standard HIEx fayre, but it was not produced quickly enough, for most of the time the hot options were empty as food was so slow being prepared as soon as any was put out it was gone. Other items needed refilling more frequently. Basically breakfast team not ready for volume of customers. Seems to be a trend in the reviews here if HIEX Otay Mesa management read them....

I'd happily stay again though if life took me to this part of the world.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Greg W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego Otay Mesa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry to hear about your breakfast experience. My fellow managers and I have heard the negative trend about how slow the turnover of the food is taking so we are currently in the process of fixing these issues. I hope to exceed your expectations next time you come to the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Really nice big rooms, great service. I thought I was getting lost following the GPS. REALLY horrible location. I suppose if I were going to take day trips into Tijuana it would be a great location. Only a few blocks from the border. Was a really great value. I look forward to staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank TopherJ
Thank you very much for your kind words towards our guest rooms and our customer service. We at the Holiday Inn Express Otay Mesa take pride in the service that we deliver to every guest.

I hope to see you on your next visit!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel was alright... a basic room for an alright price (through Priceline) however the hotel was very hard to find, even with a GPS and it's the LAST U.S. exit before the Mexico border. It seemed safe, but the breakfast was awful, and the staff was only mildly helpful. Breakfast was never refilled and I was there for 30 min. It was empty when I got there.

Room Tip: The room was not an issue. It was large, roomy and clean. AC was pretty quiet. Tub was extremely sli...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SHLEAON B

I do apologize about the breakfast. We are currently working to make our breakfast more efficient during our high demand periods.

I hope that you will give us another chance to win you back.