“Fantastic night out!”

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #72 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Planned a fun night out on the town for my husband’s birthday with bottle service on the roof top of the Andaz. Patricia (the VIP manager) greeted us with warm welcomes and first class treatment. I had mentioned to her the birthday event days before on the phone and within the first 30 min after being escorted to our table, girls with sparkling bottles came prancing out to great us and our friends. Patricia was wonderful and even continued to check in on us and our server throughout the night (class act!). The roof top bar was an extraordinary site and with the lights of downtown san diego as its backdrop. The evening as a huge success and will definitely come back time and time again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Jessica S,
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful rooftop and that your husband’s birthday party was a true success! Thank you for your kind words about Patricia, I will make sure to pass on the compliment. We hope that you will join us again for future events!
Warm regards,
Rusty Middleton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I had booked the Andaz for two nights and pretty quickly upon arrival, I could tell that it wasn't the right fit for us. The property is in a great location with a very hip, young crowd. The room itself was a little "tattered"...marks on the wall and the shower leaked out from a hole in the grout. I did like the complimentary snacks and water and thought the location was ideal but since we weren't looking to party, we were a little underwhelmed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a friend and I was very impressed! It was elegant, sophisticated, and the roof top bar and pool area is amazing! And the location was perfect! The only drawback: there is no complimentary parking for the guests. For the price of the rooms, the parking should be free...$35/day

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Valet staff were on the spot for parking upon arrival, and very friendly, if a little inexperienced in greeting, and getting to my bags. I'm a do it yourselfer for the most part, so this didn't bother me, but I could see it would be a service downfall for some.

Upon check-in the reception was very welcoming, and friendly. I was surprised I'd have to wait for my room to be ready when I was checking in at 3:30. The reception was very nice about it, but didn't offer any kind of amenity. I'd forgotten my Hyatt Gold Passport card, but was assured they would look it up and add it to the reservation, upon following up the next day I discovered it had not been done. Also, upon check-in I was asked if I'd like turn down service around 7:00 pm, and I did request it, and was assured they'd do it. It didn't happen. The hotel faces F-Street, which is not super busy, oddly most streets in downtown San Diego aren't very busy, but one of the windows in my room was poorly fitting, and in fact couldn't even be latched on one side, meaning noise came through more that if the window could be properly closed. When you consider the quality of the bathroom fixtures, and level of design, these kinds of malfunctions really stand out.

I appreciated the nice touches like coffee maker in the room, small complementary snacks, and complementary bottled water, comfy bathrobes (though no slippers) very nice.

Cleanliness was top notch, the room, halls, common areas, lobby restrooms were all spotless, even with the challenge in the lobby restrooms of floor-to-ceiling mirrors used as the backsplash for the wash basins...they were clean, even if the automatic tap sensor didn't work on one of the sinks.

Breakfast was a buffet, with soupy eggs which I'm never sure is better or worse than dry overcooked eggs, ideally, they would be properly cooked? The fresh fruit was very high quality, and nicely prepared. No yogurt, which was odd. The coffee was very good, something that's not always the case.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street unless you can ensure the windows fully close and seal.
1  Thank autobiztravel
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Walkable to everything in the Gaslamp. Modern, clean, sleek from their seated check-in, chic rooms, rooftop pool, and Katsuya japanese restaurant on site. The rooftop pool/bar/lounge happy hour and the people watching, is entertaining (the hipsters are trying so hard).

I'm actually typing this review from one of the pool side cabanas on a Monday evening. Perfect place to enjoy a libation and surf the internet.

1  Thank Jacqueline N
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Jaspa33,
Thank you for taking the time while poolside to discuss your visit with us at Andaz San Diego. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of our amenities and dining venues! We hope that you will join us again soon!
Warm regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a different type of Hyatt hotel. Great location in the Gaslamp District. The hotel staff treated us like the special people we were (for our anniversary). The self-serve wine bar was a nice touch - we could sample a very large selection of wines for as low as $2 a taste. Concierge offered some great local places to go for meals and entertainment including a piano bar within 2 blocks. We'll definitely return for some special times.

Since we used Hyatt points, I can't comment on the true price value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Susan W,
Thank you for taking the time to share details about your stay with us at Andaz San Diego. I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time celebrating your anniversary with us and that our staff could help to make your day even more special! We hope to see you again for many more vacations to San Diego!
Best,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very modern style. Excellent staff - compliments to everyone I interacted with from maid service to meeting coordinators to front desk. Room was standard in size. Had an interior courtyard room. Free wi-fi. Roof-top pool and dining have great views. When you arrive, you are checked in via iPad - very personal. Also, there are welcome drinks. Room keys had letters corresponding to themes - I had W for Wild and Ca for Calm. Nice touch. Minimalist lighting in the corridors and bespoke carpets on each floor outside the elevators. Bathrooms are top level. Toto, great shower area, good amenities especially the Acquafresh toothpaste. Some freebie goodies in the basket at the bar area. Work area chair is leather and extremely comfortable. Good lighting throughout. Lounge area at TV is welcome. Lost of plugs for the electronics. Food at the meetings was really good. Meeting area had innovative lighting. Areas for improvement are that there is street noise (from others in my group with exterior facing rooms) and I could hear the person in the next room go through a long coughing spell. Lots of restaurants and bars and bars in the area. 10 minute walk to Petco Park for baseball and 20 minute walk to the Midway or convention center.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms.
1  Thank Ralff