“Awesome”

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #74 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We just spent a great weekend at the Andaz Hotel. We had a great time. The room was clean and the shower was great. We would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return soon. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful.

There are newer reviews for Andaz San Diego

Reviewed May 26, 2010

Hyatt recently added a new piece to it’s freshly designed ‘Andaz’ Collection – The Andaz San Diego. After having a little tour earlier last month I decided it was time for a stay to evaluate the hotel upon eventual pros & cons as I had to stay a day in SD anyway. I booked 2 Rooms on a Thursday departing friday. To say it upfront: I did not find too many pro-arguments.

First, the web check-in did not work. Upon personal check-in I was explained that the rooms are not ready yet (12:15pm). I advised the staff that I reserved with an arrival time of 11:30a after arriving from a long haul ex Asia. Suddenly they found 2 rooms, though not on the same floor but so be it. Then they proudly mentioned I have been upgraded to a "Loft" to which I responded that this is not really an upgrade per se, I used a Diamond Suite Certificate and if they could elaborate what "Loft" means. It ended up being a regular room with a diverter in the middle and a desk/couch behind it. The bathroom was smaller than in the other (Standard) room. The second reservation did not receive a Diamond Upgrade. Also my "Loft" did not have a bathtub which I specifically requested. They offered a downgrade to a room with a bathtub - great option! The whole CI process took 40 minutes. An embarrassing situation to say the least and just proof of the low key performance many of the Andaz properties are providing on a daily basis. The parking is 30$ - not too bad for SD but not cheap either.

Facilities: The roof is supposed to be the crown jewel of the hotel. It consists of a restaurant/bistro area, sitting area, bar and the pool with the well equipped but not very airy gym on the same floor. The pool is roughly 1.20m deep. To give you the picture, this reaches barely the top of my shorts. Swimming is possible on 2/3 length of the pool. Beware of your knees! My impression was, that the pool is more for a quick "cool down walkthrough" and "cocktail hangout" than serving its purpose as an actual swimming pool. There are ~ 7 sun beds, 3 Cabanas without shields and 3 half open sun chairs plus a sofa area with a TV. The Audio system surrounding the pool changed its volume level every 3 minutes - maybe they were probing "The Apprentice" for San Diego's DJ scene.

The breakfast was served on said bistro area the next morning. Service was ok - not more not less. I am Hyatt Diamond so the breakfast was included for my room automatically, the second room had the breakfast included per the AAA Rate I booked.

The bar staff created proper drinks. The food which has been ordered poolside was of good quality and freshly prepared. It missed the special touch regarding presentation though which somewhat would be expected considering the pricing model.

We did not use the restaurant downstairs as we ate out but ordered a dessert later from room service. A chocolate tart that was supposed to come with Hazelnut Ice Cream. The night staff had their creative Thursday so they decided to substitute the Hazelnut Ice cream with a spoon of almond/nut mix. Nice try but that won’t fly. After an interesting discussion with the room service operator the ice cream was delivered ~ 25 minutes later. Short before the cake dried out.

"The IVY Nightclub" on the roof is one of the hip spots in San Diego - At least this particular Thursday night I could not tell you why. Maybe it gets a bit better once summer settles in and they don’t need the heaters anymore. Guests receive a fancy IVY wristband so no ID checks etc are required anymore. You will get these starting at 8:30pm at the Front Desk.

The beds are the biggest plus of the Hotel. Very cozy and comfortable. The bathrooms are compact but nicely assembled paired with hardwood flooring. Assorted bathroom amenities were available as well as plush bathrobes and good towels. All rooms are individually designed and in the hallways are original art pieces and individual carpets. The furniture already shows some usage but is still acceptable. Within the hotel there are certain sources of noise, the nightclub being one of them. Especially in the interior rooms with the windows towards the inside courtyard are in the target line of this. The carpets in the hallways are somewhat noise redeeming so that the guests returning from the various night venues are not alerting everyone on the same floor.

The hardware is good - however the hotel seriously lacks in one important field and that is unfortunately in professionalism and customer satisfaction. There seemed to be no senior management on site. At least none that comes from a full service Hyatt. It was all pretty junior staff and the Andaz specific IT is not making their job easier. 3 hours after I left the hotel I received an email alert from my credit card the hotel just authorized more then 200$ - again. In the meanwhile this charge hit my account permanently even though the manager assured the reversal of the charge. The bill looks like a ping pong game as they already credited and debited my CC "by accident" more than 5 times. Greetings to the accounting!

Bottom Line: It doesn’t matter what demographic group you belong to - there are standards that a full service property in the Hyatt chain (even if under a different name) should fulfill. Servicewise, this particular place needs serious support from Hyatt Senior Management in nearly all fields of daily operation. From a professional point of view, the stay was a disaster. My friends enjoyed it though which I am very glad about and if you look at it the casual way then there is some leeway and the property get’s away with some things. As a guest who knows other Andaz properties as well I can just say there is more than just space for improvement. When every second phrase has to be an apology then something is fundamentally wrong. The name Ivy can not compensate everything !

