“Great place to hang out but wouldn't stay again.”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #74 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Andaz is lacking in some areas. Especially the little things. When you spend $350 a night on a room, I expect the place to be tip top. The reception area is in need of a makeover. It's not difficult to notice the damaged floors surrounding the front desk. And the reception couch they invite u to enjoy while your checking in. Well it looks like it was pulled straight from the alley. The neglect of these issues leads me to believe its more of a club scene rather than a luxury hotel. The roof top pool is limited for space. Again the focus upstairs is on the night life not the hotel experience. Definetly not the Hyatt I'm used to. Also u might wanna request a room with a mirror as our room did not have one other than the bathroom

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jserrano41
There are newer reviews for Andaz San Diego

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel. I've stayed in a lot of Hyatts around the world(I'm a platinum member) and had rented a suite hoping for nice place for a romantic get-away with my wife. Sadly, while the hotel has a number of nice features, it really wasn't what I was hoping for.

We arrived at about 2, were told that rooms were only guaranteed by 4, but they would do what they could. They said they would upgrade us to a "loft suite", and warned us that the 6th floor was noisy due to the club. We asked for a quieter floor and they said they would take care of it.

Well it was after 5:30 when they finally found us a room - on the noisy 6th floor. They quickly moved us to the 4th (in the normal suite we had booked). They offered us $15 credit, which was sort of a nice gesture, but on a $350/night room, not really the best response to the delay.

The room was very attractive, similar to what I've seen in Park Hyatts, though not especially interesting. No view (light well). Some minor quirks, like no place to hang bath towels, leaking shower door (though stylish), Somewhat dysfunctional shower head, and faint sewage smell in the bathroom. No sound insulation between the toilet and bed room.

There was some noise from the club, but not too bad.

The breakfasts were excellent, The staff tried very hard (though the check-in was a bit of a failure). Hotel was very clean and the public areas were nice with an excellent roof patio. The hotel is located in the very nice gaslight district, full of great food and clubs.

Overall it was OK, but felt a little like a Park Hyatt done not quite right. I know management reads these reviews, so I hope they can improve some of the minor issues and this could be a great hotel rather than a pretty-good (considering the price) hotel. The also need to work a bit on their marketing - even as a frequent Hyatt customer I can't quite tell where they are aiming the Andaz brand.

Room Tip: There are loud clubs in the basement an roof, so some rooms are quite noisy.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I live 3 blocks down from the Andaz hotel and regularly visit the downstairs nightclub and frequent the rooftop bar for drinks and watching sunsets. The club itself is pretty good and also in the summer the rooftop bar is fantastic.
The hotel itself is located in the historic Gaslamp district and keeps its unique boutique feel as a Hyatt property.

Overall this hotel is normally more expensive that staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, but the location of the Andaz is far superior.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel is located in the Gaslamp Quarter, walking distance to lots of good restaurants and the port of San Diego. Hotel staff was very attentive and bend over backwards to fulfill requests. Check-in and check-out was quick with no hassles. Our room was very nice and had an interesting layout. Instead of a wall separating the bedroom and the bathroom, there was a tub & shower, encased in glass, separating the two areas! This room would be good for couples, but not if you have children because of no privacy when you take a shower. I am sure they must have rooms that have more bathroom/shower privacy - not that we inquired since we were okay with the layout. The rooftop pool is smaller than how it is presented in the hotel photo gallery, however the rooftop area itself is pretty nice, lot of sitting area to just to relax and soak in the sun and the city. We enjoyed the Ivy Wine bar where we tasted all different kinds of wine starting at $1.50 a taste to $17+ for a more expensive wine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear 1923NK2013,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy our Ivy Wine Bar and sample a few delicious wines, and that our team was attentive and accommodating to your needs. Yes, we have many room options, many with different bathroom configurations. We hope that you will join us again for more visits to San Diego.
My best,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a good hotel - not great. We found service to be very good - the smiling staff is pleasant and efficient. The rooms (we had a junior suite) are interesting - high ceilings, modern decor, huge bathrooms - the tub is wonderful and you could have 8 people in the shower! Nice. The rooftop pool area is where we had breakfast each day - food and service were good. The hotel's location is interesting: the Gaslight district is the downtown newly-renovated area which is chock- full of interesting shopping and bustling restaurants. I see other hotel guests are commenting on the thumping music - sadly, it is true. Until AFTER 4am? Yes. I guess Andaz is going to have to make a choice between their young all-night party crowd and guests who travel for a good night's rest. I wonder why they can't just switch to some chilled-out music after 2am? Would the rock-star guests throw the furniture over the balcony?

Room Tip: The thumping club is on the roof, so try to get as far away as possible if you go to bed by 2am. The...
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Located next to the Gaslight area in an old renovated building.

Great roof top pool that morphs into a nightclub on weekends. The only drawback is the sound carries down into the guest rooms on the higher floors (anyone for thumping bass all night?).

Early morning room service seems to have a challenge filling orders in a timely manner, so don't expect to easily grab a quick breakfast before an early flight.

The rooms are sleek. I had a loft suite with plenty of space, a great bed, a mini bar with lots of freebies (and a clear view into all the rooms on the other side of the hotel, which means privacy can be dicey).

This isn't a place I'd bring my kids to, but I'd certainly come back with my spouse.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear NumbersAtlanta,
Thank you for sharing details about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our rooftop pool, and that the Andaz Suite was to your liking. Thank you for your comment about room service as well, I will make sure to pass that information on. We hope to welcome you and your spouse back for future visits to San Diego!
Warm regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I travel across the country for work, and I'm on the road about half of the year. I was completely exhausted from traveling for work over the last 25 days, and needed to recharge the batteries. I decided to stay at the Andaz down in the Gaslamp, where I could check out a Padre game with some friends and enjoy a night out. It was FANTASTIC! This was the best hotel experience I've had in years, and the staff was absolutely exceptional. The food was great, the pool was fun, but the service was the best. They really made the stay-cation feel like a true vacation.

I would definitely recommend the Andaz hotel to anyone! I'll see you again soon!

Room Tip: My room had two beds, was on the 5th floor, and was great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Michael L,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego. I am delighted to hear that your “stay-cation” was a true success, and that our team was able to provide to you with the wonderful experience that you desired. We are excited to welcome you again for future visits!
Best,