“Cute and Quaint...with 1930s charm!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sofia Hotel

The Sofia Hotel
Ranked #81 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Costa Mesa, California
“Cute and Quaint...with 1930s charm!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Much more than I expected after getting a great deal online. Arrived and had a serious problem with our room...the heater didn't work and it was blowing like 61 degrees into our already-chilly room! They let us see a second room and that furnace was making all kinds of awful noises too... Third time must be the charm here, because they upgraded us to a suite (with heat!) that was not only adorable, but had a super comfy bed, nice layout and space, and a working heater! I appreciated their desire to please and I would definitely return. The only downside is the price of parking bc we had two vehicles ($30 per night!) but oh well, c'est la vie! The best part: We got to bring our dog with us and he got the couch! (on a blanket, of course...)

Room Tip: They allow doggies!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We read a lot of reviews about the Sofia Hotel prior to the booking. There was a great concern about the amount of space in the rooms and the semi glassed shower stall.
We arrived at the Sophia at 4 AM because of flight delays, we where pleasantly surprise with the room. We had just arrived from Hawaii and stayed at the Sofia 4 nights before boarding a ship to go through the Panama Canal. Our entire trip had a duration of 30 days so we where not traveling light. We had 2 wheeled carry on, two 26 inch suit cases and a 30 inch suit case. This all fit nicely in the room and there was lot of space to walk around. There was actually more room in the hotel room then our state room on the ship. We must say there was no room to dance but that we did at clubs since we where well situated.
The washroom served it purpose well and I am amused at people that say they flooded the room try showering in a washroom with just a telephone shower attached to the tub now that is challenging not the Sofia
The restaurant was nice, very good food but if you where expecting a 5 start restaurant you are kidding yourself. People need to set proper expectation when traveling.
The staff where more then willing to help and we did cram in a lot of thing in our 3 day stay in San Diego and a lot was done with the help of the concierge desk
We have traveled all over the world and we can tell you the Sofia hotel is a great spot, not the best suit at the Hilton but again not the cost of the best suit at the Hilton. It is great value for your money.

Room Tip: set your expectations to a resonable level when you travel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The Sofia Hotel was recommended to me on Trip advisor via the forum. I want to thank the reviewers for their advise....the location was excellent, so close to GasLamp area, close to Little Italy etc. etc.

The staff were very helpful and were so proud of their city..... I enjoyed the Wi-Fi, the free tour of Downtown by the hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable , my room even had a microwave oven, excellent for reheating leftovers etc.

The big plus for me was getting a discount to visit San Diego Zoo, plus having the local bus stop just opposite the hotel, this was very convenient.

Thank you to the Sofia Hotel...I enjoyed my first visit to San Diego! Another happy Australian Traveller!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Valrish
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Sofia Hotel San Diego and were pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and location. We also offer plastic cutlery sets for your leftovers.... thank you for visiting from Australia and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofia next time
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Sofia Hotel is my favorite downtown San Diego hotel. I immediately booked my December 2012 stay (two nights) ten months prior(!) to take advantage of an *amazing* discount as part of their 5th year anniversary celebration. I was so pleased!

As a solo traveler who have been to both the Queen and Double Bed room types, the double bed type is ideal for me -- intimate, cozy, comfortable. I honestly could stay in the room throughout my visit just to enjoy the luxuriousness, especially the mattress, beddings, and towels! During this last stay, the TV has been upgraded so I enjoyed watching my favorite stations.

Anyway, the joy in this last stay was the wonderfully decorated lobby of glistening Christmas trees! I suppose part of me hoped they were living trees because I was longing for the scent of fresh pine but no matter; they were still cheerfully festive.

The staff were friendly and pleasant and went out of their way in hospitality. I appreciated that but since I am already familiar with the hotel amenities, fees, and general downtown destinations, I pretty much ventured on my own and they let me be.

The Sofia is home away for me whenever I go to downtown San Diego. Since I take the train from the nearby (approx. 5 blocks away) Santa Fe Depot train station, I usually arrive at the hotel by foot at around 10:30am and every time, a room was always available for me upon check in. This really helped because I could rest a while before exploring the city. This last visit, I was assigned a room on the top floor (7th).

