“Best Asian Fusion in a Year !”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Pearl Kitchen - CLOSED

Red Pearl Kitchen
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Thai, American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: San Diego Trolley - Orange Line. Exit at Gaslamp Quarter Station. Proceed north on 5th Avenue. Turn left on J Street. We are on the north side of the street. Look for the Big Red Chair!
NY/Westport/Provence
“Best Asian Fusion in a Year !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Forget the Slanted Door in SF, China Doll in Sydney and all the others in Seattle and Vancouver. This little gem shocked me as I did not expect the sort if top gastronomic meal that I heartily enjoyed... So much so that I over indulged and I am on the way to the gym. Great cool yet cozy atmosphere with a good buzz but not too loud. As I was one person they have these comfy booths where you can sit looking out at the comings and goings and it is very relaxing The servers ... I mean every single person there are beyond warm and very good at what they do. My waitress ( darn ... Her name .... Well she was a soccer player :) ) was amazing. Tranquil yet totally focused on my meal. Giving suggestions... Good suggestions! I had to try two of the appetizers as they looked great. For seafood lovers.. There are many great choices but I went wil for the chicken pit stickers with greens and dipping sauces and the spring rolls. I wanted easy or I would have gotten the 'Mongolian steak' that js a house specialty. Chicken with tons of exotic vegetables , cashews and an amazing ginger sauce was the BEST ever had. It was a great all around dining experience
Go!

“Pointless”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Monday evening - restaurant half empty, but lacking atmosphere anyway. Food was not good at all and service was sloppy as we even were assumed to eat from the pan for lack of plates. Fried calamari was just that, no taste at all.

No point in choosing this restaurant if in San Diego.

Tampa, Florida
“Unique dining experience with modern minimalist Asian decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by hotel staff at our Gaslamp Quarter hotel -The Palomar. We arrived quite hungry , after a busy day of sightseeing early -around 4 pm, and sadly dinner was not being served until 5 pm. The bartender suggested we come in for Happy Hour and nosh on a selection of their specially priced appetizers - a deal as they were only $4 and $6. I tried the chicken wings - they were delicious and were glazed with a special Hosein Sauce. My friend tried the spring rolls with Sweet and Sour Sriracha and they were decadent. I also tried a specially priced cocktail which was made with Ginger beer and vodka. I had never had anything like that and it was so unique...tasted like spicy ginger ale!

For dinner we shared/split 2 entrees. One was the Crispy Salmon, Cauliflower, Japanese Eggplant, Yu Choy, dish with a Red Curry Sauce. I was expecting something more flavorful in the sauce and it did not deliver. The salmon, although generous in portion and tender was lacking a crispy or even pan fried crust on the outside. It seemed limp and certainly not what the name of the dish implied. The sauce was creamy and had a hint of Red Curry; however, I would have liked something with more of a punch. The second entree we tried, the Chili Caramel Prawns with charred green beans and sweet corn was simply marvelous and was our top favorite. The plating was beautiful and was topped with very finely sliced flavorful onions. The dish also hinted of some fresh garlic.

The amibance at Red Pearl Kitchen was nice, dark inside with large lowly lit modern lighting and red and black decor on the tables and chairs throughout. This would be a nice place for a first date or casual romantic evening or even a place to go for Happy Hour. If we are in San Diego again, I would return and experience the Chili Caramel Prawns again.

• Visited August 2012
delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun place. Food ok.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Took our family of 5 here. Really cool atmosphere. Noodle dishes and dim sum great. Crispy salmon and shaken Kobe beef average. Great service. Probably would not return.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Delicious food and not too pricey for the location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our family of five ate here while on holiday in the states. We hadn't read or heard any reviews about this restaurant before we went so didn't know what to expect. The food was really delicious, in fact the best meal we had in the two weeks we were there and it didn't seem quite as expensive as some of the other restaurants in the area. The only thing I would critisise would be the fact it was very dark in the eating area.

• Visited July 2012