“Great Hotel, Great rooftop Bar & Pool & Good Nightclub”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #69 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Great Hotel, Great rooftop Bar & Pool & Good Nightclub”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I live 3 blocks down from the Andaz hotel and regularly visit the downstairs nightclub and frequent the rooftop bar for drinks and watching sunsets. The club itself is pretty good and also in the summer the rooftop bar is fantastic.
The hotel itself is located in the historic Gaslamp district and keeps its unique boutique feel as a Hyatt property.

Overall this hotel is normally more expensive that staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, but the location of the Andaz is far superior.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel is located in the Gaslamp Quarter, walking distance to lots of good restaurants and the port of San Diego. Hotel staff was very attentive and bend over backwards to fulfill requests. Check-in and check-out was quick with no hassles. Our room was very nice and had an interesting layout. Instead of a wall separating the bedroom and the bathroom, there was a tub & shower, encased in glass, separating the two areas! This room would be good for couples, but not if you have children because of no privacy when you take a shower. I am sure they must have rooms that have more bathroom/shower privacy - not that we inquired since we were okay with the layout. The rooftop pool is smaller than how it is presented in the hotel photo gallery, however the rooftop area itself is pretty nice, lot of sitting area to just to relax and soak in the sun and the city. We enjoyed the Ivy Wine bar where we tasted all different kinds of wine starting at $1.50 a taste to $17+ for a more expensive wine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear 1923NK2013,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy our Ivy Wine Bar and sample a few delicious wines, and that our team was attentive and accommodating to your needs. Yes, we have many room options, many with different bathroom configurations. We hope that you will join us again for more visits to San Diego.
My best,
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a good hotel - not great. We found service to be very good - the smiling staff is pleasant and efficient. The rooms (we had a junior suite) are interesting - high ceilings, modern decor, huge bathrooms - the tub is wonderful and you could have 8 people in the shower! Nice. The rooftop pool area is where we had breakfast each day - food and service were good. The hotel's location is interesting: the Gaslight district is the downtown newly-renovated area which is chock- full of interesting shopping and bustling restaurants. I see other hotel guests are commenting on the thumping music - sadly, it is true. Until AFTER 4am? Yes. I guess Andaz is going to have to make a choice between their young all-night party crowd and guests who travel for a good night's rest. I wonder why they can't just switch to some chilled-out music after 2am? Would the rock-star guests throw the furniture over the balcony?

Room Tip: The thumping club is on the roof, so try to get as far away as possible if you go to bed by 2am. The...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Located next to the Gaslight area in an old renovated building.

Great roof top pool that morphs into a nightclub on weekends. The only drawback is the sound carries down into the guest rooms on the higher floors (anyone for thumping bass all night?).

Early morning room service seems to have a challenge filling orders in a timely manner, so don't expect to easily grab a quick breakfast before an early flight.

The rooms are sleek. I had a loft suite with plenty of space, a great bed, a mini bar with lots of freebies (and a clear view into all the rooms on the other side of the hotel, which means privacy can be dicey).

This isn't a place I'd bring my kids to, but I'd certainly come back with my spouse.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear NumbersAtlanta,
Thank you for sharing details about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our rooftop pool, and that the Andaz Suite was to your liking. Thank you for your comment about room service as well, I will make sure to pass that information on. We hope to welcome you and your spouse back for future visits to San Diego!
Warm regards,
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I travel across the country for work, and I'm on the road about half of the year. I was completely exhausted from traveling for work over the last 25 days, and needed to recharge the batteries. I decided to stay at the Andaz down in the Gaslamp, where I could check out a Padre game with some friends and enjoy a night out. It was FANTASTIC! This was the best hotel experience I've had in years, and the staff was absolutely exceptional. The food was great, the pool was fun, but the service was the best. They really made the stay-cation feel like a true vacation.

I would definitely recommend the Andaz hotel to anyone! I'll see you again soon!

Room Tip: My room had two beds, was on the 5th floor, and was great!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michael L,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego. I am delighted to hear that your “stay-cation” was a true success, and that our team was able to provide to you with the wonderful experience that you desired. We are excited to welcome you again for future visits!
Best,
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here during the Rock n Roll marathon in June. The staff was nice. Room was adequate....though I was not thrilled with the cleaniless. Surface clean...but then not really (bobby pin on the floor, hair, a packet from someone's conference tucked beside the chair). The rooftop pool and bar are fantastic! Great views and drinks. The location is perfect for getting around downtown. I'll definitely go back. (Oh, and it is dog friendly!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We loved the Andaz and had an awesome stay, but I must give the disclaimer that my husband has platinum status with Hyatt (Andaz is part of the Hyatt chain) so they may have affected what room we were given or what not.

The hotel looks AWESOME, very modern and hip without being sterile or cold looking. We requested and received an early check-in, no problems. The check-in staff greet you in lobby with an ipad, you don't even have to walk over the front desk. It's a small and simple thing, but it's a nice touch as if feels very personal. The staff was also very attentive and friendly.

The room was really great and beautiful! Again very modern and trendy but still super comfy to be in. As in usual with a boutique hotel, the room is not "big" but still plenty of room... big super comfy king bed, quite big desk/table area, VERY well stocked bar, etc.

About the noise everyone complains of... we stayed here on the Saturday night before running the R&R 1/2 marathon, so sleep was VERY important to us. We went to bed on the early side and I remember being able to hear some music and it was just loud enough that I was having some trouble falling asleep, so I got up to investigate and realized there was a window propped open. It's hard to explain how the windows are in these rooms (really large windows that do not open in a typical way) but it was NOT obvious that there was a window open. I looked outside in the courtyard facing other rooms and saw that almost all of them had the window propped open, so it seems that is how the set up the room for you, maybe for fresh air. Once I shut mine, I could hear nothing and slept soundly. It really sealed the room from the noise! I can't be sure, but I would wager a bet that some people having trouble with noise had a window slightly open and didn't know.

We received a late check-out the next day with no issues and after our event had brunch at the roof-top restaurant and it was delicious!! Really great food, coffee, and mimosas! There was a bar and pool up top as well. The only disappointment we had was that there was no hot tub, which would have been awesome after running the 1/2 marathon. But I don't fault them for this because it wasn't advertised as such and it's not typical for a boutique hotel.

The location is obviously awesome! Right in the heart of downtown, walking distance to all the of the Gaslamp. We also walked to the convention center, Balboa Park, and Petco.

The Andaz is quite expensive (even parking is valet only and $35/day!) but we got the really nice hotel and urban "boutique" experience we were paying for. Our stay was excellent and I definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing a room midway up, facing the inside, and find and close the open window...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MerryA,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share detailed feedback about your stay. I am so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our rooftop restaurant and pool, and that our décor and atmosphere were pleasing to you. Thank you for your recommendation as well, your referral is truly our biggest compliment. We hope to see you again for many more visits!
Warm regards,