“Great hotel, but not for sleeping”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #74 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This hotel is well designed and has a great location. It has an attentive staff who take excellent care of you. The problem is that on Th, Fri, and Sat night the dance club generates very loud throbbing techno-music that cannot be ignored anywhere in the hotel. We requested the quietest room available and were wide awake at 2:00 AM when it finally shut down. Yes, we are older and no, we don't dance the night away anymore, but this is not a good place to sleep on three days of the week.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed February 19, 2011

I completed a 1 night stay here on Friday. Upon check-in, we were given a choice of the $15 wine card or a cheese plate and a bottle of wine for our Diamond amenity. Since we were a party of two, I asked if we could have some extra funds on the wine card, to which the answer was no. In retrospect, I think I should have gotten the cheese plate and bottle of wine, since the wine bar is expensive and $15 is really only good for about 1 glass.

Check-in was fine. Parking is expensive at $35/night. We used a Diamond Suite upgrade and at first was put in a "Large King." I refused this room and told the front desk this was not a suite. We were then moved to an Andaz Loft. This isn't really a suite. But since I was only there for 1 night, we took this room. We were proactively warned about the, noise from the club above which was appreciated.

Even though the Andaz Loft is definitely not a suite, I liked the room. I liked the decor, layout and the bed was comfortable. I don't know what this hotel was like before the conversion to Andaz, but i think Hyatt did a good job at renovating this property.

I checked out the rooftop bar/pool and the gym. Both were nice, but nothing memorable.

In the evening, we went to the wine bar. There wasn't a soul there, so we had the bartender to ourselves and got some good service. In addition to trying out the wines, we got some appetizers and the pizza and cheese plate we got were very good. One word of note: make sure to only put money on the card that you are prepared to use. Any leftover money on the wine card cannot be refunded, which I was a bit upset about because I saw no reason why they couldn't provide a refund.

In terms of the noise, yes it was loud. On the night we were there, it ended at about 1AM. For one or two nights, it would be ok for me and my sig other, since we are both heavy sleepers, but i definitely would not be able to take that noise every night.

The next morning we had breakfast and got the best service that we ever received throughout our stay from our waitress that morning. She was very courteous and gave us carte blanche to order whatever we wanted. We gave her a nice tip.

Unfortunately, at checkout, the front desk erroneously charged us for minibar charges which we did not take, and also erroneously charged us for breakfast. For some reason, it took a long time for this to be settled, and I left the hotel a bit annoyed with the staff.

In summary, I'd probably come back for another short stay, but I wouldn't be able to take a weekend here because of the noise. And I definitely wouldn't waste a suite upgrade here.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2011

What an unexpected pleasure. From the welcoming glass of wine to the gorgeous rooftop views everything was exceptional. The room designs were clever and contemporary. The staff was much more than friendly. We had dinner at Rei do Gado on Fourth Ave. The valet suggested the place and again we hit a winner. Thank you so much for a fantastic stay. We'll be back..

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Agrimensora
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Free turndown service, a variety of complementary snacks in each room... and a mesmerizing "glass box" shower basically in the middle of the room. Our breakfast room service was great (a little pricey) and the central Gaslamp location is central but not over-trafficked! Understated elegance with a few touches of wild luxury.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank highTechFool
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Best roof top bar! Crashed here for concert – was great waking up and laying in the sub on the roof top. Food, room, all great. Not been here since it was the IVY Hotel – It is better now!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

After reading many reviews online about the great staff & service I chose this hotel. When we checked in room was not ready, host did not offer the "beverage" others mentioned and failed to call us on cell phone as promised when room was ready. Two hours later when we returned to hotel we were treated as if we had just wandered in. During two day stay majority of staff acted as if we were not there. Bellmen opened door once for us and no one asked how our stay was or offered assistance. They would only speak when spoken to first. Its a shame, rooms are actually nice. I don't know if they had a problem with my AAA rate or skin color.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CherylCDW
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

Dear CherylCDW,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time at Andaz San Diego. At Andaz we are dedicated to satisfying each and every guest and to know that even one guest was not pleased is very disappointing. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss your stay in more detail so I can address these problems internally.
Warm Regards,
Rusty Middleton

Reviewed January 13, 2011

This was on our conference hotel list, but I have to wonder what they were thinking! The hotel is lovely--very hip, modern, and almost like a boutique hotel. My room was ready when I arrived and it was very comfortable. But at check-in, the host made a point of telling me that there was a nightclub and that music can be heard throughout the building. So I went out and bought earplugs, which did the trick. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are nightclub nights. Sunday was blissfully quiet.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business