2  Thank aeroAdvocate
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I booked this property on Hotwire as many of you before me have done.
They continue to allow their clients to book this property fully knowing that is is so far below anyone's standards for a 4 1/2 star property that it is a joke!

I suffered the same fate as many before me: a room with less that 100 sq', awful valet parking service, a 100 decibel noise level in the room until 2am, followed by college freshman type behavior of the patrons until 4am, with no attempts by staff to get things under control,

I really don't blame the property as much as Hotwire. The hotel does tell its regular patrons that the room will be difficult to sleep in while the club is in opertation, before they book and pay. Why can't Hotwire do this? the answer is simple. If they did so virtually no one would book. Instead, they make it an experience that almost all of us who have done so seriously regret. How much money can they possibly make off this property to so badly damage their reputation. Rate it the two stars it deserves and price it at the rates it should get - $50.00 - or better yet - don't sell it on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights!!!!!

3  Thank horseracingabroad
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I just finished an incredibly enjoyable and relaxing 4-night stay at the Andaz San Diego. Upon first arriving, the staff impressed me with their friendliness and professionalism. I scored a cheap room through Hotwire, so I was concerned that I'd be treated like a peon instead of like royalty, but that didn't happen at all.

The room was beautiful and luxurious, if a little small. There was a great mini-bar, complete with some complimentary offerings such as soda, juice, chips, chocolate, and a granola bar. The bed was super comfy, except the pillows could have been a little firmer. The shower was relaxing. The free wireless was fast and reliable. There was also an ipod dock in the room. The coffee maker yielded just okay coffee, but it did the trick.

The hotel also had a great little exercise room, with a few treadmills, elliptical machines and bikes, plus a couple of weight machines. Each machine had its own television and there were complimentary headphones provided. The machines all seemed very new and in great condition.

My boyfriend and I treated ourselves to room service the first night and were floored by how delicious it was. The cheeseburger and mac 'n' cheese, especially, were exceptional.

The $30/night for valet service seems pricey, but luckily, I didn't bring my car. Andaz's location makes for a very walkable vacation. I easily got to the zoo, Balboa Park, the Casbah, movie theatres, and tons of restaurants and shops on foot.

The hotel was exceptionally quiet. I barely even heard other people staying there.

Overall, I would enthusiastically recommend this hotel to friends and would gladly stay there again, and would also try other Andaz locations.

Reviewed May 16, 2010

This hotel is nice if you are in your twenties and plan on partying at the club on the roof then in your room till 5am! Not nice is you try to go to sleep any time before 5am. Vallet are rude and will not move traffic along. We had a room with a suite door and the young girls sahring that common door salmed it all night. Nice rooms but could use some serious sound proofing!

2  Thank jimdav
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent visit to San Diego. I am terribly sorry for your disappointing experience at our hotel. At Andaz we strive to exceed guests expectations and clearly this was not the case for you. I hope to welcome you back so that we can provide a more accurate Andaz experience.
Rusty

Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed here on a Thursday prior to a cruise using priceline.com. Andaz is a Hyatt property, and is a unique experience. They don't use a traditional front desk, the concierge/hosts check you in by laptop/tablet PC. They offer complimentary wine on check-in, and have a lot of complimentary items in the mini bar, as well as free wifi and wifi laptops available for guest use in the lobby. The rooms were very nice, ours had a nice glassed in large tub/ shower combo with nice toiletries, as well as a panel to provide privacy between the shower and sleeping area. Our other family members mentioned that their room had no privacy from the shower to the room. There was a nice 42" flat panel tv and ipod dock, as well as a desk and side chair. The curtains were very thin, but our room had a blackout shade behind the curtain to keep the morning light out.

The hosts were very friendly, asked us to come down for free wine, and helped us with local restaurant choices. Location is in the GasLamp District, so we were within walking distance to many great restaurants.

We didn't notice any of the noise others have mentioned, we had a corner room on the fifth floor. We didn't use the hotel bar or restaurant, but the by the glass wine bar looked very enticing. The rooftop pool area waas very secluded, and there were great sitting
areas on the rooftop.

It was a steal at my priceline bid of $71, and it is a great value at 4 star prices.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank qkslvr
Reviewed May 6, 2010

This is a nice location, rooms are a bit tight but nicely appointed. Very hip and trendy...
We booked on Priceline....we were disappointed that we were told upon arrival that Priceline only guarentees 1 queen bed for 2 travelers ( I beleive we were given a double bed.....this was not going to work for my travel comapanion and I).~ After a bit of a wait we were offered 1 king bd. Nice room...clean and newly decorated. Note to check on Pricelines guarentee....

All was fun and great...but agree with the advise that you should not stay on a Thurs - Sat if you need to sleep. The Techno Beat......gets louder and louder as the night goes on.

1  Thank atarnove