“Near Perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 282 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Near Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If I had not been placed 1st in the room I was placed in, my review would have been perfect as I wouldn't have discovered this point of weakness.
Great staff, lovely rooms, except if you book on hotels.com and end up in a room inside the corridor right below the fire stairs. Visitors of the roof top bar tend to spend the night there and you wouldn't be able to sleep.
Inform the concierge and your experience will become great.

Room Tip: Don't go for the rooms near and around 407
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Los Angeles, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed here for 3 days 2 nights and regretted it. Upon arrival the front desk man with the blond hair, not too tall, had a serious attitude problem. He kept talking and wasn't checking us in... we were very tired as we had been in traffic for 5 hours and wanted to get to our rooms. He kept talk and not checking us in so my husband VERY NICELY asked him to please speed up the check in process (BTW I had checked in online and received an email that my room was ready and I had the room number and everything.) After my husband asked him to speed up the process he stopped and lunged toward him and said "Whoa whoa whoa OK you need to CALM DOWN, Maybe you should go take a seat and calm yourself." My husband and I were stunned and I said to him that what he just did was very rude because my husband has been very nice to him. He then told ME to "CALM DOWN & CHILL" and then he kept murmurring under his breath and finished the process. He agressiviley handed us our keys and we were so stunned and tired we just went upstairs. I'm so upset I didn't talk to a manager at the time. Also, as we were going upstairs we noticed that the valet/bell hop had left our luggage on a dolly in the middle of the lobby and we ended up taking it to our room ourselves. The fact that I had to see that guy every time I went to through the lobby ruined my stay. The glasses in the room were dirty and our room was tiny... I asked for an upgrade but I guess the guy didn't like us enough because we weren't given one... our friends who checked in later were given an upgrade and had just simply asked. So weird an annoying. Definitely not worth it. We had friends staying at other hotels that had much better service and rooms for just as much money as we had spent at this place.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

2 Thank Michelle L
JMillerAndazSD, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Matthew,

I am sorry to hear of your experience at check in and the missed items in your guest room. This is not the level of service we pride ourselves at Andaz San Diego. We certainly take your feedback to our team to use it as a tool to improve guest experience going forward.

I would be more than happy to invite you back for a much better experience when your time allows. Please do contact me directly at your convenience off line.

With kind regard,

Jeffrey Miller
Wilmington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel did not seem like a typical Andaz property. It seemed a little run down and seemed to cater to a very young crowd for the Rooftop Bar. Hotel was not hotel guest friendly and seemed like they cared more about their Rooftop Bar/Pool being the hip place to be. There was not a quiet spot for a hotel guest to relax at the end of the day.

San Diego, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very clean, warm and welcoming, very modern with a fun shower!. overall customer service was good. Noisy I think due to Memorial weekend.2 blocks from Horton Plaza. It is a hotel that is on the smaller side

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Our stay at the Andaz was a real mixed bag, and overall was fairly disappointing.

The good: "happening location" in the Gaslamp district. The rooms are very sleek and modern with cool bathrooms. Staff are friendly.

Not so good: Rooms are fairly small, with limited place to put anything: very small closet, two relatively small drawers. Not a single towel holder or even towel hook in the bathroom, so other than the floor or slinging it over the shower door, no place to leave a wet towel. "Turndown service" consisted of closing the drapes in our room. Wet towels were left in the bathroom, and there was still water on the bathroom floor after our room was "turned down". We stayed during a convention week, and although the hotel lists a wide selection of breakfast items on the in room and lobby menus, only a buffet breakfast was available (except for room service). The buffet consisted of a paltry array of 5 different things (scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, potatoes, fruit salad, and one type of danish pastry) for $22.95. The buffet was outside -- that week was chilly and windy (temps in the low 60's first thing in the morning), and although there were portable gas heaters, none was in use. So, you could basically pay a lot of money to freeze while eating a very limited choice of breakfast buffet items at an inflated price. Finally, the hotel is EXTREMELY loud on weekends -- unless your room is buried deep in an interior courtyard, you will hear lots of screaming and yelling from the streets until the wee hours of the morning. I realize that's beyond the hotel's control, but that doesn't make your night's sleep any better.

Room Tip: Unless you can sleep through literally anything, don't get a room that looks out on 6th avenue o...
    • 3 of 5 stars
JMillerAndazSD, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear HM,

Thank you for your feedback as we continue to look for opportunies to improve our product and service. We will certainly share these notes with our team.

We are currently looking at ways we can improve the breakfast experience and we will certianly use this feedback you provided. Feel free to reach out to me directly as I would be interested in speaking with you and have the opportunity to correct this negative experience.

With regards,

canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

This hotel is well situated in San Diego. Rooms are nicely laid out ut there is some noise to contend with. I was there during a conference and I was told that the reason that my room was not cleaned one day was because there were too many guests staying over. Overall the hotel is good quality but not outstanding.

Dear Smallface1,

Thank you for you kind comments and I want to apologize for the comment regarding the make up of your room. This is not a practice that is acceptable and I will investigate how that was mentioned in this case.

Please contact me directly should your travels bring you back to San Diego. I will be sure you are given VIP treatment on your next visit.

All the best,

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We arrived on a Friday night to this “chic destination” (as described on their website) and found ourselves in a frat house. It may have been an unusual situation – graduation time, private parties on the rooftop bar – “one of the city’s hottest lounges”- but it certainly put a damper on our first 48 hrs. We were subject to raucous room parties until at least 5 am. We had read of concerns of noise from the GasLamp quarter, but this was right in our corridor. Our room was nothing to get excited about – small, not one drawer or shelf, and a closet opening into a ventilation system. What did stand out in the room was the “mini” bar – 2.25 litres of various spirits, and even some free snacks. Free, functional WiFi was a bonus. The next morning we requested a room change – the staff were very friendly, apologized profusely and moved us to a better room. More parties on our new floor the next night !
Then things got better. The week days were quiet, the room quite pleasant (but be aware of the open-plan shower, and ours leaked excessively). The lack of a restaurant in the hotel was no problem given the superb location in the Gaslamp area. The rooftop poolbar was great, but full of large parties and not suitable (and often not available) for a quiet drink or swim. The staff were keen, helpful and seemed genuinely apologetic for our earlier experiences. However, Andaz San Diego needs to decide whether they are a luxury boutique hotel (as they describe it) or simply catering to the Gaslamp party crowd. We won’t be back.

4 Thank SfromToronto
Dear SfromToronto,

Thank you for your feedback as we do take your points into strong consideration. As part of the local neighborhood, I understand and appreciate your feedback.

We want guests to have any experience from a quiet weekend to a eventful one. We are looking at opportunites for the future and will take your comments into this discussion.

My very best,