“Small rooms but fantastic service and prime location”
Review of The Sofia Hotel

The Sofia Hotel
Ranked #78 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

If u r in town for a convention this hotel is perfect. The rooms r a bit small but clean and very nice. The location is also prime for people wanting to go to gas lamp for the evening or other attractions in the area. You can easily walk to gas lamp in heels, I promise. The happy hour at currant in the hotel lobby is great for starting the evening for ending the day. They have lots of food and beverage specials. There is also a coffee bean in the same building.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank CKLA600
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sofia Hotel San Diego and we do partner with most conventions in San Diego. With all of the dining choices right outside the Sofia's front door, we enjoyed reading that you were able to experience Currant American Brasserie's food and beverage specials. Hope to welcome you back to Sofia soon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nigts following a Panama cruise. It was only a short taxi ride from the cruise terminal and right on the edge of the Gas Lamp quarter and all the restaurants. It was also in an ideal location for picking up the hop-on-hop-off tram tour and catching the trams at Santa Fe station.
We went on the tram tour one day and via local transport to La Jolla and Paradise beach another day. Both were good value for money and we saw all the best parts of San Diego in just 2 days.

The hotel itself has lots of character and charm and the rooms were a decent size and good value for money. It has a quaint bar/restaurant and the staff on reception and concierge desks were really friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area.

Room Tip: The view from rooms is pretty much the same on all sides of the building.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JandD681
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. The Sofia's proximity to the Cruise Ship Terminal, Gaslamp Quarter and Sante Fe Station is very popular with guests looking for a hotel stay before and after their cruise. It was great to read that you noticed the charm, character and history of The Sofia Hotel and experienced great service during your recent stay with us

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

This was a quick trip through San Diego, and I wanted to stay within walking distance of restaurants. Good location, close to everything, excellent transportation options, close to Santa Fe Depot.
The room was small but lacking nothing, firm bed, wonderful bedding. Staff very helpful, courteous and friendly. The restaurant looked loud & dark but that was only near the bar. I ate an outstanding meal at Currant and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Much more than I expected after getting a great deal online. Arrived and had a serious problem with our room...the heater didn't work and it was blowing like 61 degrees into our already-chilly room! They let us see a second room and that furnace was making all kinds of awful noises too... Third time must be the charm here, because they upgraded us to a suite (with heat!) that was not only adorable, but had a super comfy bed, nice layout and space, and a working heater! I appreciated their desire to please and I would definitely return. The only downside is the price of parking bc we had two vehicles ($30 per night!) but oh well, c'est la vie! The best part: We got to bring our dog with us and he got the couch! (on a blanket, of course...)

Room Tip: They allow doggies!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We read a lot of reviews about the Sofia Hotel prior to the booking. There was a great concern about the amount of space in the rooms and the semi glassed shower stall.
We arrived at the Sophia at 4 AM because of flight delays, we where pleasantly surprise with the room. We had just arrived from Hawaii and stayed at the Sofia 4 nights before boarding a ship to go through the Panama Canal. Our entire trip had a duration of 30 days so we where not traveling light. We had 2 wheeled carry on, two 26 inch suit cases and a 30 inch suit case. This all fit nicely in the room and there was lot of space to walk around. There was actually more room in the hotel room then our state room on the ship. We must say there was no room to dance but that we did at clubs since we where well situated.
The washroom served it purpose well and I am amused at people that say they flooded the room try showering in a washroom with just a telephone shower attached to the tub now that is challenging not the Sofia
The restaurant was nice, very good food but if you where expecting a 5 start restaurant you are kidding yourself. People need to set proper expectation when traveling.
The staff where more then willing to help and we did cram in a lot of thing in our 3 day stay in San Diego and a lot was done with the help of the concierge desk
We have traveled all over the world and we can tell you the Sofia hotel is a great spot, not the best suit at the Hilton but again not the cost of the best suit at the Hilton. It is great value for your money.

Room Tip: set your expectations to a resonable level when you travel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Sofia Hotel was recommended to me on Trip advisor via the forum. I want to thank the reviewers for their advise....the location was excellent, so close to GasLamp area, close to Little Italy etc. etc.

The staff were very helpful and were so proud of their city..... I enjoyed the Wi-Fi, the free tour of Downtown by the hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable , my room even had a microwave oven, excellent for reheating leftovers etc.

The big plus for me was getting a discount to visit San Diego Zoo, plus having the local bus stop just opposite the hotel, this was very convenient.

Thank you to the Sofia Hotel...I enjoyed my first visit to San Diego! Another happy Australian Traveller!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Valrish
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Sofia Hotel San Diego and were pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and location. We also offer plastic cutlery sets for your leftovers.... thank you for visiting from Australia and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofia next time

Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Sofia Hotel is my favorite downtown San Diego hotel. I immediately booked my December 2012 stay (two nights) ten months prior(!) to take advantage of an *amazing* discount as part of their 5th year anniversary celebration. I was so pleased!

As a solo traveler who have been to both the Queen and Double Bed room types, the double bed type is ideal for me -- intimate, cozy, comfortable. I honestly could stay in the room throughout my visit just to enjoy the luxuriousness, especially the mattress, beddings, and towels! During this last stay, the TV has been upgraded so I enjoyed watching my favorite stations.

Anyway, the joy in this last stay was the wonderfully decorated lobby of glistening Christmas trees! I suppose part of me hoped they were living trees because I was longing for the scent of fresh pine but no matter; they were still cheerfully festive.

The staff were friendly and pleasant and went out of their way in hospitality. I appreciated that but since I am already familiar with the hotel amenities, fees, and general downtown destinations, I pretty much ventured on my own and they let me be.

The Sofia is home away for me whenever I go to downtown San Diego. Since I take the train from the nearby (approx. 5 blocks away) Santa Fe Depot train station, I usually arrive at the hotel by foot at around 10:30am and every time, a room was always available for me upon check in. This really helped because I could rest a while before exploring the city. This last visit, I was assigned a room on the top floor (7th).

I never tried the Currant Restaurant but perhaps I will at some point.

NOTES
- Depending on the timing, I would notice conferences being held at the hotel so it could get busy. Also, in past visits, I there were multiple rooms occupied by guests who were in an extremely party-oriented mood so there were evenings of loud and raucous noises. Nothing serious, though, for me to call the front desk. Otherwise, the hotel is nice retreat for quiet relaxation.

- I would like to try the spa service one of these days. The options and prices looked reasonable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo