“Really enjoyed my (too brief) visit”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #73 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had a very short stay so I can't comment on all the amenities as I normally would. I was really wowed by the art and design of this hotel, from the large painting in the reception area to the European-style bath/shower in my room. It was a treat to visit the rooftop bar at night and gaze across the pool at beautiful views of the San Diego's Gaslamp district and the rest of the city. A large blue-flamed fire pit kept us warm on the roof in the evening, as did the bright sunlight at breakfast on the roof the next day. I found the staff incredibly responsive and helpful. The location is perfect for a San Diego "city life" visit (rather than a beaches/hiking/watersports-style visit). I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Andaz San Diego

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had a suite here and the room was amazing. Saw the standard room and it is a little small. However, if you're not spending a lot of time in the room, then the standard is fine. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooftop bar is very nice. Good vibe on a Saturday---yes, drinks are expensive, but welcome to going out downtown!

Room Tip: If you can afford suite, upgrade!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Very cool, sophisticated vibe at the rooftop nightclub. Tons of people nicely dressed. Drinks seemed a little overpriced, bartenders seemed too swamped for friendly service. We didn't stay at the hotel, but had a really nice tour of a couple of rooms by a helpful staff member. They're sleek and nice, if a little small.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at Andaz this week in Gaslamp District. Lovely, trendy and newer boutique hotel by Hyatt. Beautiful rooms with excellent staff. Heated swimming pool on the roof (with a bar close by) with 24 hour gym and lots included in the rate. Close to everything. - Convention Center, shopping, yummy restaurants, and baseball stadium can be seen from roof just a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Don't take a room 1 (e.g. 401) on any floor as it backs up to elevators. Higher numbered rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Great customer service. Everyone from valet to club security super friendly and considerate. We did have a minor housekeeping issue. Apparently, we either had a bathroom flood or a flood in the hallway in front of our room. We had a giant fan in the hallway drying the carpet from the time we checked in until we checked out. We also had a soggy carpet spot in our room. We understand things happen. It didn't affect our stay but soggy carpet is a little gross. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Andaz San Diego last weekend. The front desk staff were very kind and accommodating. What really stood out at the Andaz in San Diego was the service. Matt, at the front, was more than hospitable. In fact, he was very understanding and willing to work with our group in every way. He was very friendly and I would definitely recommend others to stay at the hotel! The only downside would be the valet cost, but other than that it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear deehyang,

I am delighted to hear that you and your friends had a memorable Bachelorette Weekend with us at Andaz San Diego! Thank you for your recommendation and for your kind words about Matt, I will make sure to pass on this compliment to him. We hope to welcome you back for future stays!

All the best,

Rusty Middleton

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I traveled to San Diego on our honeymoon and stayed for 5 nights at the Andaz Hotel in San Diego. We stayed on the 4th floor in the KingXL room. Check-in was a breeze, but we were not offered a complimentary beverage as stated in other reviews (and on their website). Our room was not exactly as pictured, but we were still pleased. The hotel provides complimentary beverages and snacks and the in-room menu makes it VERY clear what is free and what is not. The hotel sent a bottle of wine, glasses, and chocolates to our room for our honeymoon, which I felt was very thoughtful. We had the breakfast package, and the food and view from the rooftop were both impressive. The hotel also offered us complimentary turndown service; our bed was always ready (with a free bottle of water and a sweet note) after a long day/night out.

The hotel is in an excellent location. It is close to the main strip of restaurants, bars, and shopping. It is also a reasonable walking distance to the trolley stop, Seaport Village, and the Navy Pier.

I travel quite a bit for work, and I can honestly say the service at this hotel is nearly unmatched. The valet crew is more than happy to hail you a cab, give you directions to anywhere in town, and explain the public transportation system. We also took several trips in the hotel SUV (gratuity-based service).

Overall, we had an amazing trip to San Diego and I would absolutely stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. If you book here, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors avoid the noise of the nightclub on the weekend. The corner XL King Room o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple