“Could be better with minor changes” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sofia Hotel

The Sofia Hotel
Ranked #80 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Calgary, Canada
“Could be better with minor changes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We spent 5 nights in this hotel, in a room with 2 double beds. The room was small and a bit crowded with 2 people, but we really didn't spend a lot of time in the room so it didn't matter. The room had a fridge and microwave, which was a nice surprise. There is an $8/day charge for the use of the hotel amenities and 2 bottles of water every day. This includes unlimited access to the business center and internet. The staff are very friendly and eager to please. The hotel is in a great location; close to transit, gaslamp, horton plaza and the harbor. The downside to the room is there was no tub and the shower was poorly designed for such a small space. Water sprayed everywhere. Guests should not have to mop up water after each shower. A shower curtain might be helpful. We couldn't understand why a face cloth was placed on the bath mat, but it became apparent after the first shower. Obviously the hotel knows there is an issue and should fix it. Also, the windows were so grimy that you could barely see through them. That was a turn off and it gave me the impression that it was a grimy hotel, which realy it wasn't. The air conditioning blew directly onto the bed, which made it very uncomfortable to sleep. After night 1, we had to turn it off. All in all it was a decent stay, but I would probably try a different place next time.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a bath tub, ask. It's not agiven.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a quick overnight stay downtown. We tried the Sofia and loved it. The Sofia Hotel had all the advantages of staying at a classic location in the heart of downtown with the updated comfort and luxury of a new boutique hotel. Though the suites were small, they were modern, very comfortable, and well equipped. The staff was friendly and helpful and though we didn't try the food, the adjoining restaurant's cocktails were delicious.
We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here Nov 15th w/ my boyfriend. He was flying in from the East Coast & actually got an early flight in. He was due to arrive in San Diego @ 11am. I called the hotel to ask if it was possible for us to check in early that day & not only did they say yes of course, but since I was already in San Diego, I actually checked into the room at 9:30am with no additional charge.
The front desk staff I worked with was Marianna & Brian. I booked the rooms with Marianna 2 months in advance & then spoke with Brian about the early check in. They were both working when we arrived at the hotel & when we checked out. They were so sweet, personable & professional. Made me seem like their job was to make the guests happy, a concept lost on some hotels nowadays!
The hotel's location was great, parking a bit confusing but even the parking attendants were so helpful & polite. The hotel is a historical hotel with old charm & unique boutique style. We had a great deal on a queen suite in 601, with a good view of the outlying downtown area looking toward the bay.
The suite was nicely decorated and ample space for a suite. So thankful for the ihome charger on the night stand. A TV in both the living & sleep area (not that we used them) a small closet, the sink was outside of the bathroom, which was a good call since the bathroom was small. There is a mini microwave & empty fridge in the living room, so that was a nice surprise.
The only reason it did not receive 5 stars is bc the air conditioning unit in both the bedroom & living room was SOOO loud, we turned them both off until we needed some air circulation & had to turn one of them on. And the bed was not the most comfortable.
But again I cannot say enough about the guest services! Best I have had in a LONG time! Thanks Mariana & Brian! I will see you again!

Room Tip: Suite 601 is a corner suite w/ a street/downtown to bay view out the lving room window. (You will on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband was attending a conference. The conference hotels were full. I found that the Sofia was within walking distance of the SD convention center. The lobby and room furnishings are attractive and modern. Our room with two double beds was quite small, not necessarily a problem unless one wanted to walk in front of the beds other than single file. The bathroom door to save space was attached at the top and held in place by something that allowed it to move kind of like a pocket door. The problem was that it got off the track and would not open trapping my husband inside for a few minutes. The outside of the windows were grimy. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I liked the restaurant and also the coffee bar located in front of the hotel. Cost a little over $200 per night.

Room Tip: Pets are allowed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hancock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Booked through hotel's site directly and signed up to be " friends" of the Sofia" to receive announcements of offers, etc. At that time I read all of the reviews so I knew what to expect. Almost every review grades lower because of small room size, so this was not a surprise. I selected the smallest,least expensive room for 5 nights. When I checked in (4hrs early) I requested a room with a lot of natural light. Mary Ann was very friendly and she found me a front facing corner room so I had windows on two walls and was upgraded from a double bed room to a queen for bit less than I would have paid for the double. The room was clean. Yes water sprays out of the shower but it isn't much of a problem if you use your bathmat. The shower was roomy and had good spray. The bed and bedding were very comfortable. Closet was adequate. Large flat screened tv. The lobby was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. I had no trouble printing my boarding passes in the business center near the lobby. I peaked into the yoga place and people were using it. I received great directions and advice from desk staff and concierge. The mini fridge was great to keep the complimentary water bottles cold and i ended up heating up some delicious leftovers in the little microwave. I am a woman who stayed alone while attending a conference at the San Diego convention center. It was a pretty easy 15-20 min walk each way. Even as a single woman after dArk I felt safe walking the downtown and gas lamp areas because there were so many people around and many businesses still open. Some other reviewers said there were a lot of homeless--yes you'll see some, but my last conference was in San Francisco, and there are a lot more there--and sf's homeless approach you a lot more. Good shopping and eating very close by. The hotels own restaurant, Currant, (see separate review) definitely deserves your visit--ate here three times during my stay which is not something I usually do. The only very minor complaint was that after the first night, my in-room coffee was replaced as all decaf coffee. When I saw a maid later and asked for some regular, I was told the entire hotel was out of regular--and this remained true for the rest of my stay. A lovely coffee shop is just a few steps out of the lobby, but as someone who normally drinks a lot of coffee, it would have been nice to have some type of coupon or voucher for those of us who counted on in-room coffee as an amenity. However, I loved the cozy room (might have been less comfy if traveling with another person). Loved the lobby, the historical features of the building, the bed, location, and pretty much everything! Would definitely stay again. PS: I heard several people complaining about the cost to valet your car. There are cheaper public lots around for self valet. Also, I think it would have been a hassle to drive in the city. The city is very walkable and there are busses and cabs everywhere.

• Stayed November 2012
Anchorage
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

The renovated hotel is nice, but located very near the JAIL, bail bondsmen, etc. Extra costs: $30/day valet (plus tip) - cheapest choice for parking. Also mandatory $8 at checkout for amenities fee (2 bottles of water). Not coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brenda C
Escondido, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We bought a groupon for this hotel and used it to go to the Halloween party in the Gaslamp. We had a queen bed suite. It had a sitting room. It was a little small but big enough for our needs. The bathtub was not a full soak tub and our bedroom windows looked out onto brick. The sitting room windows were nice and large though and looked out onto the street. I read some reviews about the hotel being noisy, but it was completely quiet for us. The tv's were tiny (and not flatscreen) compared to what we have got in other hotels, but we didn't come to the room to watch tv. All in all I enjoyed our stay and thought we got a good deal. We also ate in the bar/restaurant and their buffalo burger was fabulous!

Room Tip: I liked the corner suite because it had big windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michaelshoney
AndreaWinslow, General Manager at The Sofia Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Sofia and we were glad to hear that you were able to use an advertised deal to go to the Halloween Bash in the Gaslamp downtown. The installation of new 42" televisions in all of our guest rooms is underway and should be completed soon. We also agree that the Bison Burger at Currant is fantastic . Hope to see you again soon