I never tried the Currant Restaurant but perhaps I will at some point.

NOTES
- Depending on the timing, I would notice conferences being held at the hotel so it could get busy. Also, in past visits, I there were multiple rooms occupied by guests who were in an extremely party-oriented mood so there were evenings of loud and raucous noises. Nothing serious, though, for me to call the front desk. Otherwise, the hotel is nice retreat for quiet relaxation.

- I would like to try the spa service one of these days. The options and prices looked reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank blgrn8
Ridgefield, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

The room I stayed in was small, but was very nice; Spotless and an upscale feel. The towels were so big and soft I wanted to steal one (I didn't). It was nice to have a fridge and a microwave in the room. There was also a coffee maker. The service couldn't have been better. It was about a 20 minute walk to the convention center. Many good restaurants nearby and a grocery store within walking distance. I was able to take a bus from across the street to Balboa Park. Convenient location! The only downside was that although I prepaid for my stay, I was informed when I got there that there would be a service fee of around $8 per night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hilo, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Sofia was an excellent value and I would definitely stay there again. The location was very convenient to the convention center, gaslamp district, and waterfront. Currant, the hotel restaurant, was a beautiful place to relax and enjoy good food after a long day of walking and sightseeing (check out their daily special "Popcorn of the Moment"). The room was very small but comfortable. Staff was also most helpful. I arrived early in the morning and they were able to get me into my room right away.

I had some "technical difficulties" in the business center - first with the computer and then the printer, but hotel staff saw to it that I got what I needed, ultimately setting me up at the concierge desk to print out my document. My only complaint was regarding the cable service, which spontaneously and frequently cut out throughout my stay. When my friends arrived they has the same issue in their room. I reported this to the front desk, who said he'd send someone up to look at it - and explained there seemed to be some issues since upgrading to flat screen tvs. In any case, it was not fixed and remained an issue for the 7 night duration of my stay. I wasn't there to watch TV so it wasn't a big deal as much as a minor annoyance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We moved out of The LES THAN DESIRABLE W HOTEL into The HOTEL SOFIA and we were SO GLAD to be out of the Miserableand Ugly Room of The W.

The Sofia is much better situated, you don't need a cab fare added to your dinner tab coming and going as it is close to Gaslamp, The Horton Plaza and the other fine hotels of San Diego and the transportation system is very good.

The Sofia has been totally renovated and is beautifully decorated in traditional style. It has a sense of excellence as the furniture is truly fine, beautifully upholstered and arranged in a very comfortable manner. There is a fireplace and it has been made into an intimate and comfortable area to unwind. We arrived just as they were putting the final touches on the Christmas decorastions, which were beautiful. The lobby begged you torelax.

The first person we met was Todd at the concierge desk. He gave us a tour of rooms and we knew we had to move in IMMEDIATELY.. We chose the one bedroom suite as the rooms are smalland they make no bones about it. The rooms are really well decorated and comfortable and we were SO HAPPY to be staying in a hotel that we found inviting, comfortable, well situated,
with a fine restaurant, CURRANT, that WAS OPEN. We enoyed two meals there and were never disappointed. There was an adjacent coffee cafe that made us happy too.,

All the amenities were provided and we didn't have to ask for and NOT RECEIVE anything. We wereso comfortable and the BED WAS FABULOUS with GREAT LINENS and HUGE and BEAUTIFUL SCULPTED TOWELS. One irritation is the sliding glass bathroom door doesn't lock,
it has a tendency to have a minfd of its own. The locking is more about privacy than security.

We truly didn't want to leave. GREAT EVERYTHING, STAFF, DECOR, LOCATION, FOOD and
AMBIANCE!

Room Tip: Take a Room Tour
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank QUEENIE_ELLE
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and excited to hear that you enjoyed The Sofia, her location, amenities, comfort and service. We will pass along your comments to our Associates and hope that you will be able to return to The Sofia Hotel very soon. Happy Holidays