“Great location, nice amenities, friendly staff”
Review of The Sofia Hotel

The Sofia Hotel
Ranked #80 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Reading some of the negative reviews leaves me confused. We really liked the hotel. No sign of being dog-friendly, except the doggie treats at the front desk. We smelled no animal odor whatsoever. The location was great. Only three blocks from the gas lamp, close enough to enjoy it but far enough to be quiet. There's a coffee shop right near the lobby along with a nice little restaurant for lunch and dinner. Only two blocks away there's a nice little breakfast place and a Panera Bread for a quick breakfast. Our room was air conditioned and comfortable with a deadbolt and very comfortable bed. The towels were really nice. :-) The use of the free bikes was great, although the bikes need servicing. You get 2 free bottles of water daily which is a small thing but nice in the summer. We didn't do the free walking tour because we'd done the Segway tour but that's a neat bonus as well. The staff was super friendly and gave good advice about finding free parking on Saturday night/Sunday instead of paying for their lot. We only had a car one day and felt like you really didn't need it. Easy walking distance to the Midway & ferry to Coronado Island and right on the bus route to the zoo/Balboa park. We do wish they had a pool and a kitchenette. The only reason we didn't give it five stars is because the concierge, while friendly, didn't know the bus routes well and the front desk staff were, on occasion, under staffed. We definitely would stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Great location near Gas Lamp District. Extremely tiny room though with little room to walk around (we stayed in a deluxe room - double). Apart from that, was quite happy with other room facilities. Shower was amazing. Free wifi. Hotel had no pool or spa though.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed here for one night because I got a good rate at the last minute. However, the room was not up to par. It was extremely loud with noise coming from everywhere - the air conditioner sounded like a space ship warming up, and there was a constant noise all night that sounded like someone next door was taking a shower (?). Worst of all, the fridge made an extremely loud creaking/clicking noise all night, and could not be unplugged because it was inside this console thing. I had to sleep with a pillow over my head and the TV blasting and got no sleep at all. Also, I was not impressed with the condition of the room. The pillow had a blood stain on it, and the chair had little splatters of whitish fluid (YUCK). The mattress had no mattress pad, and a large uncomfortable plastic tag where your feet go. On top of this, when I reported the problems to management they basically (a) blamed me for booking the smallest and cheapest room (WTF? really?) and (b) told me that next time I should not book through hotels.com. I didn't even expect any kind of refund or anything, I just wanted them to acknowledge the problem and give me an apology for the crappy room.

Plus, ditto to everything the others have said about the bogus "resort" fee. I've stayed in resorts before; this does not count as a resort. It is just an excuse for the hotel to charge you more money for things that other hotels provide for free.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank leilani9484
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The location of this hotel is great! It is walking distance to the pier... a short cab or trolley ride from everywhere else... Oh, and it's in walking distance to the train. Super plus.

As this building is quite old, you can expect some odd things. For one, the rooms are itty bitty. I knew this going in and was totally okay with it because they were charming and the windows are great! We stayed in a king room... standard room, I beleive.

When you enter the room you are first greeted by a sink. Yes, a sink. The bathroom space was apparently not large enough to include the sink inside. But, that's alright. There was a coffee machine, ipod player. The bed was comfortable enough.. Pillows were WAYYYY to full. I slept without one as they gave me a neckache.

The shower is a walk-in. No tub, which I prefer... but it had a glass partition that only went halfway across the shower, so it's an open shower. So, it's hard to keep the warmth in, and water gets everywhere.

We booked with a $99 deal with travelzoo... so I was okay with the hotel....

Taxes and guest fees were about $20. So, don't know if it would have been worth it at regular price.

OH YA!... Parking is $30... valet or the lot in the back... PER DAY!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Love the location and general vibe of this smaller, city hotel.
Not wild about paying for parking and add'l wifi/water fee, but great if you want to be in the Gaslamp. Adjoining bar has a good breakfast too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ijf1010
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Hotel offers nice "freebies": walking tour of area at 9 a.m., 3 hours free bike rental. Nice, but I was there for a short business overnight. Still, at checkout, and not before, I was informed there was a $7.95 "guest fee" which appeared on the bill as $8.94, supposedly for tax, in addition to the cost of the room.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 40states30countries
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at The Sofia for 4 nights in September of 2013. We totally enjoyed our stay, the room was super clean, well appointed, had lovely shampoo etc. The hairdryer was great! Not one of those crap hotel ones.

You will hear that these rooms are small and they are but they are so charming that you don't even care. We asked for a quiet room and we were given a nice little quiet room that looked out to a brick wall! We didn't care as this is what we asked for, the nicer view rooms look out to the street which would have been too noisy for us.

We walked everywhere from the Hotel, to the Gaslamp is around 5-10mins and to the USS Midway was 10-15 and to Seaport Village was around 15mins. There were HEAPS of dining opportunities close to the hotel and i'd definitely stay here again.

My only complaint would be that the room key kept failing for us and we had to keep trudging back down to the lobby to have it re-set. I sent my Husband on this errand after I had been 4 times already during our stay, the Manager was quite rude to him and refused to re-issue the key without me being present (as my name was on the room) this would have been fine except that all the staff knew both of us as having had done this dance 4 times already. When I went back down he was also rude to me, telling me that it was my mistake by placing the room key with my credit cards. This was not the case at all! I kept my room key in a separate slot in my wallet.
Anyway, we enjoyed our stay despite this.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple